R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

Reaction score
So say someone successfully unbricks 9 cameras using this method, but in the process irretrievably loses the mtd files for one. Is there any hope for recovery? Asking for a friend. ;)

The good news is that the camera took the 5.2.5 firmware and is reliably stuck in min system mode, so I can telnet to it. I tried modifying the mtd6 from another camera (similar, but not identical.. the one which remains bricked is a DS-2CD2132F-IS, and the MTD I had was from a DS-2CD2132F-IWS. (In that MTD I edited a byte of the mac address to make it unique, and appropriately altered the checksum - I also simply tried to edit the ASCII portion of the name to remove the W and moved the S back to the previous byte)

I may have a DS-2CD2132F-IS installed and in service. If that is the case is there an easy way to pull the mtd's off that (If I have one, I can't be sure it's from the same batch or same vendor given how long ago I procured them? I'm also sure I have a USB to TTL serial cable somewhere if that provides alternate paths to recovery.

roydebets

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to fix my DS-2CD2132 since I seem to have bricked it this evening.

I got to the point where I used TFTP and restore the cam to working condition on a 5.2.5 firmware. Everything seems to work, until I reboot it.
Setting seem to be saved. Now it's still replying to ping on the IP address I gave it, but after about 40 replies, the ping gives about 8 timeouts and then starts responding again. (and it keeps doing that).

Webinterface is not working, Telnet/SSH is not working.

Can someone please tell me how to fix my cam?

Thanks!
I have resolved the issue by flashing another downgrade firmware now.
After reboot it keeps working. So I'm fine with that.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 4 stubborn cams that got hard bricked during the process, on I can upload the brick fix tool, but when I try to mod the files the cam takes all the files yet will not show up on SADP it's a ds-2cd232f-is if anyone has this cam could they share with me the original MOD files that were extracted from this unit? I think durig the hex editor I messed the originals up and I don't have backups.

I tried creating a jtag to fix my remaining 4, will not update via tftp updater. I have connected them but not sure the next sets, I tried to putty through the serial connection but all i get is a blank putty window, it's only 3 wires I soldered has anyone here jtaged their cams?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The serial console is on a 4-pin connector and does not need soldering wires on.
I'm wondering if you have connected to something else.
What is the exact model of the cameras?
I will look to see if I have any files I can supply.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The serial console is on a 4-pin connector and does not need soldering wires on.
I'm wondering if you have connected to something else.
What is the exact model of the cameras?
I will look to see if I have any files I can supply.
i ordered a ftdi232 and the wires that fit into the hik camera board (not sure the model #) they had 4 wires although I didn't connect one I soldered these to the FTDI232 and the FTDI232 is connected to the PC via usb mini cable. using win 7 all drivers for the FTDI232 were installed and it comes up as com22, in putty I selected a serial connection using com22 a black windows opens yet nothing appears, when I unplug the usb connecting, putty ends with connection lost.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've not seen a Hikvision camera board that has holes for the serial console. They have all had a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector.
Can you attach an image of the part of the board in question?

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've not seen a Hikvision camera board that has holes for the serial console. They have all had a 4-pin 1.5mm JST ZH connector.
Can you attach an image of the part of the board in question?
Sorry for the terrible explanation I have the "wires" I am talking about are the JST ZH connectors 4 wires I soldered the FTDI232 to these wires but only used 3 of the 4 wires

Last edited:

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm a bad learner...
On my model DS-2CD2132F-IS once had native firmware 5.2.5 141201. After crazy experiments, I turned it into a brick.
I used "Step By Step Guide" and stuck in step 8. SADP now defines my camera as DS-2CD-Min-System...CCRR...

"8. Using PuTTY, start a telnet session to 192.0.0.64 and make sure the telnet radio button is selected."
How? How to use Putty? It looks different for me than on the video instructions.
What do I need to run / activate / press / enter in order to become like a guru in the screenshot?

Will I be able to install the final firmware IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.5_170401?
Or do I not need Putty, and can I upload firmware 5.2.5 or 5.3 right now to work through the Web interface or connect the camera to the DVR?

I see you have got your cam working do you have the original mod files still I would like to try them in my device that I can't get working, I think I messed up the originals.

IGNORE below...
Where you able to restore the cam? I have one like yours that i can't get going, I can get the mini system in but after I upload the mods the system is nto showing up in SADP, i lost my original mod files, wondering if you had a copy of yours I could try.

I can help you with your issues, I've done over 20 of these.

make sure your ip in your computer is set to 192.0.0.128 then when you putty in you need to select "telnet" then the ip of 192.0.0.64

from there you should be able to get into a command window, whereby you login with root / 123545 and then prepare for the next steeps. When you extract the mod files please keep your originals files extracted, I'm hoping you can send me these to test on my cam.

If your stuck on the next part, I can run you through it

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I see you have got your cam working do you have the original mod files still I would like to try them in my device that I can't get working, I think I messed up the originals.
it's a ds-2cd232f-is
If you can clarify the actual model number, I should also be able to provide some donor files.

