Review-Dahua IPC-HFW7842HP-Z AI, ANPR Ultra 8MP Varifocal Starlight Cam

pinko

Known around here
Reaction score
Iam not sure if this is a genuine Dahua cam. A real Dahua 8MP starlight camera is way better quality.
Shown video's are not representive for Dahua camera's and thats a shame.
(looney2ns mentioned that he is missing Smart IR in the firmware just as in a couple of other AI cams. It's listed in the spec's, but no where to be found in the firmware settings.)
For me thats that indicates its not a genuine Dahua camera but a Chinese clone
Can you post screenshot of the camera menu ?
Video's posted in reviews are posted mostly by enthusiasts. They are raw video in real world conditions.They are not going to be super slick marketing videos.
Your post also insinuates that the camera is a fake, which as you would be aware, would implicate the supplier. Are you serious?
I doubt you would find any member of this forum who is more respected than Andy, so you had better back up your claims with a shitload of evidence buddy. :)

Please start by posting a NEW THREAD and video of any of your "real" Dahua cameras for comparison. I'm ready to be blown away by the superior quality.....

Last edited:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Iam not sure if this is a genuine Dahua cam. A real Dahua 8MP starlight camera is way better quality.
(looney2ns mentioned that he is missing Smart IR in the firmware just as in a couple of other AI cams. It's listed in the spec's, but no where to be found in the firmware settings.)

Kind greetings
Monique (authorised Dahua reseller)
Dahua bewakingscamera IPcamera en beste HDCVI bewakingscamera
WOW! Are you saying hardware wise or firmware wise or both, I do you use Dahua USA cams and Andys cams in my practice, Everything I have gotten from him has been spot on with no issues. Perhaps you could do a side by side tear down video on a knock off and a real one and school the group here.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A Chinese clone of a Dahua Ultra model that is so new that Dahua doesn't have much stock of it? That's an interesting thought.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I want to look at what you are saying with a open mind, however posting a video of a HDCVI 2mp starlight from 2016 ain't going to cut it here, This site has TONS's of videos of Andys 2mp starlights that are fantastic and you are not going to make your point here until you bring evidence of what a knockoff would look like, do a side by side and a teardown and show us the difference, If you can't offer us evidence that this is happening, then don't make accusations. Perhaps the guys at IPVM @john-ipvm could look into this.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@Monique Ive owned 4 of those 3231's for the past 3 years. They are good, very similar to the 5231 IP series cameras. That is a very well lit and staged scene, not similar to most residential or commercial locations.

Most here are very familiar with Dahua technology and thus far none of the 8MP cameras are comparable to the 2-4MP Starlights in low light.

The new 5442 series is better in low light than the 3231CVI or 5231IP models.

Let’s see yours?

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
This youtube video below is a Genuine Dahua Starlight camera. Its only 2MP! you cant deny the difference!?
Imagine what a 8MP would produce.
If I look closely at 1:04, my @EMPIRETECANDY HFW5213-Z produces crisp and clear license plates, I suspect you are running an official Dahua firmware on a hardware clone :lmao::lmao::lmao:

What a stupid mud throwing contest this thread has become :goodpost:

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup Very nice video but again it proves NOTHING about what you are claiming, This will be my last reply on this because I do not want to Hijack this thread, Perhaps you can start a new one on this topic in the Dahua section. Looking forward to hearing more on this.

hebronep

n3wb
Reaction score
Showing sample video recordings of so-called Genuine Dahua cameras in daylight and well lighted environments is plain nonsense when all the issues involved that we are discussing are very low light environments. Just show us how your so-called Dahua Genuine cameras can outperform the Dahua cameras listed here in same conditions.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Going back to the reason for this thread.
I have had this camera up for just over a month now and I am very pleased with it, the IVS works very well ( I get very few false alarms).
I don't normally use this camera for face recognition as it is mounted quite high (about 14 ft ), however as posted earlier in this thread it did pick me up in pitch black and with what I thought to be quite good detail.
I bought this camera because I wanted good IVS and 4k daytime video with reasonable night time video and I have to say that I am not disappointed with my purchase from @EMPIRETECANDY in any way.

I have significantly less knowledge and experience as @looney2ns and would like to hear his verdict about this camera when he gets the time.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Kind greetings
Monique (authorised Dahua reseller)
Dahua bewakingscamera IPcamera en beste HDCVI bewakingscamera
You are right, we sell all fake dahua:eek: The Smart IR issues is dahua's design accident, we have a very good talking with them for this issue and show them the testing result here, you are the authorized seller, but you never work with the R/D team for improving the products, this forum found too many bugs of their products, and most of them fixed up, so you have to thank to this forum for its good working product. You do nothing, but just complaint. A good product always have long way to go.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ill presume you are Andy ? Ok so fake Dahua, you are real man to admid that. Is it also true that you pay money to IPCamTalk in order to be promoted!? then I understand why the members here are so defensive on all my posts...
I'm defensive against most of your posts because you have made quite a few bold statements that appear to be based on very little fact-checking.

Andy has been busting his ass on the forum here since 2016, selling and supporting Dahua/OEM Dahua. Virtually everyone here has had such a great experience working with him (pre-sales AND post-sale) that you coming in saying all of this weird shit is borderline offensive.

Steveee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY I can confirm Auto IR looks to me like its working OK now with this firmware update :D, All settings at standard apart from IR changed to Auto.
Sorry but I can't get any closer without getting the ladder out, and I've had too many beers today for that!!o_Oo_O
smart IR working 7842.jpg
7842.jpg
Previously to get anywhere near that, had to have HLC on quite high, so to me looks much better, Thanks Andy :)

jayson436

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is this new firmware posted? And does this new firmware address some of the ANPR issues @looney2ns mentioned in his review?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY I can confirm Auto IR looks to me like its working OK now with this firmware update :D, All settings at standard apart from IR changed to Auto.
Sorry but I can't get any closer without getting the ladder out, and I've had too many beers today for that!!o_Oo_O
View attachment 48789
View attachment 48790
Previously to get anywhere near that, had to have HLC on quite high, so to me looks much better, Thanks Andy :)
Thanks for your sharing!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After updated with the latest new firmware, this camera's most bugs fixed, include the Auto IR issues. @looney2ns will go on posting more details later when he is free, thanks to his great work!
Yep, it has been cured.
Where is this new firmware posted? And does this new firmware address some of the ANPR issues @looney2ns mentioned in his review?
I will find out here soon. Been busy elsewhere.

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey @looney2ns ,

Just wondering, Is this camera quite similar to the "IPC-HFW5842H-ZHE"? I love the IPC-HFW7842HP-Z but I 'm thinking about going with the other option (IPC-HFW5842H-ZHE) since it is categorised as an Pro-AI Series which I think the price is cheaper?

Ford

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ok... where can I find one of these? Google not showing many offering and what it does, looks pretty sketchy... Andy?