Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem is that you could have had it and been asymptomatic or had symptoms so mild you didn't pay attention to it. My gut feeling is that the real number is much, much, larger than even the "experts" suspect and that we will never know for certain.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Just kick the passengers in :rofl:

I have read some news stories about a handful of people globally that have had confirmed reinfection. idk if they were immune compromised or not though.

I also know that very early some people were testing positive, then negative and then a few weeks later tested positive again. but those were never confirmed as being re-infections or just a continuation of the previous one.

thankfully such stories are rare, i'd be super worried if they were more common as if people could get re-infected then the likelihood a vaccine would work would be quite low.

Oddthat they would hold up the train for that long.

the Japanese are quite anal about making sure their train system runs on time. There WILL be another train to come along and even if one is late you will get a note saying as such to prove to your employer. As you cant really blame their public transportation system on why you are late usually.

I think the red cross is doing free anti-body testing if you donate blood or platelets. so if your insurance doesn't cover this kind of test you could get it for free through them.

though I still don't trust them at this stage in the game.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm pretty a lot of us have already been exposed to COVID, yet had mild symptoms and made swift recovery. Ultimately depends on our immunity. Not all immune systems are equal unfortunately due to many predisposing factors

The problem is that you could have had it and been asymptomatic or had symptoms so mild you didn't pay attention to it. My gut feeling is that the real number is much, much, larger than even the "experts" suspect and that we will never know for certain.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting write-up on potential re-infection cases:

Reaction score
I work at a specialized residential school.
Imagine a sample size of ~150 students age 6 to 14. All are tested upon arrival, and 7 are positive. Of the seven positives-- NONE showed any symptoms, and NONE had a fever. None.

What are the odds of that happening independently and exclusively here? What are the odds that 7 no-fever and fully asymptomatic positive cases occurred out of a sample size of 150 students? It is FAR more likely that what we tested and identified here is REPRESENTATIVE of the greater population, rather than a fluke outlier. It's not uncommon for a school to have 1,500 students-- among them could easily be 70 asymptomatic students unknowingly spreading it far and wide. I believe the infection rate is FAR higher than the known cases. Checking for a fever is pretty worthless.

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Oh, but that experience is not a clinically controlled double blind study of volunteers and is therefor nothing more than anecdotal information of little value. Wait a second, who would volunteer to get the CCP Virus? Oh well....

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wait a second, who would volunteer to get the CCP Virus?
Me. Could I then get back to life without wearing this stupid piece of fabric over my face? I'll take the extremely miniscule chance of dying if it means I get to live my life.

Although I'm sure I've had it already. I'll likely never know for sure.

Reaction score
I concur that the infection rate is far higher than what has tested positive, especially since testing was sparse up until about June-ish depending on where you lived.

with that said checking for a fever still has merit. if a person is symptomatic there is no reason to ignore them. It'd be like a security guard at a concert venue ceasing pat downs even the ones that obviously have something they shouldn't.
If they are symptomatic (fever or not), they should be HOME.

My point was that the only way we knew they had it was because we tested everyone for it. Checking for a fever never would have resulted in discovering any of the positives we found. Most of them never exhibited symptoms-- never gave any sign that they had COVID. They had their temp taken a half dozen times--- that's 6 FALSE NEGATIVES. We could also admit that there is a chance these students were false positives in the COVID test results. Then one must ask-- what are the odds of 7 false positives all happening at the same place at the same time? Not very likely at all.

How many schools are essentially relying on thermometers to screen out sick students? It's ineffective, unless a student is already exhibiting other symptoms which would already trigger sending them home.

Reaction score
I got your meaning, and agree that they should be at home, but people don't always do the smart thing, and children don't always have the smartest parents.

with that said its good you guys tested everyone, that'd be the only way i'd be kosher with schools opening back up to be honest. Sadly not all systems have taken it that seriously, and that can be problematic. The students may be fine, but the teachers and parents may not be .
Yup--- exactly. As a boarding school, we knew that if we can get the kids here and verify them as COVID-free, then the only way they get sick is from a staff bringing it in. The most documented cases within South Dakota are among younger people. I bet there are thousands more.....

1601931249335.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think the super aggressive manner that those medications were administered in is a big reason, along with his overall good health (not to discount being overweight and 74) might change the whole way treatment is conducted. Rather than waiting for symptoms to develop start out full throttle and avoid those symptoms, and the complications they cause, entirely.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not a doctor, don't play one on TV and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think the super aggressive manner that those medications were administered in is a big reason, along with his overall good health (not to discount being overweight and 74) might change the whole way treatment is conducted. Rather than waiting for symptoms to develop start out full throttle and avoid those symptoms, and the complications they cause, entirely.
Yes, but this would depend upon very rapid detection of an infection. He was tested nearly daily and the infection was caught faster than a regular person would likely be able to hope for.

Also, the antibody therapy is not particularly accessible at this time to the rank and file. However, he was a good candidate for the compassionate use path so it was appropriate for it to be tried. Lilly will have their hands full now that it is a topic of dinner table conversation.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I still think that starting much more aggressive treatment sooner would have a big, positive, effect on outcomes. Most, not all certainly, but most doctors seem rather "conservative" when treating and wait for more symptoms to develop or existing symptoms to worsen before ramping things up. Its too late then.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I still think that starting much more aggressive treatment sooner would have a big, positive, effect on outcomes. Most, not all certainly, but most doctors seem rather "conservative" when treating and wait for more symptoms to develop or existing symptoms to worsen before ramping things up. Its too late then.
That is true. Most doctors that I have seen want to be aggressive on the treatment right away. They do not want it to get into the lungs and an aggressive treatment goes a long way in preventing that from happening. I am also following President Trump's advice and I am just going about my normal business but following the guide lines such as social distancing.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score