Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Update: I just uploaded the latest firmware from above and it seems to be working just fine. I had zero problems with the upload.
I had zero problems uploading my firmware also.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
@ Parley if it helps I was told to use only tripwire as AT works better with this than an intrusion zone.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@ Parley if it helps I was told to use only tripwire as AT works better with this than an intrusion zone.
Did they give a reason as to why the tripwire works better? I am assuming it can start moving towards that line as opposed to maybe the center of an intrusion zone?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Did they give a reason as to why the tripwire works better? I am assuming it can start moving towards that line as opposed to maybe the center of an intrusion zone?
Hey @wittaj, hope you are well. Thought I would throw my feedback in on Trips and Intrusion Zones on PTZ's if it helps.

There are a few key areas to consider when comparing impact of Trips and Intrusion Zones in PTZ. In general, Trips can be less intensive (less problematic too, read the 'tricky FOV piece I mention below) on the cam albeit depends on cam itself, FOV, targets etc. While true in the case of both Trip & Intrusion Zone that a line (or lines) has to be breached, the cam's AI then has to detect the target within a sometimes larger zone / space if an Intrusion Zone is set and then determine the direction within that space, tracking accordingly. Its also monitoring what can sometimes be the entire FOV (@looney2ns, myself and many here advocate for NOT doing this :)) for relevant targets as opposed to the 1 line as an example. Although AI and SOC improvements help a lot to improve speed of processing, this still can take slightly (and I do mean ever so slightly on newer PTZ's) longer with Intrusion Zones than trips (everything else considered equal). In tight and tricky FOV's this can be problematic as it can impact whether you ultimately get a quick target acquisition (matching your criteria) and consistent track to instead losing the target or track altogether.

With that said, Intrusion Zones absolutely have a place and are great to use especially when you have an FOV that truly allows you to benefit from 4 side breaches or specific areas within a larger FOV that you want to monitor. Similarly if you are monitoring an area for the first time and want to understand potential target paths, capturing wherever possible, Intrusion Zones can also assist. Another great application for Intrusion Zones is in spotter cams for PTZ activation, allowing you to specifically focus on 1 area of an FOV then call the PTZ to a specific preset assigned to that area. In fact in this scenario you generally will use (and certainly is more widespread) Intrusion Zones more than Trips. When configuring multi lens cams such as the Hunters etc you'll generally use it this way too. Lastly, when you have targets that remain in an area, Intrusion Zones can be VERY beneficial which is why Dahua recently added the 'inside' option to IVS rules shown in current cam reviews.

A misconception is that you can only get a decent cap and PTZ track with Intrusion zones as they appear more 'inclusive', and you can get great results BUT if you dial in the Trips correctly, especially when it comes to multiple trips in an FOV (requires more planning / thought due to multiple breach lines being considered), you can use these to aid consistent tracking that is more on point (than Intrusion Zones) for transient targets within a given FOV (i.e. passing through, moving in a specific direction or known pathways etc). In a number of forum member cases I've set these up this way specifically to enable that and its great for human and vehicle tracking across an FOV often leading to more crisp tracks and less lost targets.

Trips are also more flexible and beneficial when you have a tricky FOV that PTZ's often get 'lost' in (can't happen with fixed cams :)). For example, think busy but stationary foreground such as parked vehicles with humans or other vehicles driving by. In the case of an Intrusion Zone in this scenario the cam is constantly looking for targets (especially if set across the entire FOV) and even with the best PTZ out there can mis-categorize either a breach of zone (see it more on Intrusion Zones than other rules), target or both and therefore 'leave' its position to follow what is ultimately a ghost, often times removing your chance to capture critical evidence. In the case of a Trip in this example, the parked vehicle(s) are not moving, nothing breaching the line, therefore more likely (but of course not always guaranteed) that you will only get a track on an actual, legit target. Another example is a PTZ monitoring a wider area with a target path at a longer distance in the FOV (driveway vs across a street or front of building vs distant entrances etc). In this example, especially at night, targets can be harder to spot then track. Trips and in a number of cases multiples can be employed to assist picking up a target (say under 1 light in an area) then utilizing Trips to create possible target paths. Once the initial target is identified, the additional Trips (defined by your careful planning :)) ensure continuous tracking IF dialed in correctly. If the FOV is set correctly this also allow re-aquisition of targets (very much needed in most cases) quicker and again improves the chance of continuing the track. I set these up a lot for people here and they can be very beneficial when and where applicable.

