Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
You were doing so good until you went off on your TDS rant, then the post became noise and you lost your ability to convey the original message.

BLM has had the same problem, whatever message they hoped to communicate got drowned out by the rioting and they’re now worse off then when they started.

Just tryin to help ya out ;)
It's a slippery slope and I slid down I suppose. I do agree that the BLM stuff went too far and turned an advantage into an effective Trump talking point message

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's something that looks like big spin:
Measures to control coronavirus have brought flu infections to 'historic lows.' Scientists want to keep it that way.
Thinking of various things:
  • There are widespread claims that other problems are being wrongly diagnosed as covid-19
  • there's a big overlap between flu and covid symptoms
  • Flu cases are way down

Just connecting the dots. I don't have any medical qualifications to base any claims on.
Hi tigerwillow, that was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

There's a big overlap indeed in flu symptoms and those from COVID-19, and also RSV for that matter. So much so that diagnostics companies are releasing tests that can do all three (actually, four since influenza A and B are different) at once from one sample, lowering cost and reducing inconvenience for patients. Here's an example.

But, almost all COVID-19 diagnoses (and thus, most recorded cases of it) come from a positive PCR test. The flu won't cause a positive test for COVID-19. So, it's easy to rule out that many of the COVID-19 cases are just the flu, with flu being under-reported.

What's really interesting is this line from the article, referring to the prevelance of influenza in the US population:

"The weekly average of positive lab results is now 0.2 percent, compared with 2.35 percent in 2019. The positive rate is usually between 1 and 2 percent. "

So, if it's normally 1-2% this time of year, and it's 0.2% now, that means the amount of flu circulating is about 1/5 to 1/10 normal. Flu and COVID-19 spread the same way: people breathe on each other and spread droplets when they talk, cough, sneeze, pick their noses... We are using masks and social distancing this year, and from the numbers above, this has contributed to a dramatic 5-10x reduction in the flu prevalence. Since flu and COVID-19 spread the same way, it's reasonable to conclude that at least to an approximation, the distancing measures we are taking are having a similar effect on COVID-19 spread as is being seen on influenza.

In other words, the measured impact on influenza spread can be used as a strong proxy to extrapolate how much more COVID-19 spread there would be if we hadn't been doing lockdowns and social distancing and masks and such. There may be subtle differences between effectiveness of masks and other distancing measures between flu and COVID-19, but they should be in the same ballpark since the key in both cases is droplet containment. So, by this logic, if the US hadn't done what it did, we might be seeing 5x-10x as many infectious people circulating.

Yesterday I talked about Sweden (relatively little done initially, with a light touch) versus Norway/Finland (a lot done quickly, quite strongly) and the difference in cases and death rates was ... you guessed it... 10X.

I know a lot of people are looking for proof that the measures we took either worked, or didn't work, so we can make good decisions about what to do between now and vaccine time. The reasoning I propose above suggests that what we've done so far has been effective.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Email Records Show Democrat Nashville Mayor Hid COVID-19 Data To Intentionally Inflict Economic Hardship on Bars and Restaurants…

While the background story of data manipulation to intentionally inflict economic damage is stunning, the severity of the position of Nashville Democrat Mayor John Cooper is actually not a surprise.

It must be remembered this is the same Nashville Mayor who created COVID-19 internment camps to forcibly detain people in a quarantine camp at a fairground. When one person jumped the fence to escape the police hunted him down and Nashville authorities charged him with “escaping a penal institution.” COVID-19 was criminalized.

Two months after the internment camp incident a non-domiciled Nashville citizen named Joseph Bryant (61) was arrested for refusing to wear a face mask outside. His bail was set at $500 and he was incarcerated for not wearing a face mask. So it doesn’t come as a complete surprise to discover the same officials hid data showing low COVID-19 infection rates in order to inflict the maximum amount of economic pain on business owners.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Here's something that looks like big spin:
Measures to control coronavirus have brought flu infections to 'historic lows.' Scientists want to keep it that way.
Thinking of various things:
  • There are widespread claims that other problems are being wrongly diagnosed as covid-19
  • there's a big overlap between flu and covid symptoms
  • Flu cases are way down

Just connecting the dots. I don't have any medical qualifications to base any claims on.
when this whole mess started and my employer sent everyone home to work i have been pushing for it to either be permanent, semi-permanent, or at the very least expand the ability for more people to do it; as at the time only upper management really had that ability.
In february our department was down 1/3 of our workers for 2 weeks due to the flu, many of the people were healthy enough to work technically, but were contagious. If they had been allowed to work from home we would of had more people, and probably those who were sick wouldnt of gone to work anyway only to infect people before being sent home.

Hi tigerwillow, that was an interesting article. Thanks for posting it.

know a lot of people are looking for proof that the measures we took either worked, or didn't work, so we can make good decisions about what to do between now and vaccine time. The reasoning I propose above suggests that what we've done so far has been effective.

i am hoping mask usages carries on past Covid. Its common in asian countries that when you are sick you wear a face mask so you dont get others sick. frankly thats something that really needs to occur here. You can still go about your business, but at least take some precaution so that you arent harming otthers.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to agree with the last part A&OC. If I'm sick I stay home, always have and always will. A mask can certainly reduce the possibility of spreading if you can't stay home.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Email Records Show Democrat Nashville Mayor Hid COVID-19 Data To Intentionally Inflict Economic Hardship on Bars and Restaurants…

While the background story of data manipulation to intentionally inflict economic damage is stunning, the severity of the position of Nashville Democrat Mayor John Cooper is actually not a surprise.

