Possible to setup new NVR via PC over network connection?

Option

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new to camera systems so my apologies if this is a ridiculous question. I was planning to buy one of those prepackaged NVR/IP camera systems and install the NVR in a hidden location in my home that is easy to route wire to but difficult to find/access if anyone is looking for it. I initially thought that I could run the cameras to the NVR and connect the NVR to my network allowing me to access and set it up via my PC in another room. However, I'm getting the impression that NVRs need to be directly connected to a display for initial setup and access to settings. Can anyone tell me if that is that correct? If so, can you tell me how people install NVRs in hidden locations away from TVs and PC monitors? Thank you!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new to camera systems so my apologies if this is a ridiculous question. I was planning to buy one of those prepackaged NVR/IP camera systems and install the NVR in a hidden location in my home that is easy to route wire to but difficult to find/access if anyone is looking for it. I initially thought that I could run the cameras to the NVR and connect the NVR to my network allowing me to access and set it up via my PC in another room. However, I'm getting the impression that NVRs need to be directly connected to a display for initial setup and access to settings. Can anyone tell me if that is that correct? If so, can you tell me how people install NVRs in hidden locations away from TVs and PC monitors? Thank you!
Welcome Option,

The NVR can run headless - during setup I like to use a VGA monitor to configure it.

If you need to trouble shoot it, place it in such a way that you can attach a monitor and mouse to it.

Remember venting is good to help keep the temp from building up.

Option

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! Can you clarify what you mean by "run headless"? Also, the location I was considering is on top of some cabinets hidden from view behind the molding so it would not be in an enclosed space (no venting issues). However, it would be pretty high up (ladder would be needed to access) and without a display nearby unfortunately. Do you know of any way to make such a location work?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply! Can you clarify what you mean by "run headless"? Also, the location I was considering is on top of some cabinets hidden from view behind the molding so it would not be in an enclosed space (no venting issues). However, it would be pretty high up (ladder would be needed to access) and without a display nearby unfortunately. Do you know of any way to make such a location work?
Configure it before placing it in hidden location. Run Headless would mean no mouse or monitor hooked up.
Set everything up on a work bench, and run it all for a day or so to make sure everything is good before final install.

Option

n3wb
Reaction score
Configure it before placing it in hidden location. Run Headless would mean no mouse or monitor hooked up.
Set everything up on a work bench, and run it all for a day or so to make sure everything is good before final install.
Thank you for the additional clarification. I like that idea but I'm nervous about having no way to access the NVR settings once it's in it's final position. Do you really not need to access the settings after the initial setup or do most people simply setup their NVRs with a permanent connection to a display? If it's the latter, maybe I should find a way to run an HDMI cable and a USB cable through the attic to my office so that I can plug them into an alternate input on my monitor and have a secondary mouse?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for the additional clarification. I like that idea but I'm nervous about having no way to access the NVR settings once it's in it's final position.
As @looney2ns stated, you only need to monitor and mouse to set it up initially.
Give the NVR a static IP outside of your router's DHCP pool.
Insure you can access the NVR over you network from your PC using IE11 via an Ethernet cable.
Once set up and run a few days, you disconnect everything, relocate it, hook up everything EXCEPT monitor and mouse.
If you need to change some things, access the NVR over your LAN and make those changes!

Option

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you all! I will read the Cliff Notes and Wiki before asking any more questions. I'm very happy to hear that changes can be made over the LAN once the initial setup is complete. Since that's the case, I'll probably setup the NVR in its final location and simply plug in a monitor and mouse placed at the base of the cabinet for the first few days.

Option

n3wb
Reaction score
I've read the Cliff Notes, Wiki and some of the various forum posts here so I feel like I have a little bit better understanding now. I'm thinking I should go with a 16 channel NVR (would only need 6-8 cameras for now) but was originally hoping to go with one of the prepackaged kits sold at a local retailer. However, now I'm wondering if that would be a mistake. I originally liked the idea of buying locally so that I could easily return the kit if it didn't work well but it seems that a "one size fits all" solution might not be worth the time/money. I'm also not sure about the brand names I am finding available (Swann, Lechange, Samsung, Revo). Can anyone share any thoughts or experiences on whether pre-packaged systems available in stores are a waste of time/money or are there good ones out there? If so, are there certain brands to look for or avoid at all costs? I thought this system from Samsung seemed like it might be a good option but for all I know, they make terrible NVR/camera systems.

Samsung Wisenet 16-Channel 8-Camera 4MP Security System with 3TB HDD NVR - BJs WholeSale Club

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help you've all already given!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've read the Cliff Notes, Wiki and some of the various forum posts here so I feel like I have a little bit better understanding now. I'm thinking I should go with a 16 channel NVR (would only need 6-8 cameras for now) but was originally hoping to go with one of the prepackaged kits sold at a local retailer. However, now I'm wondering if that would be a mistake. I originally liked the idea of buying locally so that I could easily return the kit if it didn't work well but it seems that a "one size fits all" solution might not be worth the time/money. I'm also not sure about the brand names I am finding available (Swann, Lechange, Samsung, Revo). Can anyone share any thoughts or experiences on whether pre-packaged systems available in stores are a waste of time/money or are there good ones out there? If so, are there certain brands to look for or avoid at all costs? I thought this system from Samsung seemed like it might be a good option but for all I know, they make terrible NVR/camera systems.

Samsung Wisenet 16-Channel 8-Camera 4MP Security System with 3TB HDD NVR - BJs WholeSale Club

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for the help you've all already given!
HI Option,

Swann - NVR kits appear to be Hikvision OEM products
LeChange - is a Dahua OEM brand, fairly new to the USA

I don't like the listings from BJ's - as they do not provide enough details for me to really have a better idea of what is included.

I'll let others chime in about Samsung and Revo

During the BF-cyberweek period there should be a number of deals from US vendors

A lot of the brands may not have the more advanced features that the higher end models of Hikvision or Dahua may have. ( example the IVS features as Dahua calls theirs ) So you'll want to look closer for those specs. ( again why I don't like BJs - hard to find the specs from their pages )

Typically also the kits include Bullet style cameras - which are less liked by many compared to the Turret style cameras. ( spiders being the most significant mentioned issue due to the IR leds attracting flying bugs at night - if you do not use the IR leds in the camera, for example you keep it in color mode all the time - this issue can be mitigated )

The bullets with IR led rings around the lens will be worse compared to the bullets with 1-2 larger IR leds.

If you go with the LeChange NVR kits you can add the well recommended Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras to cover your most critical low light areas. ( likewise, the Swann NVR should work well with Hikvision OEM cameras - though I know more about the Dahua products )