Again though be careful when using multiple Trips in 1 FOV, these can be incredibly effective BUT need more attention when dialing in and the FOV / target needs to benefit from that config. Also remember, more rules in 1 FOV = more for the camera to 'think' about :)

So these are some of the reasons that for PTZ's in general (especially if they are the sole cam for an area or NOT being used with a spotter) they can see a benefit in their Auto Tracking from Trips when deployed.

With all that said, don't throw trips at everything, as I mentioned, they have their place and dialing in the FOV and installing correctly for an area is even more critical.

Lastly, on this topic, what I would like to see in future is for Dahua to take the AI being built around SMD 3 (and beyond) specifically on target acquisition and introduce an option for Auto Tracking. I.e. in SMD on future PTZ's have the ability to track not just from IVS rules but from SMD (as it gets smarter and quicker, especially at distance). The caveat here being that SMD still needs a lot of work BUT is showing much more promise now that it ever did before.

HTH

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi Wittai, the Dahua enginner said it was less work for the camera to use a single trip wire or wires ( 10 can be used on 1 Preset ) than an intrusion zone where the camera has to look at most the image., I always used an intrusion box in the past covering most the FOV but now using trip wires on a single preset and it seams to be working fantastic with people cars and bikes , even at night where Autotracking in the past was average at best.

Here is a couple of clips daytime & night time.

PS take no notice of time I forgot to reset after a factory reset.

View attachment car night.mp4
View attachment Daytime track fast white car.mp4
View attachment daytime tracking person walking.mp4
View attachment night time tracking bicycle.mp4
View attachment PTZ.20211013_080000_1.mp4

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok since my latest firmware update the auto tracking on this camera has impoved ten fold even at night time with objects in it's view the camera still holds track till it's set time.
Here is a quick night time sample and a comparison of my older camera how dark it is compared to the 1/1.8" sensor.

This firmware is now available from Dahua's webpage here ...> SD5A425XA-HNR (dahuasecurity.com)

View attachment PTZ.20211103_180000_1.mp4

Dahua4k.20211103_225005405.jpg

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok since my latest firmware update the auto tracking on this camera has impoved ten fold even at night time with objects in it's view the camera still holds track till it's set time.
Here is a quick night time sample and a comparison of my older camera how dark it is compared to the 1/1.8" sensor.

This firmware is now available from Dahua's webpage here ...> SD5A425XA-HNR (dahuasecurity.com)

View attachment 107180

View attachment 107181
Glad you're enjoying it @ljw2k. Hopefully no more close misses with cars on the street and even if there are, you'll have good evidence with the cam. Keep your eyes on that take-a-way :)

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I wasn't to impressed with the camera's auto tracking capabilities on the older firmware's. It was only when I spoke to my suppliers about this problem they got the Dahua Engineers to write this new firmware with the new Web Plugin. It took a few weeks but well worth the Update and credit where it's due Dahua did an excellent job to fix my problem.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi Wittai, the Dahua enginner said it was less work for the camera to use a single trip wire or wires ( 10 can be used on 1 Preset ) than an intrusion zone where the camera has to look at most the image., I always used an intrusion box in the past covering most the FOV but now using trip wires on a single preset and it seams to be working fantastic with people cars and bikes , even at night where Autotracking in the past was average at best.

Here is a couple of clips daytime & night time.

PS take no notice of time I forgot to reset after a factory reset.

View attachment 104872
View attachment 104868
View attachment 104869
View attachment 104870
View attachment 104871
No footage coming on my end

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide on this camera vs more fixed cameras (like the new color4k-x 3.6mm). What say you guy’s not a large distance to cover but a long way to run cat. Thank’s

mecham56

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey! Does this camera need additional Power, or does it work through PoE just fine?

