PTZ camera identification

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the forum, and don't want to alienate myself right off the bat, but I'm probably about to anyway...

We are preparing to take a neighbor to court for violating community by-laws (surveilling neighboring property), filing a false CPS case, and criminal harrassment (sending "anonymous" threatening/slanderous letters). I'm compiling a list of the various security cameras and their specific capabilities for our case, and I can't identify these two cameras. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again, I respect everyone's right to secure their own property, and understand state laws are permissive when it comes to "public view", etc. Our by-laws require written permission for security cameras to be pointed onto neighbors' property, and they are in obvious violation of this rule. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.. I respect everyone's right to secure their own property, and understand state laws are permissive when it comes to "public view", etc. Our by-laws require written permission for security cameras to be pointed onto neighbors' property, and they are in obvious violation of this rule. Thanks for the help!
HI Santiago,

While I understand your concerns, I will state that I really dislike what many HOA are doing to restrict others liberties of protecting their families and properties by requiring " written permission for security cameras" in general, noting that you further state: "to be pointed onto neighbors' property" - perhaps your HOA by laws are more reasonable than some we have seen.

Perhaps you would like to share your by-laws here on security cameras so that folks can determine if your HOA is respectful of property owners rights and if it would be worth their time to assist you.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can't identify these two cameras.
These are PTZs - that can point pretty well anywhere with their 270Deg pan when they auto-track.
Your case will fail on that aspect - different if they were fixed cameras explicitly pointed off-property.
don't want to alienate myself right off the bat, but I'm probably about to anyway...
Well, you failed on that one.
That's an expensive Nikkor 55-300mm high-zoom lens on your D5500 - what do your by-laws say about going around photographing private property with it?
Lol on the GPS data ...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Santiago,

To be clear, these are the neighbor's camera, correct? And not your cameras, or your client's cameras?

Cameras usually have the ability to black out certain parts of the camera's view. These "privacy" zones allow for putting a black rectangle over a window, for example, so that what's behind the window is not recorded or seen in live video images. This camera feature is so homeowners putting up cams can protect the right to privacy of their neighbors. Meanwhile, the cameras can provide useful footage if an "event" occurs on the neighbor's property (burglary, trespass, etc).

The person configuring the camera sets this up. Point is: the camera owner can unblock the privacy zone, if they wanted to "peak" during a live view, then put the privacy zone back in place for recording video, viewing past video (say, after an event occurs), or for sharing recorded video with law enforcement, neighbors, etc.

We are preparing to take a neighbor to court for violating community by-laws (surveilling neighboring property), filing a false CPS case, and criminal harrassment (sending "anonymous" threatening/slanderous letters).
You have unlawful acts to pursue ("filing a false CPS case, and criminal harrassment, ie: sending "anonymous" threatening/slanderous letters".
And you'll add violations of the HOA bylaws? That's not a "criminal" matter, but is a "civil" matter. You're mounting a multi-pronged offensive against the neighbors? Makes me think you're a lawyer?

(surveilling neighboring property)
Sounds like lawyer-speak, lol.

On this forum, we love lawyers and HOA bylaws that limit the ways we can protect our property. (tongue firmly in cheek)

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
Fenderman will sort you out with a big happy sod off
Well hopefully you’re place gets robbed and old mate has no footage for you
Police in my town come to me and ask nicely if I have any footage and amazing audio
I freely give my time and footage to help out

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
You should tell him bullets are crap for spider webs and to tuck his cables under the shingles as this looks un professional
And he should get his airbrush out and bring in some red earth tones and paint the black in
And those screws need a lick of paint too :iloveipct:

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does the HOA allow people to look at others properties with there eyes or will they get sued for doing so?? :headbang:

Most HOA's conduct business just like the NAZI's did. They should all be outlawed.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
My HOA is primarily interested in maintaining their views of the water and the mountains (I live in beautiful Seattle).
The historical covenants from the 1940's include bits, many no longer legal, like:
- We can't sell our property to blacks or Jews.
- Blacks can't live on our property, unless they're servants, and if so, they must live in a separate structure. And whites can't live in their bldg.
- All homes will be at least 900 sq ft. (ie: no shacks or shantys, lol. Only decent sized houses!)
- Can't park my "buggy" in front of the house. Only around back.
- Can't conduct biz out of my house. (Which has caused some problems for folks offering piano lessons, tax prep, or tutoring)
- Can't subdivide our lot. And all lots are single family lots. (no townhomes or duplexes)

The 1st two are illegal, and not enforced (of course). On the bright side, it shows how far our society has come. Our covenants are too old to include anything like "surveillance cameras". Modern HOA agreements stifle. But people still move in!

