Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Curiously no human to human transmission has been noted. If there is human to human transmission, it will be similar to SARS epidemic a few years ago. The old, young and the immunosuppressed are at risk.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The virus is microscopic, but the envelope which contains it - usually a micro droplet from breathing/sneezing/coughing - would be stopped or at least minimized by the mask. Further, by having a barrier between the nose/mouth and hands reduces the risk of inadvertently touching the face with contaminated hands.

And masks/face shields/eye-protection are not mutually exclusive.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The masks that filter out viruses would have tiny pores.

Still better to wear a mask though. Wash ya hands. Avoid un-necessary travel.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll stick to my mask that filters out VOCs. That would probably stop it but it is a tad bulky.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found this to be a very good video on the corona virus topic

Dr. John Campbell
186K subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
Basic information about the novel Coronarvirus, currently in China. Coronaviruses (CoV) A large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe respiratory diseases. A new novel virus identified from humans 29th December 2019, 2019-nCoV

key take aways:

Transmission
Direct from animals, vectors
Human to human
Droplet, nasal or mouth mucosa, eyes
Coughs and sneezes spread diseases - over 2 metres
Catch it - bin it - kill it ( new phrase to me basically: use tissue when you cough, sneeze and discard )
Surfaces - hands - mucous membranes
Virus contained in an envelope, so virus can stay dormant for 5 days
Fomites
Closed environments, less likely outside

Protection
1. Stay home, avoid planes, buses, trains, busy areas
2. No visitors avoid close contact with symptomatic people or potential carriers
3. Wear a quality medical mask
4. Wrap around glasses
5. Gloves and meticulous hand hygiene, don’t touch eyes, nose mouth ( wash hands .. )
6. Don’t trust hand sanitizers
7. Avoid hospitals

1580175488867.png1580175488867.png

update: youtube link to the video here.. he does take his time to explain it, so if you're in a hurry just read his description. ( much of it I included above.. )

Last edited:

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes it has.
Nah where I live. Best to check data for where you live.

The Chinese data is unreliable. I am hopeful that the current mutation can't jump that easily. If it's just a zoonosis, it will affect the people who find certain animals yummy. ;)

If it can go from human to human, it will be very similar to the SARs epidemic. It will bloom and eventually be contained. The weak and unlucky will succumb. How long are you going to wear goggles, masks and stay inside for?

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Also it's best to get the information from the proper sources. While that doc John Campbell is ok it's probably faster and more organised to just read the official information. Youtube stuff is unfiltered and any one with a mic can make up stuff as they please.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, while the "official" talking points are all neatly coordinated in one direction or another. Based on anecdotal information from reliable sources that deal with the affected area all day, every day, the "official" line is very understated and there is a very serious problem going on. Human to human transmission seems to be a major vector unless it's easily airborne and, if that's the case, we're all in the deep soup.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, while the "official" talking points are all neatly coordinated in one direction or another. Based on anecdotal information from reliable sources that deal with the affected area all day, every day, the "official" line is very understated and there is a very serious problem going on. Human to human transmission seems to be a major vector unless it's easily airborne and, if that's the case, we're all in the deep soup.
FYI -

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
News: Wow, some of this you just can't make up..

COPENHAGEN: China’s embassy in Denmark has demanded an apology from daily Jyllands-Posten after it published a cartoon of the Chinese flag with its five yellow stars represented by coronavirus particles.

In a statement, the embassy said Jyllands-Posten and Danish artist Niels Bo Bojesen should apologise to the Chinese people for publishing the image, captioned “Coronavirus“, in Monday’s edition of the paper.

1580239827956.png

ref:

1580239880107.png

ref:

“I have nothing else to say about it other than that we have a very, very strong tradition in Denmark, not only for free speech, but also for satirical drawings, and that will continue in the future as well. It is a well-known Danish position, and we won’t change that,” she said ( Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen )

I at first thought this must be some sort of joke... however I noticed even reuters posted this..

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found this video interesting

Coronavirus update #3 by pulmonologist Dr. Seheult. This video covers coronavirus spread, vaccine developments, quarantine strategies, coronavirus transmission, and projections. This video was released on January 28, 2020

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw a post above talking about 14 day infectious incubation period. This does not appear to be the case. As far as they can tell, the incubation period is not an infectious period. They have been looking into it and have no reason to think it's contagious during incubation period.

This is a serious event, but practical risk is lower than influenza. At least for influenza there is a vaccine that is something like 50% effective.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Number of cases has doubled in past 48 hours to over 6000 Passing the 2003 SARS.

Agree you have a far better chance if dying from regular influenza, still the numbers are in hockey stick territory right now.

Human to human transmission seems the case now.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First cases of human-human transmission reported. Still not the most common though.

Lets hope the virus remains mostly zoonotic. Then it will only infect people who think certain animals have the right to be delicious and eat it without cooking.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Japanese bus driver has contracted it from tourists. Japanese aren't exactly known for hugging everyone. Human to human is pretty much confirmed.

I'm a doc and wife is an epidemiologist. We consider this a growing threat.
Wife is an ER doc and up until the last two days she thought I went off the deep end getting supplies. Over the last two days, I've seen her with her face buried in her phone researching. She too is now quite concerned.

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm in Maymar, gettng ready to fly home (cutting my vaation short). flying out tommorw thru Hong Kong, Will send some photos of the airport, Yea, things are getting real here in Asia. I'm more worried about civil unrest then the Virus, BTW, I'm a nurse, have a better the average knowalge of illness, Usually don't worry about such thing (seen plenty of things with 35 years of medical experines). Talked with a Spanish Expat from Shanghi. He feels the politican in China are scared to death, Not being forth coming about what they know, stay tunedm cant get of of Asia fast enough, Things happening real fast