Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to read the first post of this thread? It has a one-line summary comparing the performance differences between the two cameras, as well as sample pictures comparing the two cameras.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you had a chance to read the first post of this thread? It has a one-line summary comparing the performance differences between the two cameras, as well as sample pictures comparing the two cameras.
Yes, I have, but that is from one person, would like to get the take of multiple people to really see what the real world exp. is.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The zoom on the ZE is 5x optical instead of 4x for the Z, the ZE also supports ePoE which is not really needed unless you have an NVR that supports that, and the looks of the cameras are the main differences.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The zoom on the ZE is 5x optical instead of 4x for the Z, the ZE also supports ePoE which is not really needed unless you have an NVR that supports that, and the looks of the cameras are the main differences.
That is right, but bad news dahua already ends the production for the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, future only have IPC-HDW5231R-ZE.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
But other than the look of the camera, performance wise, which one would be better? and not really sure on whats the difference between the two with the exception of the outer shell (black vs not)
Read the first few pages of this thread.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Summer is almost here and so are the insects. Apparently the area around the camera is attractive to spiders since every night I get several recordings of spiders crossing the image or the webs in the wind.

I've set my camera to record on tripwire with 2 areas; one zigzag line at the beginning of the driveway and one tripwire with the lines going around the entire driveway.
The latter because we have problems with stone martens and they cross several parts of the driveway.

But the spider(webs) cross this section too which results in several recordings every night.
Even though I clean the area pretty much every day.

To bad, since this tripwire setup works great otherwise.

Ugh...

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a good IR cannon? I know that the other popular guy that reviews these cams, has a good IR cannon mounted on just junction box, but never found what kind it was.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are not IR cannons, but I've been testing these from Tendalux, and so far been happy with them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tendalux
Thanks.
Any clever way of power these via the cam or PoE somehow?
My cam will be hanging off the soffit of my house in the back yard. the yard is about 80ft wide and 50 deep from the house, so total of 4000sqft from the end of the house. I am guessing the 80ft IR would be fine for me, but since it will be hanging off the soffit, not sure how to power it since the cam is PoE.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks.
Any clever way of power these via the cam or PoE somehow?
My cam will be hanging off the soffit of my house in the back yard. the yard is about 80ft wide and 50 deep from the house, so total of 4000sqft from the end of the house. I am guessing the 80ft IR would be fine for me, but since it will be hanging off the soffit, not sure how to power it since the cam is PoE.
POE splitter, but be mindful of it's total load capablity, that would be both the cam and the IR.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
POE splitter, but be mindful of it's total load capablity, that would be both the cam and the IR.
POE Splitter? Never heard of that.
I can just run an additional POE wire, that wouldnt be a problem since I essentially have 48 ports on my POE switch. But how would I plug the IR to the POE?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few Z's and one ZE. I had issues with the optics on the ZE and a few others here have had a similar or additional issue. So from my experience I'd take another Z over the ZE. The ZE also has the IRs placed 1 above \ 1 below the camera. The Z has them side by side. In my placement it causes white out spot on the ground where the Z did not do that in the same location. I have no use for the epoe and I do not really use full zoom to notice the extra 1x. Just by experience, others are fine with the ZEs I imagine.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm using this one in my backyard and it throws out to about 220 feet with about a 100 foot width, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J4K9JS/?coliid=I3TRURPUV2WWVA&colid=3DJ96FH498CMH&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm also using these for "fill in", out to about 60 or 70 feet, and like them better than the Tendelux because the mount is far more easy to adjust and could be mounted to a standard electrical box plate using a 1/2" threaded hole like any spotlight mounts https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDRMWVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can get a PoE cable to them,consider just using a wall wart and extension cable for larger ones while the smaller ones will work fine with a splitter. Also, keep in mind you need a "Y" cable if you use a splitter, PoE is not fed through the splitter so you need to power the camera through it as well.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They are not IR cannons, but I've been testing these from Tendalux, and so far been happy with them.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=tendalux
I'm just assuming those look like they would put out a LOT more IR light than the 2 IR dots on camera.
So instead of lighting up a circle area in front of the cam can you see a whole yard as bright with these or does it not work that way.
Happen to have any on-cam IR vs. those external IR night pics available to post?

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a few Z's and one ZE. I had issues with the optics on the ZE and a few others here have had a similar or additional issue. So from my experience I'd take another Z over the ZE. The ZE also has the IRs placed 1 above \ 1 below the camera. The Z has them side by side. In my placement it causes white out spot on the ground where the Z did not do that in the same location. I have no use for the epoe and I do not really use full zoom to notice the extra 1x. Just by experience, others are fine with the ZEs I imagine.
This comment now has me worried because I am unsure if I will be adding an additional IR illuminator to the set up