Review-Dahua IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 4k Mini Bullet

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@aristobrat , @looney2ns
I just want to follow up. Using IE11 with the plugin, everything is working as expected. A couple new options in the gui settings have appeared that weren't available in Edge or Chrome. Disabling the smart codec seems to have fixed the screen tearing as well. Thank You is an understatement. Having been a long lurker and now a member, I look forward to engaging with you and the rest of the community here.
You can also use Pale Moon 32bit browser or Chrome with IETab extension installed and should work.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I got the camera yesterday.

I have a few problems with push notifications... I dont need IVM or motion detection... i just want to get a push for PIR with a picture. But i cant get it to work. The PIR alarm seems to work fine, because it records on internal SD card and can send an email with 3 pictures ... the event seems to be "local alarm". But push notifications with dahua app does not work.

I dont use p2p. I tried p2p and added the cam as a cloud device, so push notifications for the cloud device with motion detection works but on the cloud device there is no local alarm event for pushing, so it just dont work. With IP/DOMAIN I dont even get a push for motion ??

Already updated to the latest firmware from june...

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought myself this camera, seems ok feature wise (why couldnt they make it so the wires would come out the bracket instead of cuttable if you can reach it), but I have an interesting problem, I have 3 POE cameras plugged into a Netgear JGS516PE switch all working fine (one hik one dahu one generic) all connected to Blueiris
I plug in this new Dahua 1831CPIR to a POE port and all it does it flash on/off green led on the switch and never seems to power up (Red IR led or green power led never comes on) if I give it a quick plug of direct 12v into the power point (literally a half second quick tap of power then remove the 12v plug) while also plugged into a poe port it then powers up and runs perfectly fine just via POE (white led bright light and everything work fine so must have enough power via poe for everything) with no 12v power at all.
Ive unplugged all the other cameras from the POE switch incase insufficient power was a problem, but that makes no difference, no power on with just POE plugged in.
Does this camera need some extra juice during initial power-up, maybe a POE+ switch which can supply upto 30w per port perhaps? or is there something faulty with it, before i spend more $$ on a more grunty switch (or maybe just a 15w injector will do just for this camera?)
Anyone have a similar experience?

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
Heres a video of the POE fault i seem to be having with this camera (I also got a new POE+ 30w per port Netgear swtich which you can see in the video, as well as the same problem on two other different poe switches)

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The power budget for the JGS516PE: 15.4W per port for ports 1–8. The label on the cam states ~12W power input. That is typically steady state current/power. You probably exceeded the power budget w/ the inrush current of the cam. I would try a POE+ switch w/ 25.5W rating. I always buy a POE+ switch because not much $ difference and never know what you need in future.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I plug in this new Dahua 1831CPIR to a POE port and all it does it flash on/off green led on the switch and never seems to power up (Red IR led or green power led never comes on)
FWIW, I was testing out a splitter that lets you run two PoE devices off of one ethernet cable. The splitter worked fine with any combination of cameras I tried *except* for if one of the cameras was an 1831C-PIR. If the 1831C-PIR was one of the two cameras, it would flash like how you described it. If I unplugged the other camera on the splitter, the 1831C-PIR would boot up fine.

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
FWIW, I was testing out a splitter that lets you run two PoE devices off of one ethernet cable. The splitter worked fine with any combination of cameras I tried *except* for if one of the cameras was an 1831C-PIR. If the 1831C-PIR was one of the two cameras, it would flash like how you described it. If I unplugged the other camera on the splitter, the 1831C-PIR would boot up fine.
So your saying if you plug in another POE camera on the splitter and also have the 1831c, then unplug the other POE Camera the 1831c keeps on running? Sounds like the other camera gives the POE switch the signal to initiate POE power sending
I think the 1831c has some sort of incorrect POE wiring setup, or not signalling the POE switch to send power until it gets some power from 12v which then somehow gets it to send the POE signal to the switch to keep giving it power after the initial 'require power' signal? (also same as plugging in another camera on the same port which powers on the POE like giving the 1831c a quick jolt of 12v to initiate power up)

Ive never had problems with Hikvision cameras but always have problems with any Dahua camera i've had (either fail after 12 months or just random errors that make you chuck out the camera in the end) I guess I should have learn my lesson and not gotten another Dahua but i really wanted the LED light/alarm/mic feature for the front door :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive never had problems with Hikvision cameras but always have problems with any Dahua camera i've had (either fail after 12 months or just random errors that make you chuck out the camera in the end) I guess I should have learn my lesson and not gotten another Dahua but i really wanted the LED light/alarm/mic feature for the front door :(
There is nothing wrong with dahua cameras including this one. There are literally thousands of users with dahua cameras. Most likely your issues are installation errors or random failures that believe it or not happen on hikvision cameras as well. I have this camera and it works just fine over poe. There are many users in this thread who have this camera and no one has this issue with a proper poe switch.

