Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
latest new one just use a newer security baseline, no furhter upgrade from 2020-11-23, I just go to dahua GDP server,found they delete the July-2021 version. Maybe not stable, still need some working on it.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I use this one. Dahua RD team upload the LATEST New firmware here, and then web manager upload to the website, i watched the July firmware days ago, right now not on it.
Just show up this one. Better wait later when official release.
SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000001.4.R.210708
1626102366109.png
1626101971340.png

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Does anyone have ptz control delay? All my other ptz camera are instantaneous and smooth. But sd5a425 I have to hold control and wait 2 seconds and moving isnt predictable.
Did you sort the delay problem as mine is delayed also tried standard Onvif & Dahua settings in BI but same a few seconds delay unlike my SD49225XA-HNR which was pretty much instant.
The short delay also happens in the Web GUI also.

I am not using the Power Supply which came with the camera as I use the below and wondering if this is something to do with the lag?

Tenda PoE Switch 6-Port/100M Ethernet Network Switch,Hub,4 PoE Ports up to 30 W for each PoE Port and 67 W for all PoE Ports,Plug and Play: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Last edited:

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm powering my SD5A425 from a 24w(?) Injector and I think it's a bit low. I experience the camera to reboot when autotracking and especially when IR is activated (higher consumption).

I agree with the PTZ-stearing being a bit slow. I will connect the 24VAC power unit and see if this also will speed up the PTZ-handling. Will report back to you if I experience any difference.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm considering two SD5A425 or similar PTZ cameras with auto tracking to cover the front of a new home currently under construction. This would be my first PTZ camera, having only used turrets and bullets at previous homes. I saw recommendations to mount this camera higher than normal cameras so any help is appreciated with placement here.

-The front of the house is about 70 ft from the street
-Plan to have cameras mounted on left and right of home with default view zoomed out pointing across each other.

Front picture shows potential mounting points in red or green circles. Green circles approx 10 ft high. Red would be approx 20 ft high. Top view shows rough field of view at 60 degrees.
front-ptz.jpg top-ptz.jpg

-Mount higher at red location or lower at green?

I have an existing BI server (i7-4790s) running a mix of Hik and Dahua cameras (20 cameras averaging ~50% cpu usage). Would like to continue using this server but am open to upgrading if required. Appreciate any input.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PTZs tend to work better a little higher, so you could get by with the higher option. I have one on the 2nd story and one on the 1st floor and for the distance stuff it doesn't make much difference. Obviously the closer the subject gets to the camera, the lower the better, but for getting stuff at the street 70 feet away, the 20ft high would probably be ideal.

Keep in mind that the PTZ shouldn't replace fixed cams as they could be looking the wrong way. But in combination with fixed cams to act as spotter cams, you can have a very robust system where the fixed cam will tell the PTZ where to look, so if the PTZ is facing left and someone approaches from the right, you could have BI tell the PTZ to swing to a preset on the right.

That computer is older but still capable. I suspect you have not done EVERY optimization in the wiki? A member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU. Are you running the substreams? Substreams, Direct-to-Disc, and less than 15FPS are tremendous CPU saver.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PTZs tend to work better a little higher, so you could get by with the higher option. I have one on the 2nd story and one on the 1st floor and for the distance stuff it doesn't make much difference. Obviously the closer the subject gets to the camera, the lower the better, but for getting stuff at the street 70 feet away, the 20ft high would probably be ideal.

Keep in mind that the PTZ shouldn't replace fixed cams as they could be looking the wrong way. But in combination with fixed cams to act as spotter cams, you can have a very robust system where the fixed cam will tell the PTZ where to look, so if the PTZ is facing left and someone approaches from the right, you could have BI tell the PTZ to swing to a preset on the right.

That computer is older but still capable. I suspect you have not done EVERY optimization in the wiki? A member here was running 50 cameras on a 4th generation at 30% CPU. Are you running the substreams? Substreams, Direct-to-Disc, and less than 15FPS are tremendous CPU saver.

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, the plan would be to continue using fixed cameras with wide lenses to capture most while the PTZ could capture detailed activity for face ID and hopefully even plates.

