Q's Cheap Camera Shootout

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Very Nice thanks for doing this @Q2U. What Camera is your personal Favorite?

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know this isn't going to help much but I run my 4MP Hiks at 6144kbps VBR @ 20fps and 2MP IMX322 camera at 2048kbps VBR @ 25fps. Don't get the issues you have either - quality wise is slightly better but compared to analog stuff the differences we are comparing is minimal. A friend recently ignored advice and bought a 900TVL system from Amazon after reading a "review". The pictures looked nothing like the review pictures which was just another affiliate scam review site. What you are doing is helping others not make that mistake! Thumbs up.

I'll get some photos/videos up.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight we'll run the Novate Mini Bullet | 1/3" Sensor | 2MP | 1920 x 1080 | 2.8mm | 4096 VBR Bitrate | 10fps & iFrame @ 10

I'm certain that the night-vision of this unit could be improved with a bit of tweaking, if I knew what I was doing like some of you other guys. But perhaps more to the point, IMO one should not have to spend hours testing and tweaking a camera in order to achieve small incremental improvements. I did mess with the settings for 5 minutes but lost patience and gave up after deciding that one should never spend less than $150.00 for an IP camera. I must say however that the Novate camera interface software is very good IMO...easy to use and not a lot of bugs (unlike the Diske Sony IMX322...which suQed...with a "Q" my friends...which indicates profound suQage).

Novate Mini Bullet Day

Novate Mini Bullet Night

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight we ran the Novate Turret | 1/3" Sensor | 2MP | 1920 x 1080 | 2.8mm | 4096 VBR Bitrate | 10fps & iFrame @ 10

I really like this camera because it's built like a tank with all aluminum construction and no plastic. However, the images produced by this camera are nothing to write home about and this camera -- in either day or night -- seems prone to reflection issues as evidenced by the video below...

Novate Turret Day

Novate Turret Night

Last edited by a moderator:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
if you feel like fiddling with it, you might try turning down the contrast (white level) a bit,
and/or enabling WDR, if not already, but start with the contrast.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're making me look bad! It's too hot outside for me to fanny about getting comparison photos at the moment.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you feel like fiddling with it, you might try turning down the contrast (white level) a bit,
and/or enabling WDR, if not already, but start with the contrast.
I gave that a try pozz...alas no joy...while Contrast and WDR adjustments did manage to improve the images a smidgen, those settings adjustments did nothing to remove the glare caused by the sun hitting the house (on the right side in the day clip) nor the IR reflection glare off the bushes (on the left side in the night clip).

Thanks for the ideas though. Unfortunately I don't believe that this Novate Turret processes images too well. Nice freakin' hunk 'o metal though!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're making me look bad! It's too hot outside for me to fanny about getting comparison photos at the moment.
Bro...your in freakin' England not equatorial Guinea for krikey's sake! Get out there and get us some video!

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bollocks! That's only 91.5 degrees fahrenheit bro: are you a complete pussy? What ever happened to the English...the Nelsons! the Churchills! the Cromwells! the Wellingtons! the Ewarts for goodness sakes! My God man...it was Emerson who said "A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer."...so get out there and get us 5 minutes of video.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Let's just not start with the English mispronunciation of "aluminum" or "schedule."

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Besafe Mini Bullet 1/2.8" Sony IMX322 has arrived! I have great hopes for this $47.65 camera!

Beesafe-01.jpg Beesafe-02.jpg
Beesafe-03.jpg Beesafe-04.jpg Beesafe-05.jpg
Beesafe-06.jpg Beesafe-07.jpg