Pandemic threat? Anyone else concerned?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Hollywood shouldn't have given the idea to countries like China to develop a bioweapon. ;)

The lab in Wuhan was supposed to be a BSL Level 4 lab, I don't think it even met BSL Level 2 specifications

the way this pandemic has mirrored some movies is scary.

i suspect in future infection type movies the IRL events of the covid pandemic will likely be seen.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
As a random data point, I just went to a memorial service in a church. About 70 people. No distancing and my wife and I were the only ones with masks. We didn't stay for the food afterward. From what I saw at the service I'd expect that this was all maskless people sitting close together.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
You can do a lie-detection simply by looking at their eyes. Their eyes look like they have the sigh-of-relief; a relief after taking a large dump in the toilet #Phew

There's a certain degree of extremity on both parties; this time around the (D) has gone to the extremes. There is no balance in the force :(

Reaction score

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Having Covid at some stage could lead to other problems later on like possibly Parkinson's disease.

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I dislike caramel popcorn but it will do

Maybe Sen Paul is onto something. I did not catch Fauci's answer on why NYC had a worse death rate than some 3rd world countries then suddenly got better. Just heard misdirection.

Here's a couple graphs pulled from the NYC.gov site.

20200923_195902.jpg
20200923_195937.jpg

Cases and deaths per day fell dramatically from their peak and stayed low, even while much of NYC reopened in early June. Coincidence?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Dr. Fauci OWNED Senator Paul. It was brilliant. Paul started up with some cockamamie theory of herd immunity despite there being lots of evidence to the contrary, and Fauci shut him down hard. Good.

There's no herd immunity in NYC or anywhere else as far as we can tell, with a few small exceptions in very tightly knit small communities. One very poor city in Brazil got slammed and may (just may, not confirmed) have had enough transmission to generate immunity.

There's pretty good data for NYC based on analysis of positivity rates (for active infections over time) plus growing serological testing (which detects anti-COVID-19 antibodies, showing past infection) that puts NYC around 22%... no where near what you need for herd immunity.

What's happened is this:

There was a LOT of infection injected into NYC early on: late February then in March due to NYC having a very high number of international travelers and being a port of call. And when the border shut down, huge numbers of people returned to the city.
Early on there wasn't much distancing / masking and the virus spread like wildfire through a city that was crammed full of people in close proximity on a routine basis.
They felt the pain, people got scared, they started distancing, and having lived through it, they took the measures to heart.
After the infection burned through those who were infected through March and early April, it slowed drastically and new cases fell rapidly; the death rate fell proportionately.

This same pattern has happened all over the place. It's not a surprise. If New Yorkers let down their guard, they will spike back up. But the strict precautions being taken in the city are holding it at bay.