REVIEW: Budget 4MP Turret Comparison - IPC-T2431T-AS vs Chinese HDW4433C-A

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good review - I personally have installed over 100 of the 4433's now. Over the past 4 years i've only had 1 of them go bad. Im super impressed with the quality of the 4433 for only $55

katalyst

n3wb
Reaction score
So as suggested I think I'll buy one IPC-T2431T-AS and use it to work out what FoV I need.

Then hopefully the 3.6 will be enough, other wise will have to look around a bit more (these don't come in a 6mm?)

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am curious to see if these could be used successfully as LPR cams if using the 3.6
I have a good location right at the curb and this price would make me feel better about getting the 2 cams I want out there.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am curious to see if these could be used successfully as LPR cams if using the 3.6
I have a good location right at the curb and this price would make me feel better about getting the 2 cams I want out there.
Absolutely no - not a chance. You will want something with a longer focal length

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Actually for just a few dollars more I found the T2431T-AS to be a better camera.
$35 per camera more isn't just a few dollars more when you start putting multiple cameras into a project. I am absolutely not against using better cameras - I do it all the time. But sometimes the additional cost isn't worth the money.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
$35 per?? I belive you can get a better deal on them than that. specially if you order a larger quanity.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Its much better camera in total darkness...

StratRider

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Absolutely no - not a chance. You will want something with a longer focal length
Oh, jeez, I left out that I was referring to using the 2431 cams as LPR's and not the 4433's.
So I am comparing $85ea vs. $130ea for some 2231's that I had previously considered.
So far I have not seen an mention of the 2431's in the LPR forum either.
Thanks for any additional input.

Last edited:

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can verify it lines up with the PFA130-E. I got some for my landlord for a low-budget setup for one of his apartment properties. Here's a sample view looking down on a relatively dim scene. Light is from cloud cover over an urban area, with light at the right coming from one light bulb about 5 meters above the ground on a porch.

E_Sidewalk.20200122_190842196_1.jpg

The 6144kbit/sec maximum bitrate is a little restrictive, BUT if you can run H265, you can still use 6144kbit/sec while getting better compression. So that's what I would recommend if you are noticing moving objects trailed by a wake of compression noise (and have H265 as an option). For a Blue Iris user, you could have BI use software decoding instead of QuickSync, or use nVidia NVDEC if you have a suitable nVidia card.

The model above is the 2.8mm lens and it is about 10 meters above ground level. This is not its final destination, I just tacked it up there to get a feel for its FOV before we install them at the actual location.

Below is a photo of people at a walking pace in overcast daylight. This isn't what the average IPCT member would approve of, but the landlord's objective is mainly to be able to tell what the known residents are doing, not to identify prowlers and intruders, so an overhead view that can basically confirm his suspicions will be adequate to start with. Whose car is this, it's not a resident but it's here a lot... who is making a mess by the dumpster.... that type of thing.

E_Sidewalk.20200122_153540987_1.jpg

NOAMattD

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do “most” Dahua models line up with the PFA130-E?
If you're not sure it'll tell you on the Dahua website, just click "Accessories" for whatever camera you're looking at.

I also got 3.6mm 2431T-AS from Andy's Amazon store and while I haven't installed it yet I'm really impressed with the tests I've done so far. Great daytime quality which is my main need but for the relatively small area I'm monitoring it's all I need at night as well. At this price point for the quality I don't think you can justify getting anything less capable, and I know buying direct is even cheaper but I needed mine ASAP and the Amazon return policy is good for peace of mind.

I'd totally start with these using just SD cards before buying dedicated NVR hardware or a surveillance PC if money was tight.

gyrex

n3wb
Reaction score
This camera looks fantastic for the money. I'm currently planning a rather large home build and this camera has shot to the top of my list. I was initially looking at the Reolink camera system but I think I'm moving in the direction of BI and Dahua cameras. I'll probably need 12-16 cameras to get sufficient coverage of my home. I have a couple of questions though:
  1. If I buy these cameras from Andy @EMPIRETECANDY , can I upgrade them as new firmware comes out? I've seen the horror stories of the cheaper chinese cameras from Aliexpress and Amazon so I think I'd prefer to pay a little extra to future proof the camera.
  2. Does this model come in a bullet style? Or are the turret style ones ok for outdoor? Is there any benefit/advantage of bullet style ones outside?
  3. What are people's thoughts on the 2.8mm vs 3.6mm one here? I'm thinking the 3.6mm version will give me more detail.
It probably makes sense to buy just one at first just to check it out and make sure I'm happy with it before going ahead with a larger order.

Thanks for your help!

John

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
1 - Buying from Andy guarantees the firmware can be upgraded.

2 - Turrets are weather proof and can be mounted in any position without problems. Generally, it's a good idea to use the appropriate mounting box with them so there's a place for the RJ connector that is weather proof as well.

3 - Look at the IPVM camera calculator, don't guess at focal lengths. Alternately, buy a varifocal first and experiment in each location that you want to place a camera. Take notes of the zoom when you do. You can calculate the approximate focal length that way.

4 - Above all, avoid Reostink, Foscrap and all the other cheap stuff. They overstate their specs and cherry pick still images to make their stuff look good. The real test is with motion at night, stills are meaningless.

Last edited: