Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
That guy! Douchebag is as douchebag does.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
FuQ you for assuming that you know what I believe without asking me what I believe @Oceanslider. If you had the intelligence to ask me instead what my opinion might be, instead of assuming what it was, I'd tell you that -- no -- I don't believe that the President colluded with the Russians. And if you were to ask me as to my opinion of Adam Schiff I'd tell you that I believe that Schiff is an asshole...just like Trump...and apparently just like you. It's fairly clear that in your special world you only tolerate opinions that mirror your opinions; that's what we call a Snowflake who needs a safe space where the only opinions they hear are their own.
Fair enough. I shouldn't have posted that as assuming that was your position. I honestly said that in jest, as I don't think you are stupid.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an update from deep in the hanging chad state, just went to get a blood test, no not the Corona, thyroid. And I can tell you there are very few folks paying attention to our stay at home order.

6 lane highway busy as normal, did not see a single business closed in 3 miles to labcorp, in a busy, dense area. The only indication that anything was different were face masks seem to be commonplace- maybe 30-40% of the folks I saw (yes I wear one), and longer lines than usual of cars at the fast food joints.

I actually felt like I might have missed the order to go back to work and normal daily life and felt out of place ....:idk:

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's another study with early results on HCQ: No clinical benefit in very ill patients with pneumonia. This is the second one I've seen that used randomized controlled trial procedures that shows no clinical outcome improvement and about 10% had to discontinue due to cardiac problems with HCQ as expected; the prior one was too few patients for me to take seriously.

This study did include azithromycin as appropriate. Some folks suggest zinc supplements need to be included to show benefit with HCQ; I think several trials are underway looking at that now.

If the trend continues this is very bad news due to the wide availability of HCQ. On the other hand several antivirals are looking very promising at the moment.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's another study with early results on HCQ: No clinical benefit in very ill patients with pneumonia. This is the second one I've seen that used randomized controlled trial procedures that shows no clinical outcome improvement and about 10% had to discontinue due to cardiac problems with HCQ as expected; the prior one was too few patients for me to take seriously.

This study did include azithromycin as appropriate. Some folks suggest zinc supplements need to be included to show benefit with HCQ; I think several trials are underway looking at that now.

If the trend continues this is very bad news due to the wide availability of HCQ. On the other hand several antivirals are looking very promising at the moment.
Yes, it's my understanding that for many if you wait too long the HCQ will not be able to save you. Better to take it sooner than later after the Covid-19 diagnosis...maybe immediately.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Just an update from deep in the hanging chad state, just went to get a blood test, no not the Corona, thyroid. And I can tell you there are very few folks paying attention to our stay at home order.

6 lane highway busy as normal, did not see a single business closed in 3 miles to labcorp, in a busy, dense area. The only indication that anything was different were face masks seem to be commonplace- maybe 30-40% of the folks I saw (yes I wear one), and longer lines than usual of cars at the fast food joints.

I actually felt like I might have missed the order to go back to work and normal daily life and felt out of place ....:idk:
Your observations were the same of mine yesterday. I had to go to a different Sam's Club (in Orange County - Orlando) to pick up an online order. 99.9% of the people had masks on in line and the store. Seemed like all the businesses were open with the exception of restaurants.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
We all see the statistics of x million masks, gowns and face shields delivered on a daily basis. We all also see the reports of not enough PPE equipment, masks, gowns, face shields, to protect our health care workers. Ever wonder where all that stuff goes. I may have found out, anecdotally.

I was just at the hospital for a regular "fill up". As the nurse was getting ready to set the IV I asked her that very question. She opened the drawer in the cart that has the IV setups in it. Normally, it's stuffed full. Today it was almost empty. She told me that everyone is now keeping their allotments of PPE under lock and key. The first week of the "stay at home" order half of her stuff, including the IV setups, was stolen. The hospital staff is stealing, apparently, stealing a large amount of that PPE gear. Maybe for their own use at home or maybe to sell.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
We all see the statistics of x million masks, gowns and face shields delivered on a daily basis. We all also see the reports of not enough PPE equipment, masks, gowns, face shields, to protect our health care workers. Ever wonder where all that stuff goes. I may have found out, anecdotally.

I was just at the hospital for a regular "fill up". As the nurse was getting ready to set the IV I asked her that very question. She opened the drawer in the cart that has the IV setups in it. Normally, it's stuffed full. Today it was almost empty. She told me that everyone is now keeping their allotments of PPE under lock and key. The first week of the "stay at home" order half of her stuff, including the IV setups, was stolen. The hospital staff is stealing, apparently, stealing a large amount of that PPE gear. Maybe for their own use at home or maybe to sell.
I'm sure a lot of employees stole it to give to their friends and family. It's understandable if you can't buy it that they will do what it takes to protect their loved ones. I'm happy that I had already taken decent steps to prep. I'm not what you call a prepper by prepper standards but non-preppers would still probably think I'm an oddball to have purchased a lot of this kind of stuff years ago.

