Ready to take the dive... but.

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been trying to read all I can so I can setup my first NVR Security network at the house and I think I have decided on most things but I wanted some opinions.

I'll be getting the NVR5208 or the NVR5216 none poe for the cameras but I am un-decided on Varifocals or just Fixed cameras for the sides of the house and the back. The extra cost for the Varifocal cameras makes it a tad harder to swallow.

To give a bit of the layout, the cameras will be mounted no higher then 15 feet and will be looking out no more then 50-80 feet (in most cases less then 20). With that...

IPC-HFW4231E-S vs IPC-HFW5231E-Z

For those ranges and such narrow viewing angles would I benefit from it?

The PTZ for the front I am looking at the SD6CE225U-HNI, I really don't need 25x zoom but I can't find a cheaper model that supports Auto Tracking, I'm open to suggestions. :) EDIT: Only looking for alternative PTZ, not if I should install one...

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached is my house and the locations of where I think I can easily install cameras.

Attachments

Last edited:

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
If you want to save costs, don't get the PTZ. Just use 2 cameras to cover that area. PTZ auto-tracking will not do what you want. @looney2ns can vouch for that.
This video shows what I figured it would do for me and I want the ability to take control of it when I need.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been trying to read all I can so I can setup my first NVR Security network at the house and I think I have decided on most things but I wanted some opinions.

I'll be getting the NVR5208 or the NVR5216 none poe for the cameras but I am un-decided on Varifocals or just Fixed cameras for the sides of the house and the back. The extra cost for the Varifocal cameras makes it a tad harder to swallow...
Hi @Drakon

My recommendations:

1) Get 2 IP cameras to cover your driveway, one on each side of the garage door. Mount them low enough to be able to get a good chance of a facial ID shot when someone wearing a cap attempts to get into your car(s).

2) Test your suspected positions before running the cables.

3) Get the NVR5216 instead of the 5208 .. you'll always want to add another camera or 2

4) Remember to mount the cameras low enough for a good potential ID.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
At 15 feet you'll get a wonderful view of the top of the head. Mount them no higher than 8 feet. A PTZ can be fun, but generally ends up tracking north while something else is going on to the south. Dual cameras, overlapping coverage is the baseline, then add a PTZ.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Test it. Have a friend put on a hoodie, ball cap, sun glasses. Can you easily identify them. If not you have your cameras incorrectly mounted. Test camera placement, with a bucket, rocks and a 2x4, test the location before mounting.

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @Drakon

My recommendations:

1) Get 2 IP cameras to cover your driveway, one on each side of the garage door. Mount them low enough to be able to get a good chance of a facial ID shot when someone wearing a cap attempts to get into your car(s).

2) Test your suspected positions before running the cables.

3) Get the NVR5216 instead of the 5208 .. you'll always want to add another camera or 2

4) Remember to mount the cameras low enough for a good potential ID.
I am less worried about the drive way, I never park there, the PTZ is more or less for scanning the street. The cameras at the front door and rear door are more for identification. I will most likely be placing a camera in the garage as well but right now I want to cover the outside.

The height of the cameras are going to be limited to how far I am going to be able to run the line down the outside wall but no higher then 12ft.

I agree on the 5216 if the price is within like $30 its no big deal.

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
This is mine. PTZ is just drawn in there, because this picture is older.

Basically the location I would like to place mine, the image is from an old street view the Yellow mark is the corner I was thinking about the PTZ but again I'm not even asking about that I am more interested in the side cameras using a fixed focal instead of the varifocal cameras since there is like a $100 price difference.

upload_2019-3-20_15-58-56.png

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Have a look at the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS. Varifocal but priced just a few dollars higher than a fixed focal. Great night vision, on a par with the 5231. That could be your "test" camera for the 2x4 and bucket rig so you can get an idea what focal lengths would be needed for fixed and then could go into service with the rest.

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
PTZ is not intended for constant movement. PTZ's are intended for someone monitoring fixed cameras that need to zoom in on a particular area. It's your money, but you won't get what you think out of the PTZ. They will "auto track" sort of, but odds are it's going to be pointing the wrong direction when you need it.

<edit> read this

Last edited:

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
At the cost of sounding like a jerk, I don't really care about the input about the PTZ I'm not even installing it yet its going to be a future install, I was only looking for suggestions for other PTZ options that supported Auto Tracking that are under $500 mark not if I should put one there...

I'm looking for input about fixed vs varifocals for those particular areas.

@awsum140 I was looking at that unit I really don't want to buy the mounting kit for turret type. I am looking more at the bullet cams so I can place them on the side of the house with out any extra equipment. But as a test unit thats a good idea, thank you :D

gabe323

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think there's any good low light ptz cameras with auto tracking for under $500 besides that Dahua(might be indoor rated) without IR lights. I have the Hikvision 4mp 25x low light ptz for driveway overview and I've been happy with it. It has auto tracking which is great when it works but sucks when it doesn't. During the day I have it auto tracking with line crossing on the street and at night I leave it stationary with auto tracking only for intrusion detection areas. The Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE verifocal cameras on each side of the garage door are at about 6' and zoomed in about 40-50% at all times. If there wasn't a big white truck reflecting ir and taking up so much space I would have that camera facing more inwards instead of straight out. The ptz is about 11' high I think.

overview.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg blue_iris.jpg

Last edited:

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Bullet cameras can be an unanticipated problem. The IR LEDs are arrayed closely around the lens. Bugs, especially spiders, are very attracted to those LEDs. I have three bullets with IR I can't shut off and I have to clean around them every two days during the summer because the spider webs cause so many false triggers. I have IR running on three turrets and have yet to have to clean them due to spider webs. Most folks here have that exact same experience. I suspect it's due to the physical number of LEDs in a bullet, usually around 10, and their location in relation to each other versus the one or two on a turret and being spaced apart and further from the lens. There are multiple ways to mount turrets, especially on a soffet, that don't require an additional mounting box.

There are locations where a turret may not work as well. I have one mounted on a tree so it's unprotected by any overhang or other physical "shielding". It gets rain and snow on the lens any time the wind is blowing toward the camera.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To give a bit of the layout, the cameras will be mounted no higher then 15 feet and will be looking out no more then 50-80 feet (in most cases less then 20). With that...

IPC-HFW4231E-S vs IPC-HFW5231E-Z

For those ranges and such narrow viewing angles would I benefit from it?
Spend some time with the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to see the differences. It should let you place a camera on a Google Maps image of your house and show you the image quality as you move a pin (person) around your driveway/yard/etc.

You probably already noticed that folks here share a ton of info, and that there’s usually a big review thread for just about every popular Dahua model. When you narrow down your PTZ model, I’d say that going thru its review thread is a must before buying. Auto-tracking is not a feature most owners seem to talk highly about... so when you posted that you want a sub-$500 PTZ with auto-tracking, that set off some alarms and I think is behind a lot of the PTZ comments folks have been giving.

Turrets can be mounted directly to walls without any extra equipment, but it does require making a larger hole to push the cameras cables through.

If you want sound, many turrets have mics built-in (the less-expensive 2231 varifocal being a notable exception). Most bullets don’t.

Last edited:

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
Spend some time with the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 to see the differences. It should let you place a camera on a Google Maps image of your house and show you the image quality as you move a pin (person) around your driveway/yard/etc.

You probably already noticed that folks here share a ton of info, and that there’s usually a big review thread for just about every popular Dahua model. When you narrow down your PTZ model, I’d say that going thru its review thread is a must before buying. Auto-tracking is not a feature most owners seem to talk highly about... so when you posted that you want a sub-$500 PTZ with auto-tracking, that set off some alarms and I think is behind a lot of the PTZ comments folks have been giving.

Turrets can be mounted directly to walls without any extra equipment, but it does require making a larger hole to push the cameras cables through.

If you want sound, many turrets have mics built-in (the less-expensive 2231 varifocal being a notable exception). Most bullets don’t.

Wow thats a really cool site, thank you!

The PTZ is more for safty then security, I live in a rough area of town with shootings weekly and I would like to be able to PTZ around instead of going out side. As a side element for it to be positioned to look in an area and track when something or someone steps foot on driveway. Again I don't park on the driveway but I would like it to at least follow the object for the short time it is in frame, after that to reset to the stand by position. No I don't want it to sweep back and forth, its there mainly for an extra camera out front and the ability for me to sweep when I need and if I can't to follow a subject to the front door from the driveway (which is very short) I don't want to run cable to the front of the house in those locations because its a real pain in the a$$ to pull cable there. I may place one on the corner of the house on the drive way side (Far right in the pictures) in the future because I can run those cables through the garage.

And good note on the Turrets having sound, I made an assumption the new bullets also had sound thats on me thank you and @awsum140 for pointing that out :)

I'll play around with that website some here, again I do appreciate the feedback I just felt the focus of the thread was misplaced on the PTZ when I was more or less looking for information on stationary cameras lining the house :)

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
Study this if you haven't: Wiki

This cam is really hard to beat.
Buy once cry once.
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
Thanks @looney2ns, I love your posts and how detailed they are its made researching everything much easier. I've gone through the cliff notes a few times which is a good run down of most things but was looking for a more personal experience of the Verifocal on a narrow fixed position vs a static focal lens if its worth the upto $100 investment per camera.

I am a person that does love the ridiculous don't get me wrong, the house is wired with 10GB networking copper/fiber, Cisco switches and Sophos Firewall. I was half tempted to store the video on my 100TB NAS but I don't think I want the wear of all the writes on my 10TB drives so I'll go with the NVR for now.

Thanks again for the info.

Drakon

n3wb
Reaction score
Side note, I see the operational range on some of the cameras is around 60C (140f) here in Phoenix it gets upto 120ish in the summer. Has anyone has any challenges with running the non-ultras in the heat? Keeping them out of direct sunlight seems the best idea if possible. I'm sure they are fine it was just a thought lol.