Point to Point Wireless Bridge Recomendations

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So no power? You're planning to go solar?
No...the camera will be fed by a POE switch on the side of the road that has the receiving transmitter, which will also be fed by the same POE switch....

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No...the camera will be fed by a POE switch on the side of the road that has the receiving transmitter, which will also be fed by the same POE switch....
and where will the electrons that power it come from?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
and where will the electrons that power it come from?
There is a building with power between where the pole will be for the receiving transmitter and where the camera will be. Both camera and receiver will connect via RJ45 to the POE switch and get power. The main issue I'm having is getting from the NVR to the far out camera, because I have to cross a road.

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using Mikrotik radios for point to point links for years. I have one on our farm that is around 2km away and has no LOS. Its LOS passes through about 10 metres of a hilltop. I was very surprised when I first set it up that it worked at all. The remote site is a solar powered system with a Dahua DH-SD29204UE-GN and also an OpenWRT wifi AP, just in case the cattle, kangaroos, feral pigs, crows, parrots, etc need wifi access. Do get some great captures from there. Line of sight is about where the red dot in the red circle is. When I first started to use Mikrotik around 12 years ago, they were much cheaper than anything else. Ubiquity work just as well, I believe.
View attachment 159176
I second this. I have used Mikrotik for 20+ years in -45 cold climate on 140' towers and they have never let me down. I still have some units that are 15+ years old and they still work. At this point I wouldn't consider anything else because you can get a full Mikrotik 5GHZ AC link for $100.00

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Except for the occasional Amazon / UPS truck stopping right between the two antennas I should have no issues with LOS
That's great!
I likely got your situation crossed with someone else's, as there has been a LOT of posts regarding such links in the past week.:cool:

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you provide a "link" to the "link" ? :cool:
Mikrotik SXTsq 5 AC. Just a quick search, and its probably gone up in price a bit, but it is listed at $65 per radio on their site. There are many resellers available in all countries so finding them is fairly easy.

You need two per PTP link. One is setup as an AP bridge and the other is a bridge. If you have line of sight as in a clear fresnel zone you should be able to get ~300Mbits/sec with a link like this. It comes with a POE injector as it does not conform to the 802.3af standard. If you need more throughput there are other options on the site. You should be able to get a few miles out of this link if needed, but it is fairly small and compact so one with a larger antenna would be required if you want to go 10-20 miles.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mikrotik SXTsq 5 AC. Just a quick search, and its probably gone up in price a bit, but it is listed at $65 per radio on their site. There are many resellers available in all countries so finding them is fairly easy.

You need two per PTP link. One is setup as an AP bridge and the other is a bridge. If you have line of sight as in a clear fresnel zone you should be able to get ~300Mbits/sec with a link like this. It comes with a POE injector as it does not conform to the 802.3af standard. If you need more throughput there are other options on the site. You should be able to get a few miles out of this link if needed, but it is fairly small and compact so one with a larger antenna would be required if you want to go 10-20 miles.
Thanks!
Nice alternative to Ubiquiti for now, as they are scarce and pricey....I hope that's temporary. I may just try a pair on my next link that I need for someone (waiting for phone to ring).

Not too thrilled about the form factor of the POE injector and wall wart for power, though (image at bottom)...reminds me of some earlier Engenius and TP-LINK gear. But it's likely pins 4/5 for positive and 7/8 for negative since it's passive, I've got a dozen Ubiquiti 18 and 24VDC POE injectors laying around.

It seems they'll squeeze another $3 out of you for a pole mount, several competitors make that provision in the design of the radio. It's not a deal breaker certainly so I'll definitely try a pair next go-round. :cool:

mikrotik-POE-injector.jpg

danletkeman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks!
Nice alternative to Ubiquiti for now, as they are scarce and pricey....I hope that's temporary. I may just try a pair on my next link that I need for someone (waiting for phone to ring).

Not too thrilled about the form factor of the POE injector and wall wart for power, though (image at bottom)...reminds me of some earlier Engenius and TP-LINK gear. But it's likely pins 4/5 for positive and 7/8 for negative since it's passive, I've got a dozen Ubiquiti 18 and 24VDC POE injectors laying around.