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I received my SD8A820WA-HNF yesterday. Should I be overwhelmed by all the wires? Or just be more like hooking up to POE+. Any videos on how best to hook this monster up? I about to get started on the 185 page user’s manual. I know most of the wires are for alarms and such. But it came with a 36v power supply. One end has plug to wall and the other has bare red/black wire. Did any of you guy’s do the lightning rod install? I‘v had my other PTZ up for over 3 years maybe 4 And it has no lightning rod. Ether way I’m eager to get it up and going. And I have 2 of the 4K-x coming tomorrow. Thanks Andy.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All.

I'm Extremely frustrated with my SD5A425XA-HNR currently.. Purchased from Andy late last year, but only just got it installed approx. a week ago now.
Initial problems was that the unit would hang/freeze, and would require me to unplug, and plug it back into the NVR. After much back and forth with Andy, it was determined that my NVR couldn't supply enough power to the PTZ, and I sourced/installed a PFT1200 Hi-POE injector, which fixed the problem. Unfortunately, I thought the shipped version of the firmware had a bugs in it, and I had already swapped the firmware before contacting Andy. (insert facepalm).

My current issue now is with the latest firmware, V2.812.0000012.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-04 which has been mentioned the PTZ auto tracking is improved considerably.

Device Type SD5A425XA-HNR
System Version V2.812.0000012.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-04
WEB Version V3.2.1.1114120
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
PTZ Version V2.401.0000001.11.RHNAN_210903_39102
S/N
Security Baseline Version V2.2

However. These are the problems i have with this firmware.

The Camera\Video "Max Bit Rate" settings defaults on reboot. From default, I set H265 / VBR / Quality 5 / Max bitrate Custom - 20480kb/s. I press save, wait for the "Save Succeeded" message, and can validate (on smartpss), the bitrate/quality settings. However, if I do a manual reboot, the bitrate defaults back to 3072kb/s. Frustrating, as the video has poor quality. I tried Factory Defaulting multiple times. and even if the ONLY thing i change is this video settings.. The problem exists.

Next issue I have is the PTZ\Function\ Idle Motion setting. If enabled, it ONLY works if i've manually moved the PTZ away from a preset. If i select a preset, idle motion will never come into effect, and move to the idle configured Preset, or idle configured Tour setting (i tried both).. So the camera would effectively just stay at the last Preset. (I use other camera's as spotters to send Presets to the ptz. When nothing is happening (idle), I'd like it to start a configured tour)

And the last issue i've found is that PTZ movement buttons do not work with the DMSS IOS app.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? the only one I really care about is the Video Bitrate defaulting after reboot.

I've downgraded? to the following firmware. I say "downgraded" with a question mark, because it is a later build date but lower version number. Its a 24th Sep build date for a 2.810 firmware, vs the 4th Sep build date on the 2.812 firmware?

Device Type SD5A425XA-HNR
System Version V2.810.10O8000.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-24
WEB Version V3.2.1.1082385
ONVIF Version 20.06(V2.9.0.979397)
PTZ Version V2.401.0000001.11.RHNAN_210903_39102
S/N
Security Baseline Version V2.1

I can confirm it has fixed the Video bitrate defaulting on reboot, PTZ is controllable from DMSS ios app.
Idle Motion option doesn't appear commence from a "preset" position. Only if I manually move the PTZ's position is when Idle motion will commence (maybe this is by design)

However, I've noticed that PTZ tracking isn't like it was with V2.812.
Has anyone noticed the video settings changing on reboot on the v2.812 firmware? Is anyone running custom bitrates? what's maybe more applicable video settings to run with this PTZ based on your experience ?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Be sure to use Internet Explorer to make the cam settings directly in the cams webgui. Not with the NVR, and not with Smartpss.

danieln

n3wb
Reaction score
Be sure to use Internet Explorer to make the cam settings directly in the cams webgui. Not with the NVR, and not with Smartpss.
Hi looney.. I learnt early not to make changes with NVR web interface and Smartpss, but rather from the camera's web interface directly. Even spun up a windows 7 / ie11 virtual machine to i could experience the webplugin in full force :)

As a small update to my previous post, I've reloaded the V2.812.0000012.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2021-09-04 firmware back on again, and i'm unable to reproduce the custom bitrate setting from defaulting on reboot now.. So that is a positive. I can also confirm ptz movement is controllable from DMSS mobile app again.