Some A-Holes use the HOA agreement to bring a civil lawsuit against their neighbors. There's been a few lawsuits here - the 'offended' party usually skipped the 'neighbor-to-neighbor' chat. Esp when the 'offended' neighbor was a lawyer. "See you in Court!"

Fastb

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My HOA is primarily interested in maintaining their views of the water and the mountains (I live in beautiful Seattle).
The historical covenants from the 1940's include bits, many no longer legal, like:
- We can't sell our property to blacks or Jews.
- Blacks can't live on our property, unless they're servants, and if so, they must live in a separate structure. And whites can't live in their bldg.
- All homes will be at least 900 sq ft. (ie: no shacks or shantys, lol. Only decent sized houses!)
- Can't park my "buggy" in front of the house. Only around back.
- Can't conduct biz out of my house. (Which has caused some problems for folks offering piano lessons, tax prep, or tutoring)
- Can't subdivide our lot. And all lots are single family lots. (no townhomes or duplexes)

The 1st two are illegal, and not enforced (of course). On the bright side, it shows how far our society has come. Our covenants are too old to include anything like "surveillance cameras". Modern HOA agreements stifle. But people still move in!

Some A-Holes use the HOA agreement to bring a civil lawsuit against their neighbors. There's been a few lawsuits here - the 'offended' party usually skipped the 'neighbor-to-neighbor' chat. Esp when the 'offended' neighbor was a lawyer. "See you in Court!"

Fastb
The camera stuff reminds me of all the issues with HOAs and TV, satellite, and HAM radio antennas.

racist covenants like this were pretty common unfortunately.
Here's a set from 1928
upload_2018-5-24_19-11-41.png

HOA covenants may give an HOA the ability to restrict if you can install cameras, but I can't help wondering if things like a restriction that the camera can't see beyond your property lines would actually hold up in court. I don't have a problem blacking out a neighbor's windows, but I have a problem if they try to restrict a camera from viewing the street or a neighbors yard.

Last edited:

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
This sounds like the OP has driven his neighbor to install cameras on their property in order to protect themselves from something. The install looks like they used decent cameras, but were in a hurry and weren't concerned with a permanent install. I went through a similar ordeal with a neighbor a few years ago because the neighbor wanted to be a sh@thead and party all day and night. I am on the guy's side with the cameras pointed at your house. Tough sh@t, don't be a a-hole neighbor and you won't have cameras pointed at you.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This sounds like the OP has driven his neighbor to install cameras on their property in order to protect themselves from something. The install looks like they used decent cameras, but were in a hurry and weren't concerned with a permanent install. I went through a similar ordeal with a neighbor a few years ago because the neighbor wanted to be a sh@thead and party all day and night. I am on the guy's side with the cameras pointed at your house. Tough sh@t, don't be a a-hole neighbor and you won't have cameras pointed at you.
A bunch of "don't tread on me" types (some of the literal flag flying variety) made my weekend less enjoyable than it should have been.
They seem to need regular and increasingly forceful reminders not to tread on the neighbors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OP, did you ever see a “drive in” with bright lights that washed out the view of the screen from the road?
But that is not answering your question.
The segmented edges of the PTZ should be a little unique, but I haven’t seem them.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
If the OP goes after his neighbor, can't the neighbor counter-claim based on the pictures posted here? The OP clearly "surveilled" his neighbor to produce pictures of the offending cameras.

Jeez OP, get a grip. Maybe just ask the neighbor to make sure the home position for those PTZs is pointed on his own property? Perhaps they already are?

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So what was the camera on the first pict? looks cool!!!

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The PTZ is from ADT I think. MY neighbor has an old one hanging on his house thats dead and pointing at the ground. Probably about 8-10 years old.

MarcW

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wtf? maybe your neighbor is better off purchasing some assault rifles instead of security cams if you HOA is against cams....that would make your neighborhood a safer place. Right?

I hate what the NRA has done to our country, but maybe its time to set a new non-profit advocate for security cams...we can call it the National Security Camera Association...the NSCA and start soliciting for donations and lawyers.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
wtf? maybe your neighbor is better off purchasing some assault rifles instead of security cams if you HOA is against cams....that would make your neighborhood a safer place. Right?

I hate what the NRA has done to our country, but maybe its time to set a new non-profit advocate for security cams...we can call it the National Security Camera Association...the NSCA and start soliciting for donations and lawyers.
Hi Marc,

"what the NRA has done to our country..."

I suspect you're buying a false story which has significantly distorted numerous facts.

There's a lot more to the entire issue than what popular media wishes to portray, and remember the mass media is a business and for them business is good when they can increase viewership through polarizing emotional "news".