Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We've seen this in Europe. Airlines slashing 90% of their flights, Norwegian Airlines temporarily laying off 7300 staff with the other airlines following suit, zero flights to Italy and other countries (and from I think), all but essential travel cancelled. Car manufacturers following close behind with shutting down production lines. We're in for a big recession.
Indeed @essjay

We're in for a hit on this. Thankfully seems like all governments / central banks are planning to soften the impact.

With some good prep we should see the blow significantly soften so that once the corona wave hit is done the economies will recover quickly and we'll hopefully not see a prolonged stagnant economic situation.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
"A single traveler from China infected 39 people in Washington state with China’s coronavirus, according to virus expert Trevor Bedford.
“Thanks to sequencing by @UWVirology @CDCgov and @seattleflustudy we have genomes for 39 viruses sampled from WA,” he tweeted Tuesday. “Importantly 35 of these 39 viruses (90%) fall into a single genetic cluster indicating a single ~Jan introduction from China and subsequent local spread.”

More at the link: Coronavirus Study: One Traveler from China Infected 39 in Washington State

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We had two more die last night in the hospital I work.
Personal protection equipment is starting to run out. I'm a tier one provider and we need to switch from CAPR's down to N95 masks.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What's frightening is when you see patients doing walk-ins into a Family Medicine practice demanding help even though at this point all non-urgent care clinics are supposed to send "sick" patients straight to an ER (at least from what I've been told)

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
My son's orthodontist just cancelled all appointments for a while on advice of ADA. Damn, he was supposed to get bands removed Monday. And later in day, fillings by dentist probably also cancelled.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you all think there should be a two week lockdown across the entire world (in affected countries)?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My son's orthodontist just cancelled all appointments for a while on advice of ADA. Damn, he was supposed to get bands removed Monday. And later in day, fillings by dentist probably also cancelled.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
That was one of the things preppers suggested taking care of before the panic - specifically dental work. If there are any toothaches, they needed to be addressed before DDS's decided the risk was too great to treat. Nothing like being in a lock down with an infected tooth...

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I live next door to my DDS. He was not planning on shutting down. He is keeping one office staff person to handle the phones and cancel appointments. He will do emergency appointments if critical.

The sad part is that this is a new practices. he does not want to furlough his staff. His fixed costs are over $40,000 per month, (staff,office space, rental)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What puzzles me that is that if New York's Governor Andrew Cuomo knows that the number of cases is only going to multiply, why not just issue a mandatory 2-week shutdown?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Check back AFTER the EMP. Most don't plan AHEAD.
The clusterfuck will happen when there an accidental collision of a couple of satellites with the debris going everywhere and colliding with other satellites...the world will go back to the stone ages in a matter of days.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Comment of Q1 2020

The clusterfuck will happen when there an accidental collision of a couple of satellites with the debris going everywhere and colliding with other satellites...the world will go back to the stone ages in a matter of days.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Aliens from outer-space are watching this and their response is, "say what?!"

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Twitter has a lot of guys spreading rumors on China, they said Chinese are too hungry and eat bat, god damn we never eat it . Right now the focus is to protect yourself and your family.
There will be 0% infection if you wear a mask when go to busy places and not touch your eyes, mouth, nose, wash your hands. Maybe some westen people think the mask only for sick people, but that is the best way that we can do to anti the virus.
You have to ignore that stuff. How do you know it is Western People? That's not fair.

In this day and age it can be who you very well might not think it to be, even your own government to stir up distention or nationalism.