***PSA for those with a New DAHUA NVR with Built-in PoE switch

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Very odd . Typically a factory reset will do it.
The red indicator usually means the NVR doesn’t recognize the camera password but a reset will set the camera pass to same as the NVR when first connected. I’ve done it many many times with success.

NorthBendDave

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I pulled the NVR to my workbench. I did a factory reset on it. I took all the cams to my bench, and connected 12v and a net cable (don't know if the net cable was needed) and performed a reset on each. Connected all to the NVR and powered on. I have success! All cams show up on the NVR

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When working with clips on Dahua smart pss, the scissors want to default to an hour. U can go and grab the end handle and drag it over to a minute after the start then export. Problem is the video clip doesn't match the clip I exported? What gives? It's almost as if there is a database attached to the exported player. Sometimes I will import a different clip all together and it will be the same video. What is the best way to get video off of this NVR please?

Attachments

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure I understand.
Yes drag the endpoint to desired time then with the red start line and end line set, export by clicking the scissors again which brings up the export dialog box to set download directory and file type. I get exactly that clip to the second.

In your example that would be a monster 1 hour clip

Are you exporting as mp4?

just some dude

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, I am exporting original format with the player (seemed like the best quality at a glance)??. One weird issue was with the scissors, when I first started clipping, I would click the clip button where the video was playing, the cut would start there. Then simply click again while the video was playing and the clip would happen perfectly (the second clip followed the timeline). Now, I place the first cut and the second cut defaults to 1 hour further into the timeline, I then have to go an hour into it, drag it back, just to get 1 minute of video. I also ran into issues with the clips themselves, I would take an entirely new clip, save it to its location, then when I go to play it, it is a duplicate of a previous clip.

Ultimately, I am not trying to fix Dahua bugs, I'm seeking the absolute best practice to harvest clips from this NVR. I am trying to get my Mother in Law proficient at doing the task herself. Should I harvest clips directly from the NVR or should smart pss be able to perform the task? Should I be exporting a different format? If exporting using original format, can the player handle 5-7 different clips in the same folder? Export the player each time or only once? Seems like it should just work, but there is definitely a bug in the process.

Trying to make sense of this. Thanks!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Don’t export the player. Choose mp4 for export format, it should play natively on your pc.

Yes you must drag the end point to where you want it.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So, I didn't see this thread until it was too late. I basically did everything that you listed in the "self inflicted" list of things not to do. I thought I was doing the right things, and trying to get it figured out, but at this point it's kinda a mess. Most things are working, but I'm thinking a lot of my issues are related to setup issues here. What is the best course of action to start over and follow your instructions? If you don't want to clutter this thread, I have a specific thread here: Long Time Listener, First Time Caller - Dahua/Empire 4k Color Cams

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, I didn't see this thread until it was too late. I basically did everything that you listed in the "self inflicted" list of things not to do. I thought I was doing the right things, and trying to get it figured out, but at this point it's kinda a mess. Most things are working, but I'm thinking a lot of my issues are related to setup issues here. What is the best course of action to start over and follow your instructions? If you don't want to clutter this thread, I have a specific thread here: Long Time Listener, First Time Caller - Dahua/Empire 4k Color Cams
Cleanest way would be to factory reset everything and then follow the guide.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Cleanest way would be to factory reset everything and then follow the guide.
No worries, I can do that. Is there a preferred order to do the factory reset? Cameras first, then NVR? And I don't honestly know how to do the factory resets. How do I reset all these things?

Edit: Looks like I found the NVR reset under "maintain->manager->default->Factory Default.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera has a reset under the cover where the SD card goes. With it plugged in with power, push it in and hold it in for 15-20 seconds. Or you can do it from within the camera GUI.

Depending on which screen you get with that NVR, here is how to reset it:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The factory default is the same as a factory reset. Do that one and you should be good to go.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One last question, when I do a factory reset of the NVR, will I need to format the HDDs manually? Or does that just happen as part of the factory resest? Or just not necessary at all?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since they are formatted already (I am assuming since you used them) you should be good to go; but I would reformat them just to make sure the NVR doesn't try to do anything with the old recordings.

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello all, I just got a new nvr and was planing to upgrade and replace my old one. The old model is a NVR4208-8P-4KS2 while the new model is a NVR5208-8P-4KS2E. The old model has 2 HDD already installed and was planning to take 1 out and put it in the newer model for setting up while keeping the old nvr running so I can copy down settings or if things go wrong setting up the new nvr. Is it ok to just remove one of the drives from the old nvr? Do Dahua nvrs store its main or important settings on either drives? Was wondering if there is any kind of prep setup for removing a used drive.

Also how would the new nvr handled my cameras that already have settings from my old nvr? Will my cameras take the new password from my new nvr?