Review-Dahua DB-10 Video Doorbell

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Umm, I didn't get an alert for replies to this, been occurring a lot lately.
Me confirm that someone needs fired? Haha, Ok, I concur.
Everything I've read only shows the b/g wifi.
From my routers client list. All the issue's even with it showing a reasonably good connection. Wonder if maybe Dahua didn't actually manufacturer it. 正基科技 AMPAK Technology : Advanced Module Packaging Solution
View attachment 27682

I've not been able to get SmartPSS to recognize it's existence.

I now notice that it will record on motion, then if someone comes up to the cam a minute later, no motion is detected for a while.

I'll have to admit, it's been one of the most frustrating pieces of gear I've ever came across.
to test, set your router to N only and see if the camera can connect...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've also been playing around with it for the last week.
Experienced everything looney2ns has said and to add to it, I cant even change the admin password.
The only way to change it seems to be through the Lechange app, but when I select change password the QR code scans but wont go any further.

I also managed to get it running on SmartPSS just through the IP address, but this will only show the live stream and wont give any notifications.
What settings did you use that were successful with this? What ver of PSS are you using?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update. When I installed the 16gb SD card 8 days ago, while I had it off the bracket, I charged it up.
2 days ago, it started sending me low battery alerts. I let it go just to see what happened.
As of last night around 8pm, it ran down completely.
Prior to putting in an SD card, the battery had lasted almost 3 weeks, and was still going when I removed it to put in the card, and gave it a fresh charge.
After SD card install, 8 days and battery is kaput. That's a loonnggg way from the battery lasting 2.5 months.
Did the SD card cause the rapid battery depletion, who knows. It's just another negative added to the many negatives this already had.
Avoid, until they possibly get the bugs out of the software.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update. When I installed the 16gb SD card 8 days ago, while I had it off the bracket, I charged it up.
2 days ago, it started sending me low battery alerts. I let it go just to see what happened.
As of last night around 8pm, it ran down completely.
Prior to putting in an SD card, the battery had lasted almost 3 weeks, and was still going when I removed it to put in the card, and gave it a fresh charge.
After SD card install, 8 days and battery is kaput. That's a loonnggg way from the battery lasting 2.5 months.
Did the SD card cause the rapid battery depletion, who knows. It's just another negative added to the many negatives this already had.
Avoid, until they possibly get the bugs out of the software.
At least now you hopefully have some 1080p video :)

Guido87

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i don't understand, what is so difficult about making a nice looking, good working, ip cam doorbell for a company like dahua,
with all the knowledge available...

nice size... like the hik.
with poe.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns

When you test it with NVR, what brand and model was the NVR and method did you use to try to connect to it?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The resolution of the video is capped at 480p?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The resolution of the video is capped at 480p?
I think @looney2ns couldn't find a way to get more than 480p out of the lechange app/cloud. Theoretically the video on the sd card is 1080p, but using the card killed the battery and I don't think looney2ns ever got around to uploading any footage from the sd card

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
It amazes me how Dahua could bring out such a failure. Battery powered, by itself, is very questionable without having to write to anything. Maybe wired doorbells aren't a common feature in China, beats me.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns

When you test it with NVR, what brand and model was the NVR and method did you use to try to connect to it?
I don't have an NVR, I use BI. I tried finding it in BI find/inspect, in Smartpss, ipconfig, browser, etc. with no success.

I think @looney2ns couldn't find a way to get more than 480p out of the lechange app/cloud. Theoretically the video on the sd card is 1080p, but using the card killed the battery and I don't think looney2ns ever got around to uploading any footage from the sd card
I never could get any 1080p out of it, SD card or not. I just today had the Lechange app do an update on my phone, so I will give the DB10 another go.
Maybe there is a firmware update as well which can only be done through the app. The DB10 has been laying on my workbench in the garage since it passed out.

It amazes me how Dahua could bring out such a failure. Battery powered, by itself, is very questionable without having to write to anything. Maybe wired doorbells aren't a common feature in China, beats me.
I did see that Clare Controls was about to release a completely wired video doorbell, using the two doorbell wires as power and data.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I did see that Clare Controls was about to release a completely wired video doorbell, using the two doorbell wires as power and data.
That would be interesting, if it works well.
I think they tried to make it too much for the Ring fans.
They copied and amplified ring's early failures.

What I'd like to see is some products that are trying to compete with the Ring Video Door Bell Elite, which partially recesses into a junction box and has ethernet/poe.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I never could get any 1080p out of it, SD card or not. I just today had the Lechange app do an update on my phone, so I will give the DB10 another go.
Maybe there is a firmware update as well which can only be done through the app. The DB10 has been laying on my workbench in the garage since it passed out.
So did it record video to the SD Card?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like you were right, they've updated the spec sheet and fixed the typo. It has 802.11n. I think @looney2ns' router screenshot actually showed it was connected to 802.11n, but with the missing column headers it went unnoticed.
https://en.lechange.com/upload/2018/03/09/15205766255015kqzaz.pdf
View attachment 28409

A battery powered video doorbell is still ill conceived.
Here is the client list again. It shows it's connected to G.
I did happen to notice that the DB would drop off the clients list from time to time briefly, and come back with a different DHCP assigned address.
I've now assigned it one in the router.
POS

Capture.PNG

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is the client list again. It shows it's connected to G.
I did happen to notice that the DB would drop off the clients list from time to time briefly, and come back with a different DHCP assigned address.
I've now assigned it one in the router.
POS
2.4G = 2.4GHz in this case as opposed to 5GHz.
The data rate tells you it's connected as 802.11n. The max data rate for 802.11g is 54 mbps. I'm not saying the wifi on it works well, but it looks like it is 802.11n.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2.4G = 2.4GHz in this case as opposed to 5GHz.
The data rate tells you it's connected as 802.11n. The max data rate for 802.11g is 54 mbps. I'm not saying the wifi on it works well, but it looks like it is 802.11n.
Ah, duh, gotcha. :)

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Maybe we do a own doorbell? I will ask some guy for designing. I report this to dahua already, hope they can do some changes soon for the firmware .