Planning to upgrade my home Zmodo 14 camera system... need a little guidance

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Have a single story house that I wired up with a Zmodo PoE system 4 years ago. Zmodo strikes me as a crappy little brand, but I was on a budget and liked that it was PoE and honestly it's served me pretty well.

The cameras are starting to fail one by one, and the image quality is basically terrible, not to mention the horrible app and NVR interface... time to upgrade.

I don't have a specific budget in mind, but want to keep it very reasonable for a basic home surveillance system.

My current plan... how does this look? Any suggestions?

- replace the existing wiring with Cat5e - the zmodo system uses a microUSB attachment on the camera end, so I'll use the existing wires to pull through regular Cat5e (I have a whole bunch of it already) and punch it down on each end. I expect this part will be pretty easy since the existing wiring is in place and I can just tie it off and pull

- repurpose an existing Home Theater PC that I haven't used in a while to run the cameras; the motherboard is shot, so I'll upgrade that, and I have a WD Purple 2TB hard drive in the Zmodo that I'll wipe and use in the tower. Might just use this as my new desktop PC in general. Has a dedicated graphics card already too. Blue Iris.

- Will need to get some PoE switches (I assume the Zmodo ones won't work on other cameras - does that sound right?)

- Cameras - a little lost here... I read the WIki about Dahua cameras, and they look nice, but the price point seems kinda high for me... I just need generally all around good cameras that have decent low light capabilities, but nothing fancy. Might do one or two PTZ cameras, the rest can be fixed. I certainly don't want to drop $120+ each on 14 cameras... Is there something else I should consider? Honestly the Zmodo cameras I have are just barely not good enough.

Any other tips?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Lower than the $120 range won't produce good night video for a whole host of reasons. Inexpensive cameras have small sensors and play games with exposure, compensation, gain, frame rate, iframe rate and bit rate to provide a nice still image at night. Problem comes at night. You will have a nice picture as long as there is no movement. Movement will be a blur.

The 2231 series from Dahua is a good choice if you don't want/need audio. The 3241 series is basically the came camera but also has audio and some basic AI, people and vehicle recognition. The 2231 is in the $120 range and the 3241 is in the $135 range.

2231 Reviews

3241T-ZAS Review

There are less expensive models but I have no experience with them. Bothe the 2231 and 3241 are excellent performers and I have several of both.

Less expensive models -

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Appreciate all the info. A couple followup questions...

• Any idea if my Zmodo cams could be used with Blue Iris? I'm assuming they probably only work with proprietary Zmodo software. This would be huge because I could do this in stages - install / tweak Blue Iris, add one or two new cameras, but keep using the functioning zmodo cameras and replace them all over time
  • These cameras have Cat5 and dedicated power connections... I'd intend to use this as PoE, so I assume the power connection isn't necessary, is that right? Confused why it would have both. Does PTZ work with PoE?

Lower than the $120 range won't produce good night video for a whole host of reasons. Inexpensive cameras have small sensors and play games with exposure, compensation, gain, frame rate, iframe rate and bit rate to provide a nice still image at night. Problem comes at night. You will have a nice picture as long as there is no movement. Movement will be a blur.

The 2231 series from Dahua is a good choice if you don't want/need audio. The 3241 series is basically the came camera but also has audio and some basic AI, people and vehicle recognition. The 2231 is in the $120 range and the 3241 is in the $135 range.

2231 Reviews

3241T-ZAS Review

There are less expensive models but I have no experience with them. Bothe the 2231 and 3241 are excellent performers and I have several of both.

Less expensive models -

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
  • Any idea if my Zmodo cams could be used with Blue Iris? I'm assuming they probably only work with proprietary Zmodo software. This would be huge because I could do this in stages - install / tweak Blue Iris, add one or two new cameras, but keep using the functioning zmodo cameras and replace them all over time--------If those Zmodo support onvif, normally can be ok with BI.

• These cameras have Cat5 and dedicated power connections... I'd intend to use this as PoE, so I assume the power connection isn't necessary, is that right? Confused why it would have both. -----Yes, POE cameras is the best to use POE switch to power.
  • Does PTZ work with PoE? The PTZ we sold all support POE or POE+ or hi-POE. Based on which cam you select.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Not to step on anybodys toes, but you can mix in a few less expensive camera's if they are inside in a garage or a lighted porch or inside the house. The Amcrest 1179ew was one such camera I used in the laundry rooms at the Condo.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not to step on anybodys toes, but you can mix in a few less expensive camera's if they are inside in a garage or a lighted porch or inside the house. The Amcrest 1179ew was one such camera I used in the laundry rooms at the Condo.
That's super helpful thanks - I've got a number of areas where that would do just fine!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Flintstone has a situation that I don't. He has interior areas to cover while my major area of interest, and coverage, is outside. I'm glad he chimed in here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have a single story house that I wired up with a Zmodo PoE system 4 years ago. Zmodo strikes me as a crappy little brand, but I was on a budget and liked that it was PoE and honestly it's served me pretty well.

The cameras are starting to fail one by one, and the image quality is basically terrible, not to mention the horrible app and NVR interface... time to upgrade.

I don't have a specific budget in mind, but want to keep it very reasonable for a basic home surveillance system.

My current plan... how does this look? Any suggestions?

- replace the existing wiring with Cat5e - the zmodo system uses a microUSB attachment on the camera end, so I'll use the existing wires to pull through regular Cat5e (I have a whole bunch of it already) and punch it down on each end. I expect this part will be pretty easy since the existing wiring is in place and I can just tie it off and pull

- repurpose an existing Home Theater PC that I haven't used in a while to run the cameras; the motherboard is shot, so I'll upgrade that, and I have a WD Purple 2TB hard drive in the Zmodo that I'll wipe and use in the tower. Might just use this as my new desktop PC in general. Has a dedicated graphics card already too. Blue Iris.

- Will need to get some PoE switches (I assume the Zmodo ones won't work on other cameras - does that sound right?)

- Cameras - a little lost here... I read the WIki about Dahua cameras, and they look nice, but the price point seems kinda high for me... I just need generally all around good cameras that have decent low light capabilities, but nothing fancy. Might do one or two PTZ cameras, the rest can be fixed. I certainly don't want to drop $120+ each on 14 cameras... Is there something else I should consider? Honestly the Zmodo cameras I have are just barely not good enough.

Any other tips?
Welcome @dockdoc

"Have a single story house that I wired up with a Zmodo PoE system 4 years ago. Zmodo strikes me as a crappy little brand, but I was on a budget and liked that it was PoE and honestly it's served me pretty well."

I am nearly 100% certain it is NOT a PoE system. What is the model number?

A few questions w/regards to the cabling:
Did you use the "cat5e" cable that came with the kit? or
did you install quality cat5e cable? or
was the cat5e cable installed by someone else?
Do you know the quality of the cable installed?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @dockdoc

"Have a single story house that I wired up with a Zmodo PoE system 4 years ago. Zmodo strikes me as a crappy little brand, but I was on a budget and liked that it was PoE and honestly it's served me pretty well."

Hopefully @dockdoc will return before he goes too far down this project, as I think the above question is a critical one anyone with a zmodo kit needs to address ..

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Welcome @dockdoc

Sorry I had missed this... It's a PoE system in that it uses their proprietary switch and cabling, and I did not have to run dedicated power to the cameras. They use a MicroUSB connector on one and, and it terminates in a Cat5 connector that plugs into their repeater / PoE switch. I don't have the model # handy. Hope that helps.

To be clear - I'm not trying to use any of the Zmodo stuff in the future. I'll replace all the existing cables and hardware.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I think i saw where that Zmodo POE switch puts out 19V vs. the 48V of a standard POE switch. So You can pull that out of service as well.