Kind of wondering when real food shortages will start to happen at the grocery stores with veggies rotting in the fields and animals not going to slaughter and milk being poured on the ground. It doesn't give me the warm fuzzies that the IMF the other day stated it looks like this could very well end up worst than the Great Depression. Funny how we may have asked our grandparents what the Great Depression was like and it may turn out we might learn first hand.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Your observations were the same of mine yesterday. I had to go to a different Sam's Club (in Orange County - Orlando) to pick up an online order. 99.9% of the people had masks on in line and the store. Seemed like all the businesses were open with the exception of restaurants.

I'm up around 436 and Wekiva area

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
They are finding the virus on healthcare workers shoes. Stays on fabric 3 days.
And this is exactly why you should not put your shopping basket on the floor of the store. You don't know where customer's Covid-19 and dogshit shoes have been. I guess I might be the only one neurotic enough to have the thought of "what if a Covid-19 person goes for a walk, spits on the ground, then my dog walks through it".

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, it's my understanding that for many if you wait too long the HCQ will not be able to save you. Better to take it sooner than later after the Covid-19 diagnosis...maybe immediately.
Agreed. There are some big studies looking at this and definitive info will be available soon. Docs I know say if not on a cardiac risk group it won't hurt to add HCQ to treatment regimen and might help.

What is pretty clear so far is that no treatment appears to be a magic bullet.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The food is rotting in the fields or being plowed under because the farmers, especially small farmers, can't get help to actually harvest the crops. The "stay at home" orders effect them as well. I have a friend who has a small farm in VA, 500 acres with meat cattle. She can't even sell the cattle because the slaughter houses are closed. She can't get feed for them and her own pastures have been wrecked with all the rain. There's no help from the Feds on this, either. It seems to have fallen between the cracks. I think it'll pop back up when the food supply runs out, which won't take long.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
The food is rotting in the fields or being plowed under because the farmers, especially small farmers, can't get help to actually harvest the crops. The "stay at home" orders effect them as well. I have a friend who has a small farm in VA, 500 acres with meat cattle. She can't even sell the cattle because the slaughter houses are closed. She can't get feed for them and her own pastures have been wrecked with all the rain. There's no help from the Feds on this, either. It seems to have fallen between the cracks. I think it'll pop back up when the food supply runs out, which won't take long.
In which states is agriculture not considered essential? Seems insane to me. I heard of pork plants shutting down due to sick workers in SD I believe, not due to stay at home orders.

I'm one of those proponents of stay at home, but I draw the line at letting food rot in the field of there is any way to prevent it.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait, you go to the store to pickup an online order? Why is Sam's Club encouraging this? They should ship directly to you. :confused: Where is the social distancing? :idk:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What about all of those latex gloves laying all over the parking lots? Afraid to step on a used condom. Its too hard to distinguish the two especially when the sun sets. The gloves and condoms all look the same. I think the youth are using their free time wisely, spending their time qualitatively engaging in pranks. Its disgusting.

See if you can distinguish this,

1586976838193.png versus 1586976869698.png

And this is exactly why you should not put your shopping basket on the floor of the store. You don't know where customer's Covid-19 and dogshit shoes have been. I guess I might be the only one neurotic enough to have the thought of "what if a Covid-19 person goes for a walk, spits on the ground, then my dog walks through it".

megazone23

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wait, you go to the store to pickup an online order? Why is Sam's Club encouraging this? They should ship directly to you. :confused: Where is the social distancing? :idk:
Many things at Sam's Club website has free shipping only for PLUS membership or store pick up. Order pick up is simple, and not requires you to go around the stores, except the waiting in line. And I think it's fine if you have to make a trip to replenish grocery items

I also tried to order things from Walmart, most grocery items (not those getting stocked up) even perfectly shippable are in-store purchase only (can't even order to pick up). I tried to get a rat glue trap as hearing some scratching sound inside the wall:banghead:, but that can't be shipped.
No wonder many people now have to turn to Amazon (shipping is the only choice), I have been local stores supporter, as even big retailers cannot keep up with the change of the situation.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Because they charge you to ship it...which isn't necessarily a problem (or you could be a Plus member) but the delivery date is weeks after when I need it. And, let me tell you how shitty their online order pickup service works. They give you a time slot, you wait for a text saying it is ready for pickup, you drive there, you wait in line to get into the store because there isn't a curbside service, then you get in the store, then they don't have your shit ready to pickup, then you wait in their toxic Covid-19 environment while someone goes to look for the item you already paid for.

I expected those arseholes would have figured out to have a curbside area where you call or text a number and they bring the shit out to you. Stoopid me...I'm just as Floridumb as the rest of them.

Last edited: