Recommended camera for Well lit front house

sydnew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I read a lot about suggesting IPC HDW5231R-Z in their front house because of its excellent low light capabilities but my place is well lit by a streetlight in the middle of my house. Is IPC-HDW4431C-A good enough or is there any better non starlight out there. Also does a 4 mp camera will still get worse even in lighted condition? btw Im still using analog camera using BI on my place and I m going to slowly upgrade to IP camera. tnx.Event20171106000500003.avi_snapshot_00.04_[2017.11.09_17.20.20].jpg

SLC

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are a few discussions regarding the IPC-HDW4431C-A

IPC-HDW4431C-A Discussion

IPC-HDBW4421R-AS - new model 4mp turret (no pics)

Looks like that camera model comes with fixed lens. You may want to check out the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology it's a lot cheaper then the HDW5231R-Z and comes with a fixed lens and you get the Starlight capabilities. Here is a link to @nayr review - Dahua Starlight Fixed Lens Turret (IPC-HDW4231EM-AS)

You can reach out to Andy @EMPIRETECANDY and see what the cost is for the HDW4231EM-AS. I think you would be much happier with this model vs the 4431C-A

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd still run the HDW5231R-Z. If you have a good amount of light out there already, that will allow you to run the camera in color all night long, which makes it much easier to ID people, clothing, and vehicles. The performance of these cameras is excellent, and even at 2mp will provide a better picture even in lighted conditions due to the larger image sensor. "Megapixels" seems to be a marketing invention developed by the companies to separate you from your money. There is no standard for Megapixels, so company to company that will mean different things. Bigger is NOT always better. You want to look at the quality of the image sensor and how much light it can gather and get the most sensitive one that fits your budget. I have several of my HDW5231R-Z cameras running in color all night long as there is enough light to do that where they are mounted. And I replaced a bunch of 3mp and 4mp cameras with the HDW5231R-Z's and the quality of my images as we as my ID capability has improved significantly.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I read a lot about suggesting IPC HDW5231R-Z in their front house because of its excellent low light capabilities but my place is well lit by a streetlight in the middle of my house. Is IPC-HDW4431C-A good enough or is there any better non starlight out there. Also does a 4 mp camera will still get worse even in lighted condition? btw Im still using analog camera using BI on my place and I m going to slowly upgrade to IP camera. tnx.View attachment 23375
Better to buy original english ones, or else future easy stopped by dahua and firmware can't be updated, so can't solve problems for the bugs, or hacked issues.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I read a lot about suggesting IPC HDW5231R-Z in their front house because of its excellent low light capabilities but my place is well lit by a streetlight in the middle of my house. Is IPC-HDW4431C-A good enough or is there any better non starlight out there. Also does a 4 mp camera will still get worse even in lighted condition? btw Im still using analog camera using BI on my place and I m going to slowly upgrade to IP camera. tnx.View attachment 23375
Better to buy original english ones, or else future easy stopped by dahua and firmware can't be updated, so can't solve problems for the bugs, or hacked issues.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read a lot about suggesting IPC HDW5231R-Z in their front house because of its excellent low light capabilities but my place is well lit by a streetlight in the middle of my house. Is IPC-HDW4431C-A good enough or is there any better non starlight out there. Also does a 4 mp camera will still get worse even in lighted condition? btw Im still using analog camera using BI on my place and I m going to slowly upgrade to IP camera. tnx...
Hi Sydnew,

I see you're new to posting here, so I wanted to welcome you here - and in case I had not already, wanted to share some notes with you.

I really like the starlight models for getting color in lower light conditions - and would recommend those cameras as your first choice.
Also, recommend that anyone coming to your front door would have to walk through at least 2 camera field of views to increase the chances to get a good ID angle and image of them.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

sydnew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
. You may want to check out the IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology it's a lot cheaper then the HDW5231R-Z and comes with a fixed lens and you get the Starlight capabilities.
I didnt realize it has non varifocal version which is cheaper. Dahua naming is confusing.

Honestly, I'd still run the HDW5231R-Z. If you have a good amount of light out there already, that will allow you to run the camera in color all night long, which makes it much easier to ID people, clothing, and vehicles.
You are right because my old camera turn black and white sometimes when there is slight changes in the light source , It has something to do with sensitivity to light. I guess I m going for non fixed version of HDW5231R-Z. tnx

Is updating IP Cam really important? I thought the original firmware is stable enough. does this affect also the PC based Blue Iris?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I didnt realize it has non varifocal version which is cheaper. Dahua naming is confusing.

You are right because my old camera turn black and white sometimes when there is slight changes in the light source , It has something to do with sensitivity to light. I guess I m going for non fixed version of HDW5231R-Z. tnx

Is updating IP Cam really important? I thought the original firmware is stable enough. does this affect also the PC based Blue Iris?
Yes, that is important. But if your budget not enough buy those ones also be fine, just the experience not as good as the original ones. For the security or backdoor issues, this surely have , but updatable one can be sorted by updating.

sydnew

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok last question, why it is not advisable to use 2.8mm lens or I m wrong to assume?

CountZero

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
2.8 isn't necessarily bad. Its just a matter of what you are trying to do with the camera. If you want a wide overview of the area, or a nature cam, or a weather cam, then 2.8 is perfect. If you want clear identification within the frame for security, 2.8 gives you such a wide view, it makes objects and people smaller if they are not right up close to the camera, which can make identification more difficult.

That being said, there are times when 2.8 works well. I'm going to be adding a cam with a 2.8 lens on my front porch right next to the door. I went 2.8 because I want the view wide enough to cover the entire porch so I don't have any blind spots out there, but I also know that anyone approaching the door is limited in where they can go, so they are going to be walking directly into the identification zone and standing at the door looking right at the camera. Once they hit the edge of the porch, they are less than 10 feet from the camera so from the edge of the porch to the doorbell, I'm going to get a nice clear shot no matter where they stand or walk. (And to get to that camera on the front door, they have already passed at least 2 other cameras that are set to give me good ID quality images as well.) I don't use 2.8 lenses for cameras that are pointed out away from the house. I use varifocals and tighten up the view to cover the potential entry points with enough detail that I can make a good identification. Anything that happens near the house is in the ID zone, anything beyond the ID zone is less important to me. I don't necessarily need to identify someone loitering out at the street. That's public space and not my concern. (I can generally use digital zoom and pull a logo or a phone number or a truck number if I need to, but that far out I don't get clear faces. Once they are on my property, odds are they are going to be heading for a door or a window. Those access points I absolutely want to have high resolution coverage on.

The only point on the street that I care about, is at the end of my driveway at my front gate. I have a camera pointed down my driveway at my front gate currently. The gate is 160 feet away from where the camera is mounted and it straight and unobstructed. I currently have a HDW5231R-Z mounted there. That camera is 2.7-12mm, and I have it zoomed in all the way to 12mm. It shows the gate, the road on both sides and the driveway. I'm replacing that with a bigger varifocal. The HDW5231R-Z12, which is 5.3-64mm. If my calculations are correct, that new camera will be running at almost the full 64mm to make the gate itself almost full frame, which will give me clear ID shots of anyone that pulls into the driveway up to the gate.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok last question, why it is not advisable to use 2.8mm lens or I m wrong to assume?
Hi Sydnew,

CountZero did a good job of giving you an idea about the 2.8mm lens.

Here's some math also to help ;)

ID spec distance and associated area max covered calculations ( 100ppf+ ):

This is the theoretical max based on raw pixels from the horizontal resolution and the horizontal FOV. Calculations based on data provided in ads / spec sheets. Some vendors like to play games and list diagonal FOV instead of horizontal FOV as that number is bigger and not clarify that it is diagonal FOV.
Actual real world results will be decreased due to the quality of the camera ( glass vs plastic lens, compression quality, sw/firmware,... ), installation view, as well as environmental conditions ( low light, haze, fog, glare off snow, water rain,.. ).

Practical meaning: Place your cameras in such a manner that any suspect / subject you wish to potentially ID is within this ID spec distance, as well as in a placement which will give you a high likelihood of obtaining a good facial image ( mount camera 8 feet or less high ).

Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-AS starlight fixed lens 1080p 1920x1080
w/2.8mm lens FOV H 110 degrees: 10 feet { area covered 95.94 sq feet covered }
w/3.6mm lens FOV H 87 degrees: 12.65 feet { 121.43 sq feet covered }
w/6mm lens FOV H 51 degrees: 21.58 feet { 207.16 sq feet covered }

So the 3.6mm lens gives you 25%+ more distance to ID suspects compared to the 2.8mm