Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I might need to get my hands on the new firmware as well.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is not tracking well. Once in a while does what it suppose to, but many times, it zoom in on an object that is not even moving. Or goes past the object way to much.
Had the 59230, total DUD! IMO the ram was insufficient to use auto tracking. It would spin like a top and do the weird things you stated. Got the 49225XA and with a heap of help from @Wildcat1, it works very very well. Also bought the non auto tracking version from Andy and he hooked me up with the FW. Good ppl. Been extremely happy.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Most likely, I will end up replacing mine with this model.
What you did with yours(59230)?

Last edited:

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The idle motion is getting "stuck" when triggered by a spotter cam and will not return to a preset. If you just move it to a preset or turn the cam and leave it then will work but not when called up.
The IVS tagging on the timeline is very inconsistent and will rarely tag when tripped. I think I am going to reset the camera and set it back up....

Are you able to have SMD and IVS both functioning at the same time ? My testing didn't allow for this.
Sorry Guys,
Been out of the country for a week and got left behind a little with the thread.
Did @jmcu & @Wildcat_1 manage to get the idle return preset working when triggerd by IVS on spotter cam?

If so which firmwares are confirmed.
My currect are NVR5216
5216.JPG

SD49225
Cam.JPG

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@aabs yes as mentioned in this thread idle motion does work. If you still see this issue then try a factory default on the cam and worst case the NVR but just the cam reset should do it for you. @jmcu was using 3/10 FW as well. Will also reply to your DM if you need anything else

HTH

Sorry Guys,
Been out of the country for a week and got left behind a little with the thread.
Did @jmcu & @Wildcat_1 manage to get the idle return preset working when triggerd by IVS on spotter cam?

If so which firmwares are confirmed.
My currect are NVR5216
View attachment 66662

SD49225
View attachment 66663

Last edited:

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1

Incorrect - For me idle motion does NOT work if it is triggered by another cam.
It will work if you just move to a idle position but not if triggered by another cam to a preset.
That's with a FW update and full factory reset on the camera and NVR.

I have several PTZ's and the ones that get triggered to a preset position do not return to a preset with idle motion but only with Timed Task.
It has been this way for me with many different dahua PTZ's and ever since the NVR's allowed for triggering.

@aabs

DH-SD49225XA-HNR
System Version V2.800.1341000.0.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-12
PTZ Version V2.401.0000000.45.RHNZ_190815_33003

NVR 5208-4ks2
System Version V4.001.0000000.3, Build Date: 2020-05-19

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@jmcu thought you mentioned yours was fully resolved (edit: went back and looked at our DM and you’re right it was IVS tagging and SMD that we resolved). Let me reach out to you direct and let’s set some time up to see if we can get that working for you. I will also test on the latest main branch FW and update here. Also out of interest on your other PTZs you’ve seen this on have you tested when triggering preset from within cam. I.e presets triggered by motion detection PTZ linkage, do those return for you with idle motion.

Now with that said yes most with multiple presets will used timed task to move between therefore if a triggered (by other cam) event occurs it would be forced back by timed task co to using a tour etc.

Will ping you first in DM JMCU then reach out to you @aabs

@Wildcat_1

Incorrect - For me idle motion does NOT work if it is triggered by another cam.
It will work if you just move to a idle position but not if triggered by another cam to a preset.
That's with a FW update and full factory reset on the camera and NVR.

I have several PTZ's and the ones that get triggered to a preset position do not return to a preset with idle motion but only with Timed Task.
It has been this way for me with many different dahua PTZ's and ever since the NVR's allowed for triggering.

@aabs

DH-SD49225XA-HNR
System Version V2.800.1341000.0.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-12
PTZ Version V2.401.0000000.45.RHNZ_190815_33003

NVR 5208-4ks2
System Version V4.001.0000000.3, Build Date: 2020-05-19

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this sensor and it’s a perfect pairing to optics on this cam as I mentioned in the review. This combined with the features a PTZ like this offers for under $370 is a powerhouse of performance and a remarkable unit for the price.

Why do they gimp such expensive PTZ cameras with tiny sensors.

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with this sensor and it’s a perfect pairing to optics on this cam as I mentioned in the review. This combined with the features a PTZ like this offers for under $370 is a powerhouse of performance and a remarkable unit for the price.
Ah I see. Seeing how this is an older thread, is it still the best bang for the buck PTZ to get right now ?

Also what happens if there are multiple targets to track. How would it know who to track. Can you set rules so it can prioritize? Is it possible for it to switch between targets automatically.

I assume PTZ is more of a toy or supplemental or requires a paid cctv operator etc to be effective. Not really something you can put in place of a fixed cam right?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Warptrooper - this and the 4MP version SD49425 are the best bang for the buck PTZ with autotrack at the moment (mostly the ones purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY).

That is the disadvantage to a PTZ - it could be facing the wrong way or track the wrong thing - people have had mailboxes and bushes tracked....a lot of things you can do in settings to try to minimize that, but it is always a possibility.

You are right at PTZ is more a toy or supplemental - it should never replace a fixed cam. But in the right situation and the right set up, it can be a great compliment.

I have fixed cameras to cover my areas and use the spotter technique to help assure the PTZ is looking where the motion is, so it is more of an additional coverage and a way to zoom in tighter to subjects. It is actually more of a benefit to my neighbors as it may track a subject to their property and be able to zoom in closer than the coverage of the fixed cams.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes great PTZ for the price.

It intelligently tracks the most prominent target match to your defined FOV, target size and AI one t selection at the time. Therefore locks onto a target it sees meet its AI criteria then tracks that through the FOV in its assigned coverage area / install location. If the target leaves its area of coverage then it will automatically lock onto next target then.

Once dialed in and configured correctly for the location, FOV and desired targets these are highly effective at their job. They are however just 1 piece of your overall CCTV system that should consist of fixed and vari lens bullet cams, turrets along with a solid recording platform such as standalone NVR or equivalent SW NVR platform. Should everyone or does every install need a PTZ ? Absolutely not but some installs benefit from then greatly especially when paired with spotter cams (fixed) to augment the overall setup

HTH

Ah I see. Seeing how this is an older thread, is it still the best bang for the buck PTZ to get right now ?

Also what happens if there are multiple targets to track. How would it know who to track. Can you set rules so it can prioritize? Is it possible for it to switch between targets automatically.

I assume PTZ is more of a toy or supplemental or requires a paid cctv operator etc to be effective. Not really something you can put in place of a fixed cam right?

DavidW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I haven't had it lock onto the next target until it reverts back to preset. Is it possible for it to transition onto a second object once the first leaves "coverage" all before going back to preset?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
David, these AI PTZ's 'can' switch targets but most of the time they will attempt to keep the target in the changing FOV (as the PTZ follow it) through the track time that you set, at the end of the track time OR on a timed task (if you set tour etc) then it will return to preset and look to identify again. This is primarily by design in that IF the camera thinks it can track through the allotted time then that is its primary job. For example if you have some stealing a car on scene but then a human in the distance walked their dog, the cam 'could' potentially switch to that and force you to lose the cap, therefore again its goal is to stick with its primary, prominent target through that track time. In some situations I'll set a super quick track time (due to preset FOV being used for a project) and have it track for a few seconds come back and re-track as needed. Therefore can re-aquire same target or switch if something else is going on. Again the config of this depends on your needs, your setup, FOV, presets, tracking and recording time whether you are using timed tasks or tours to move the cam every x seconds between presets etc.

HTH

I haven't had it lock onto the next target until it reverts back to preset. Is it possible for it to transition onto a second object once the first leaves "coverage" all before going back to preset?

Reaction score
That is the disadvantage to a PTZ - it could be facing the wrong way or track the wrong thing - people have had mailboxes and bushes tracked....a lot of things you can do in settings to try to minimize that, but it is always a possibility.

You are right at PTZ is more a toy or supplemental - it should never replace a fixed cam. But in the right situation and the right set up, it can be a great compliment.

I have fixed cameras to cover my areas and use the spotter technique to help assure the PTZ is looking where the motion is, so it is more of an additional coverage and a way to zoom in tighter to subjects. It is actually more of a benefit to my neighbors as it may track a subject to their property and be able to zoom in closer than the coverage of the fixed cams.
THIS is the kind of community knowledge that needs to be better documented. The community would benefit from a generalized WIKI article that covers placement scenarios, PTZ presets and tracking settings, as well as the how-to of creating strategic use of spotter cams integrated into a comprehensive system.

The cooler-thief video convinced me, and the tacking videos in post #1 of this thread sealed it. I ordered one of these last night, and will need to figure out a game-plan specific to my install scenario.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@sdkid Have a read of my posts regarding this cam and if you need any assistance feel free to DM me and I can connect remotely and help where I can.

THIS is the kind of community knowledge that needs to be better documented. The community would benefit from a generalized WIKI article that covers placement scenarios, PTZ presets and tracking settings, as well as the how-to of creating strategic use of spotter cams integrated into a comprehensive system.

The cooler-thief video convinced me, and the tacking videos in post #1 of this thread sealed it. I ordered one of these last night, and will need to figure out a game-plan specific to my install scenario.