It seems they'll squeeze another $3 out of you for a pole mount, several competitors make that provision in the design of the radio. It's not a deal breaker certainly so I'll definitely try a pair next go-round. :cool:

View attachment 159189
Yes, I don't like the injectors, but they work. I have in the past used a coupler on the RJ45 end and extended it with a patch cable so that it can all be hidden in a rack or cabinet somewhere behind everything else and the patch cable is nicely routed in the cable management brackets. There are some models that support POE and POE+ as power sources, but for some reason the higher power radios are still passive. You don't need the pole mount. There are slots in the plastic housing that accept a pipe clamp if the $3 is over your budget. I never bought any, I just used the pipe clamps that came with it or whatever I had lying around and old satellite mounts. The bigger radios and antennas come with proper mounting gear. The goal of Mikrotik's products is to make them affordable, so sometimes options are slim.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is a building with power between where the pole will be for the receiving transmitter and where the camera will be. Both camera and receiver will connect via RJ45 to the POE switch and get power. The main issue I'm having is getting from the NVR to the far out camera, because I have to cross a road.
Does this building have it's own electric meter or is the power fed from the main structure on the other side of the road?

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's great!
I likely got your situation crossed with someone else's, as there has been a LOT of posts regarding such links in the past week.:cool:
No worries. Just wanted to confirm that I'm looking for standard POE 802.11F or whatever the standard is so that I don't need a power injector at the point of transmission, I can run it from a POE NVR.

Sounds like Mikrotik SXTsq 5 AC wouldn't work for me, but would the ones you suggested?

Ckb3

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd perform a site survey and see what the noise floor is, if not a lot of ambient 2.4 GHz I'd try that using a higher power/higher sensitivity radio like the Nanostation M2 which is rated 23 dB minimum. BTW, just saw them in stock at Ubiquiti for $89 which will NOT last long if it is, in fact, in stock and at that price.
@TonyR - This might be a dumb question... You would need two of these devices to setup a Point to Point within line of sight correct?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR - This might be a dumb question... You would need two of these devices to setup a Point to Point within line of sight correct?
yes.

EDIT 4/5/23 @ 1353 CT: to get the best through-put, speed, reliability and the rest of the desirable attributes, you use a pair of the units of the same make and model, regardless of who makes them, as they generally employ some proprietary protocal as they communicate which works so much better than run-of-the-mill W-Fi. All of them have their names for such techniques which are software-based for the most part, some may be better than others, I don't know....I've been pleased with Ubiquiti gear so haven't felt the need to look elsewhere.

Last edited:

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't see why not....just remember they use a 24VDC pasive POE injector (included).
Trying to keep it as simple as possible. If I can use standard POE protocol and only need one cable connected from the transmitter and receiver to a POE type switch, then that simplifies things greatly...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I spent about 15 minutes looking for Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, Engenius and TP-LINK outdoor, PtP AP/bridges that did NOT use either 24VDC passive or "proprietary" 54 volt power injectors and came up empty handed. Engenius specs may be the closest but they are ambiguous, stating "proprietary" and "54 volt" in one part of specs but mentioning compatibality with POE cameras and switches in another.....so it's unclear. Sorry I cannot be of more help in that regard.

Could be why the 802.3af POE-to-24VDC adapter came about. :idk:

jwadsley

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spent about 15 minutes looking for Ubiquiti, Mikrotik, Engenius and TP-LINK outdoor, PtP AP/bridges that did NOT use either 24VDC passive or "proprietary" 54 volt power injectors and came up empty handed. Engenius specs may be the closest but they are ambiguous, stating "proprietary" and "54 volt" in one part of specs but mentioning compatibality with POE cameras and switches in another.....so it's unclear. Sorry I cannot be of more help in that regard.

Could be why the 802.3af POE-to-24VDC adapter came about. :idk:
No worries at all, you have been very helpful.

Was hoping to get a standard 808.3af so I could just plug in a POE cable and be good to go, but doesn't look like that is the case :(