POE lighting and NVR

Reaction score
Morning all,

First post, so bear with me.

I'm currently using a HIKVISION NVR with 6 cameras all set up, working perfectly with DDNS and port forwarding.

I'm really happy with the setup - but I'm now concerned as there really isn't enough ambient light at the front of my property to provide a really clear image.

I've considered several options as below:

1 - Wire in some new floods to the eaves of my roof, near to the cameras themselves.
2 - Wire in some IR illuminators to the eaves of my room, near to the cameras themselves.

Either of the above options are not really idea as there is currently no power to the loft area of my house - so this would realistically end up quite an expensive undertaking.

I've been considering using the NVR's POE ports to power some lighting, installed as above. I'm just wondering if it is a) possible and b) feasible.

Does anybody have any experience. A quick google search turns up minimal (read nothing) results - so I think I'm barking up the wrong tree - but any advice would be gratefully received.

I suppose, I could run a cat5e cable and use a poe switch in the loft space connected to the lighting itself as below ROUTER >> POE SWITCH >> POE LIGHT x2.

I've also considered something like : Moodifier™ PoE LED driver | Moodifier

Cheers,

Tom

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
they have PoE to 12v active splitters tha'll power IR Illuminators from a PoE port.. but they are limited on wattage, im running 10W right now and toasted a few cheap splitters.. now everything seems good with better quality ones.

IR Cannon w/Adjustable Focus

Reaction score
That looks pretty perfect to be honest!! My two main cams at the front are 6mm - so we'll see eh? Just need to try and find a UK stockist!

Thankyou!