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think i saw where that Zmodo POE switch puts out 19V vs. the 48V of a standard POE switch. So You can pull that out of service as well.
Correct. I'm actually looking at the various options now, I think I'm going to start with this Amcrest camera and a PoE+ switch, set it up with Blue Iris just for my front door camera while leaving the zmodo operational for everything else, and see how that goes...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of light at the front door, that cam will not do well at all after dark.
It has too small of sensor for a 5mp.
The goal is to know who did it, not just what happened.
Remember, you will only be able to ID someone out to 10ft or closer with a 2.8mm lens....in the daytime. All bets are off with that small sensor after dark.

dockdoc

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Unless you have a lot of light at the front door, that cam will not do well at all after dark.
It has too small of sensor for a 5mp.
The goal is to know who did it, not just what happened.
Remember, you will only be able to ID someone out to 10ft or closer with a 2.8mm lens....in the daytime. All bets are off with that small sensor after dark.
OK - would you recommend something comparable in price? If there is nothing comparable in price, I'll give this a go and see how I like it. I'm not willing to make a big investment here until I can try out the blue iris, PC setup, etc.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To put it simply, do not, to repeat, DO NOT, chase megapixels. Chase sensor size especially when good night vision is wanted/needed/required. I appreciate your budget constraints, most of us have similar problems, but maybe you need to do things a little at a time to get the results you want without emptying your wallet/bank account in one fell swoop. You're better off, in the long run, using decent quality cameras as you rebuild slowly rather than replacing them all with poor performing cameras in the name of budget.

If you buy a camera at 5MP with a 1/2.8" sensor for $100 and it doesn't work well at night, which it won't, you've effectively wasted $100 unless you have a well lit area to place that camera in. Sub $100 cameras really won't perform well at night. It's unfortunate, but it is the case.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @dockdoc

FYI -

@TDC has had to change his plans due to a change of work location ( thus moving ), he did pick up what looks like a great kit .. perhaps worth taking a closer look if you are interested - or if you just want to compare and contrast with the options you are looking at.

Reaction score
OK - would you recommend something comparable in price? If there is nothing comparable in price, I'll give this a go and see how I like it. I'm not willing to make a big investment here until I can try out the blue iris, PC setup, etc.
I have 2 Amcrest 5mp that ran about $50 each. One had the poe circuit fried in a lightning storm somehow. It came back to life with a separate power supply and barrel connector-- it is indoors now in my basement to see if my grandkids are acting like monkees... LOL. The OTHER Amcrest is still in service outside...

1645477624861.png

This Amcrest cam is absolutely worthless for the I in DORI-- IDENTIFYING anyone, especially at night, as it is about 18 feet above the ground. It is nothing but an overview camera so I can watch deer. :cool: If I rotated it around to show my deck and sliding door, it might be OK for that coverage.

I have a different cam (a 2mp dahua variable) for that purpose, which also shows the back door of my garage. Here is a pic:
1645478248934.png

This second cam is also not ideal for IDENTIFICATION at it's height. If someone came up the steps of the deck, and they kept their head down, I would almost certainly NOT get a good image. That is me standing in the yard -- but the cam was adjusted to as WIDE as possible rather than zoomed in (again--- more of a wildlife cam for me in winter especially). I will zoom it in pretty tight again in the spring, and I should get recognizable images out to where I am standing, and Identifiable images out about half that distance. The light there is from an IR floodlight (just sitting in my garage window) that needs to get mounted & adjusted.... the yard is pitch black when you look.

Nothing wrong with experimenting with a cheap camera-- just have appropriate expectations for what it will do for you. :cool: You may find a cheap one may serve a useful purpose indoors later on.

I got a 5442 ZE from Andy that I have temporarily mounted to overview where my camper is normally parked. When I get my camper back from the shop, I will have to adjust this cam and see where I want it zoomed. Technically, I should have another cam at the other end of the garage pointing back at this one--- THAT might be a place I would put another cheap Amcrest. It would also give me another good view of the migration route for the neighborhood deer. :)
1645479222992.png