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with dahua cameras including this one. There are literally thousands of users with dahua cameras. Most likely your issues are installation errors or random failures that believe it or not happen on hikvision cameras as well. I have this camera and it works just fine over poe. There are many users in this thread who have this camera and no one has this issue with a proper poe switch.
Well now i've tried this camera on all the following what you class as 'non-proper' POE switches, as they dont seem to power up this camera
Netgear JG516PE - Other POE Cameras work fine
Netgear GS108PP- Other POE Cameras work fine
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPS-L - Other POE Cameras work fine
Dell N2048P - Other POE Cameras work fine
HP 2530-8G-POE+ - Other POE Cameras work fine
Perhaps it was due to my install of trying different 1 meter patch cables in all the above?
But you say there is nothing wrong with this camera, including the other user above who also mentioned a similar issue of it not powering itself up directly via POE?
If you could point me in the direction of a proper POE switch that works with this individual camera? All other cameras seem to work 100% fine with all the above non-standard switches for some reason though...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well now i've tried this camera on all the following what you class as 'non-proper' POE switches, as they dont seem to power up this camera
Netgear JG516PE - Other POE Cameras work fine
Netgear GS108PP- Other POE Cameras work fine
Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPS-L - Other POE Cameras work fine
Dell N2048P - Other POE Cameras work fine
HP 2530-8G-POE+ - Other POE Cameras work fine
Perhaps it was due to my install of trying different 1 meter patch cables in all the above?
But you say there is nothing wrong with this camera, including the other user above who also mentioned a similar issue of it not powering itself up directly via POE?
If you could point me in the direction of a proper POE switch that works with this individual camera? All other cameras seem to work 100% fine with all the above non-standard switches for some reason though...
I don't know precisely what's wrong in your situation but when I hear somebody say they always have problems with a with a brand that's highly reliable that leads me to believe that it's user error. I don't know what you did what you were doing to cause this problem, but at this point what I've seen people do nothing would surprise me... I didn't say anything about your switches being non-standard.

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
Went and purchased a $10 POE power splitter to give it the 12v input it seems to need and that seems to work fine via all switches to keep it going without needing an external power adapter, must be my usual Dahua luck of getting a flakey unit, lets see if it can last running longer than 12 months before complete failure :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Went and purchased a $10 POE power splitter to give it the 12v input it seems to need and that seems to work fine via all switches to keep it going without needing an external power adapter, must be my usual Dahua luck of getting a flakey unit, lets see if it can last running longer than 12 months before complete failure :)
Why don't you return the camera. It seems to me that you know what you did to it the cause this problem but don't want to let us know otherwise any rational person would have returned it as it's obviously faulty.

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
Why don't you return the camera. It seems to me that you know what you did to it the cause this problem but don't want to let us know otherwise any rational person would have returned it as it's obviously faulty.
So your saying because a product is obviously faulty its therefore my fault that I did something wrong with it and I must know what I did wrong because I didnt return it?
Unfortunately this was imported from China and the cost to get it back is not worth the hassle or the cost else it would be returned as any rational person would know as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So your saying because a product is obviously faulty its therefore my fault that I did something wrong with it and I must know what I did wrong because I didnt return it?
Unfortunately this was imported from China and the cost to get it back is not worth the hassle or the cost else it would be returned as any rational person would know as well.
That is not based on this one product. Its based on your comment that you have had multiple dahua cameras fail. If it arrived dead as you claim yours had you can just dispute the transaction and not have to pay any return shipping. Next time buy from a reputable seller. Something tells me there is more to the story.

ToyCamera

n3wb
Reaction score
I received this camera to replace my existing back door camera and have the same issue trying to power this camera with my poe switch do you have a link to this splitter you used or would a full injector work as well without using the 12v jack

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
I received this camera to replace my existing back door camera and have the same issue trying to power this camera with my poe switch do you have a link to this splitter you used or would a full injector work as well without using the 12v jack
The injector i got was this one PoE Power Splitter | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand
Seems like a generic 12v splitter so guessing any brand that does 12v output would be fine depending whats available in your country
Unsure if a POE injector would fix the problem, perhaps if its a passive injector that has no active detection of POE power being required and just pumps the voltage down the line regardless it might work, as it seems the camera is not telling the POE switch to enable power delivery so if power is just sent anyway it should perhaps just power up, but if you have a POE switch anyway the splitter will do the job if you have wiring room to place it at the end of the network cable to hide/place the splitter container

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What firmware version are you on with the POE problems? Is it possible the newer ones with this issue have a firmware with a compatibility issue maybe? Where have they been brought in from?

When it's been tried with the managed switches unsuccessfully was anything logged in the switch log at all?

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
i dont know if there where any changes from dahua, but today...

the push notifications of the PIR start working ... really interesting. even picture and video playback of the message from the app works like charm now..

Devilz

n3wb
Reaction score
What firmware version are you on with the POE problems? Is it possible the newer ones with this issue have a firmware with a compatibility issue maybe? Where have they been brought in from?

When it's been tried with the managed switches unsuccessfully was anything logged in the switch log at all?
System VersionV2.800.0000005.0.R, Build Date: 2019-03-25
WEB VersionV3.2.1.709882
ONVIF Version16.12(V2.4.3.651299)