I have done all the optimizations in the wiki except substreams. Will have to ensure all cameras are set for substreams for viewing. The system used to run in the 30s-40s, will have to investigate.

I'm still in early research, but would you opt for the SD5A425 or something else? Would like to avoid going with anything larger...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Substreams will take you down below 15% on that machine.

I would strongly consider then using the fixed cams as spotter cams to help make sure the PTZ is looking the right way!

That PTZ is a great one that has the larger sensor, but the 49225 PTZ if purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY has autotracking and is a very capable camera as well. Smaller and cheaper if size and cost are two factors. If not, then I would go with this one.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I will compare those two PTZ units closely to see what works best for budget and existing lighting.

I'm stumped about PTZ activation. What spec am I looking for as a spotter camera to trigger the PTZ activation? Can this be done without a Dahua NVR using just Dahua PTZ and Dahua compatible spotter camera with new IVS firmware? I have a few IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW8232E-Z cameras. They have IVS options but I don't see the PTZ activation option when I create IVS rules.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I will compare those two PTZ units closely to see what works best for budget and existing lighting.

I'm stumped about PTZ activation. What spec am I looking for as a spotter camera to trigger the PTZ activation? Can this be done without a Dahua NVR using just Dahua PTZ and Dahua compatible spotter camera with new IVS firmware? I have a few IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and IPC-HFW8232E-Z cameras. They have IVS options but I don't see the PTZ activation option when I create IVS rules.
You'll need a NVR to get the "PTZ Link". This is configured in the IVS settings in the NVR. You can use any camera as a spotter, as long as they support IVS.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You'll need a NVR to get the "PTZ Link". This is configured in the IVS settings in the NVR. You can use any camera as a spotter, as long as they support IVS.
Thank you! Spent the last couple hours trying to figure out what I needed without success. More things to look into now, but for a good cause.

For other's searching similar info: PTZ Activation setup

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I would also factor in lighting into your equation as it looks like you will have little to no light at night in that location so would have to rely on Good IR's. so forget full colour cams.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Substreams will take you down below 15% on that machine.

I would strongly consider then using the fixed cams as spotter cams to help make sure the PTZ is looking the right way!

That PTZ is a great one that has the larger sensor, but the 49225 PTZ if purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY has autotracking and is a very capable camera as well. Smaller and cheaper if size and cost are two factors. If not, then I would go with this one.
Thanks again for setting me straight. I had all other optimizations done and only used sub streams for recently added 4k cameras. I just enabled substreams on all and my CPU dropped to 15-20% with some other programs running. On point!

I know the feeling!
Here's a print screen from the NVr, for your reference.
View attachment 96591
NVRs seem to be another rabbit hole from initial search. Do you mind sharing which NVR you're using and if you would recommend it?

I would also factor in lighting into your equation as it looks like you will have little to no light at night in that location so would have to rely on Good IR's. so forget full colour cams.
You're right, will likely utilize existing cameras in conjunction with PTZ, however there is 1 street lamp in front of the home to help a little.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

You can do it within Blue Iris since you already have it - you do not need to go purchase an NVR for this.

With Blue Iris, you can use any camera as a spotter camera, and those are fine cameras for it.

Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the fixed camera, set up a group containing the camera to move when that cam triggers - it should be the only camera in the group so call it PTZ1 for example.

In the camera GUI for the PTZ, make a preset for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want.

On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset you just created for the PTZ.

Go back to the Trigger tab and key it in under the When Triggered area. This should be your fixed camera tabs not the PTZ tabs.

Check the Trigger camera group and hit select and pick the group name the PTZ is in.

Then check the Move to preset and change the number to the preset on the PTZ you want it to move to.

Then check the move camera groups and hit select and then the camera group.

Hit ok and then that fixed cam will call up the PTZ whenever the fixed cam sees motion.

1612843993476.png

Then when something triggers the fixed came, it will move the PTZ to the assigned preset. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

The "Break time" on the trigger tab controls how long the moved camera stay on the preset before moving back to where they were. To get the camera back you could use that based on some time. I think a setting of 0 turns that off.