It must be remembered this is the same Nashville Mayor who created COVID-19 internment camps to forcibly detain people in a quarantine camp at a fairground. When one person jumped the fence to escape the police hunted him down and Nashville authorities charged him with “escaping a penal institution.” COVID-19 was criminalized.

Two months after the internment camp incident a non-domiciled Nashville citizen named Joseph Bryant (61) was arrested for refusing to wear a face mask outside. His bail was set at $500 and he was incarcerated for not wearing a face mask. So it doesn’t come as a complete surprise to discover the same officials hid data showing low COVID-19 infection rates in order to inflict the maximum amount of economic pain on business owners.

This just shows how much politics have played a role in Covid-19.

mcapeed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i am hoping mask usages carries on past Covid. Its common in asian countries that when you are sick you wear a face mask so you dont get others sick. frankly thats something that really needs to occur here. You can still go about your business, but at least take some precaution so that you arent harming otthers.[/QUOTE]

I go to public places and observe people wearing masks touching and adjusting them with great frequency. I observe those not wearing masks touching their face / mouth area infrequently if at all.

If one is sick and frequently touching mask would this not spread the germs we are trying to contain?

Kn10

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In Australia recently we had a breakout of covid from Hotel Quarantine in one state that was potentially going to explode out.
The state govt went into an extreme lockdown stage 4 and the numbers are dropping.
I mentioned similar in an earlier post. Victoria locked down hard and forced a mask mandate. You get a warning and then you get fined for not wearing as mask.

I also said that the US is obviously a different beast. Population and politics wise.
The US obviously has a much larger population as a country, but the state of Massachusetts has a similar population to Victoria where the outbreak happened. (Again, there are different variables of course)

Massachusetts:Victoria:
Population: 6.7 MillionPopulation: 6.49 million
Cases: 126,000Cases: 26,813
Deaths: 9,260Deaths: 832

Lockdowns and masks suck. But I believe most Aussies believe it works.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Its pathetic that politics will attempt to get in the way of life when life, particularly saving lives, takes precedence before anything else

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score

This entire story is a fabrication. I read the "conservativetreehouse" article that shows the original email and I watched the FoxNews local channel hit job. They've taken actual emails and constructed a damning narrative around what is actually pretty routine correspondence citing benign data release standards.

Here's the main email:

1600432589096.png

It's very clear that they don't single out low case # bars... this is to protect the businesses that have very low counts of traced cases, not to inflict hardship. Even the specific bars with over ten cases each aren't being singled out. They are sticking to the number for the general area and providing data for it. In any statistical exercise, you routinely don't report numbers where the statistical significance is very low... this is exactly that. So they are choosing to bin the various businesses together and noting that the number changes frequently. What city "outs" restaurants and bars individually by providing bar-by-bar case counts? Is that what you are advocating for?

There's nothing damning in this AT ALL. Very clearly this is an effort to not over-react to the low numbers and preserve businesses. while providing the public with an overall count for the area, which anyone could easily see is pretty low compared to the overall case spread in the area. The conservative machine is trying to spin it with a negative valence to damage the democtratic leadership there.

Armed&Overclocked

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i am hoping mask usages carries on past Covid. Its common in asian countries that when you are sick you wear a face mask so you dont get others sick. frankly thats something that really needs to occur here. You can still go about your business, but at least take some precaution so that you arent harming otthers.
I go to public places and observe people wearing masks touching and adjusting them with great frequency. I observe those not wearing masks touching their face / mouth area infrequently if at all.

If one is sick and frequently touching mask would this not spread the germs we are trying to contain?
[/QUOTE]

probably, just like if people wear masks but keep their noses exposed, or wear the mask like a chin strap, improper usage will have a reduced effect.

i think if the population were to wear it properly, even if they touched it semi-frequently and then touched other things, we'd still have a net negative impact on disease transmission compared to a similar population not wearing masks. You may still have infection spread due to touching contaminated surfaces, but you would still be reducing particulate emissions.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
This entire story is a fabrication. I read the "conservativetreehouse" article that shows the original email and I watched the FoxNews local channel hit job. They've taken actual emails and constructed a damning narrative around what is actually pretty routine correspondence citing benign data release standards.

Here's the main email:

View attachment 70777

It's very clear that they don't single out low case # bars... this is to protect the businesses that have very low counts of traced cases, not to inflict hardship. Even the specific bars with over ten cases each aren't being singled out. They are sticking to the number for the general area and providing data for it. In any statistical exercise, you routinely don't report numbers where the statistical significance is very low... this is exactly that. So they are choosing to bin the various businesses together and noting that the number changes frequently. What city "outs" restaurants and bars individually by providing bar-by-bar case counts? Is that what you are advocating for?

There's nothing damning in this AT ALL. Very clearly this is an effort to not over-react to the low numbers and preserve businesses. while providing the public with an overall count for the area, which anyone could easily see is pretty low compared to the overall case spread in the area. The conservative machine is trying to spin it with a negative valence to damage the democtratic leadership there.
They ar

Here's the main email:

View attachment 70777

That is your opinion. The businesses in Nashville and the city council members say otherwise.