I think I messed up the originals.
If you'd like to attach them here, they can be checked out and any errors corrected.
Plus the (modded) versions will still exist in the cameras if you were to re-do the process.

Reaction score
Can I use donor mtd files for these DS-2CD2132F-IS as well??

So say someone successfully unbricks 9 cameras using this method, but in the process irretrievably loses the mtd files for one. Is there any hope for recovery? Asking for a friend. ;)

The good news is that the camera took the 5.2.5 firmware and is reliably stuck in min system mode, so I can telnet to it. I tried modifying the mtd6 from another camera (similar, but not identical.. the one which remains bricked is a DS-2CD2132F-IS, and the MTD I had was from a DS-2CD2132F-IWS. (In that MTD I edited a byte of the mac address to make it unique, and appropriately altered the checksum - I also simply tried to edit the ASCII portion of the name to remove the W and moved the S back to the previous byte)

I may have a DS-2CD2132F-IS installed and in service. If that is the case is there an easy way to pull the mtd's off that (If I have one, I can't be sure it's from the same batch or same vendor given how long ago I procured them? I'm also sure I have a USB to TTL serial cable somewhere if that provides alternate paths to recovery.

Reaction score
I just want to thank you for creating and sharing this process. I just fixed 3 of my 2032 camera. The only issue i had was the tftpd64 part of the process kept getting errors. But I just kept running /dav/fixup.sh over and over and after a while it would work. Thanks again!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well done, that sounds like a good result.
Generally the tftpd32 app works ok, for unknown reasons the 64bit version can be troublesome with the Hik cameras.

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank You, I put my files here

the originals as well as my mod files, no matter what I do after reboot the cam will not display in sadp, if I put the mini system back i can putty back into the cam, and try again but nothing I do works, I've dome many of these so It's not a issue with software or transferring files.

I also have 2 bullet cameras that after trying to upgrade died, when I turn them on the Night vision lights illuminate and stay on, I can't ping or putty into them nor do they show up on SADP, have you even experienced this?

If you can clarify the actual model number, I should also be able to provide some donor files.

If you'd like to attach them here, they can be checked out and any errors corrected.
Plus the (modded) versions will still exist in the cameras if you were to re-do the process.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
no matter what I do after reboot the cam will not display in sadp
I checked the files you attached.
The mtd6ro_mod has an incorrect devtype - for the DS-2CD2132F-IS it should be 1E98 not the 0698 that was used.
I've attached the fixed version of the file which should work OK.

I also have 2 bullet cameras that after trying to upgrade died, when I turn them on the Night vision lights illuminate and stay on, I can't ping or putty into them nor do they show up on SADP, have you even experienced this?
Only when messing with the main firmware.
Upgrade in what way - the brickfixV2 convert/upgrade, or a normal firmware update?

Attachments

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
e brickfixV2 convert/upgrade, or a normal firmware update?
Thanks for the files!!
I gave them a test with this, but for some reason this cam just doesn't like them , I think I'm going to toss this cam , i tried everything I can think of

As for the bullet cams if I can't ping them or see them on SADP or update FW in tftpserver is there anything else I should try? Jtag?

Jean Marc

n3wb
Reaction score
A bout DS-2CD2532F-IWS after upgrade to V5.4.42build 171030, I cannot anymore get in the cameras because of MishMash language. I triEd to downgrade zto v5.2 but anyway I cannot get further than to the first line of 2020-02-12 10:15:38] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized , excepet that the connect is going on with the IP, it looks like the server cannot find the device, I clicked ok when firewall poped up. Can some body help?

nambi

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What type of help do you require, have you successfully completed any upgrades? or is this the 1st time?

where you able to get the digicap.dev file (mini system) into the camera using the TFTPserver?

A bout DS-2CD2532F-IWS after upgrade to V5.4.42build 171030, I cannot anymore get in the cameras because of MishMash language. I triEd to downgrade zto v5.2 but anyway I cannot get further than to the first line of 2020-02-12 10:15:38] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized , excepet that the connect is going on with the IP, it looks like the server cannot find the device, I clicked ok when firewall poped up. Can some body help?

Jean Marc

n3wb
Reaction score
What type of help do you require, have you successfully completed any upgrades? or is this the 1st time?

where you able to get the digicap.dev file (mini system) into the camera using the TFTPserver?
In fact from the beginning I need help, I downloaded all files from the first post I got the digicap.dav (brickfix) from there, I plugged the camera directly on the PC with the Ethernet cable, and changed the IP to 192.0.0.128 I started the Hikvision TFTP server, and I get the first line 2020-02-12 10:15:38] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized After that nothing. I tried with EN first, then with CN, both stuck at the first line, the camera seams not detected. I first power off and Then camera power on, but nothing shows on TFTP server. I tried to see if the camera is not dead and I can in some way have live view by using Batch Configuration Tool, but I cannot use it because of Mishmash language.