Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I also noticed with the ZE cameras i cannot set the FPS above 25 even though the specs say it should support 50/60 depending on PAL/NTSC however I didn't see a need for more than 25 so i never bothered to try to find out way but now that you brought it up I'd be curious to know if a solution is found. Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few IPC-HDW5231-Z and a few IPC-HDW5231-ZE cameras mounted. I was expecting to set them all to the same encoding mode settings with matching FPS and bitrate etc and I'm noticing that the "Z" model is showing up as 50 FPS but the "ZE" only shows 25 max. I'm posting pictures of both settings hoping to try to understand what and why there are differences. Besides the .265 codec vs. .264 pretty much everything is default. Should I make any adjustments to these settings? I'm looking to get the best picture quality out of these cameras as possible even if it means giving up HD space. Should I up the bitrate to the max available? I'm not really sure how each setting contributes to the image quality. Thoughts? Thanks for your response.
All on the same firmware version?
FYI: for security footage, 10-15fps is plenty, your not filming a movie.
Mine are all set at 10fps, so I've not investigated as why the 25 limit.
But if you have hard drive space to burn, ramp up the bitrate and frame rate, it will eat a lot more space. Most people won't notice that much of an improvement in picture quality.
Simply going from constant br, to variable will give you considerable more retention time.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All on the same firmware version?
FYI: for security footage, 10-15fps is plenty, your not filming a movie.
Mine are all set at 10fps, so I've not investigated as why the 25 limit.
But if you have hard drive space to burn, ramp up the bitrate and frame rate, it will eat a lot more space. Most people won't notice that much of an improvement in picture quality.
Simply going from constant br, to variable will give you considerable more retention time.
Just checked the firmware on the Z vs. ZE cameras:

firmware on the Z: 2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10
firmware on the ZE: 2.460.0000.15.R, Build Date: 2017-09-07

I'm just not sure what the differences are in framerates and bitrates. My assumption is that the higher each is the better the picture. The unknown part to me is wondering if decreasing one and increasing the other makes for a better picture or not and if so to what extent.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Frame rate is the number of times a second that the camera takes a picture. Raising/lowering this value doesn't change the image quality. I have most of my cameras set to 15 FPS.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Can someone tell me where the ”factory reset button” is located??

Thanks!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just checked the firmware on the Z vs. ZE cameras:

firmware on the Z: 2.622.0000000.18.R, Build Date: 2017-11-10
firmware on the ZE: 2.460.0000.15.R, Build Date: 2017-09-07

I'm just not sure what the differences are in framerates and bitrates. My assumption is that the higher each is the better the picture. The unknown part to me is wondering if decreasing one and increasing the other makes for a better picture or not and if so to what extent.
Correct, higher the bitrate, the better the picture. But try it yourself to see if you see any appreciable difference.
Higher the bitrate, the more storage required as well.

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@toolazyforalogin I got another IPC-HDW5231-ZE from Andy which had the newer 6.22 firmware preinstalled and saw the FPS go up to 50 so I updated the firmware on my previous one and now they both have the option, although I am still using the lower FPS. Andy released an even newer version last night, although not sure what that version is supposed to change yet.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks @Terk - I think I may hold off on updating the firmware as I'm unsure of the process as well as of the mindset "if it isn't broken..." but let's say I was to change my mind and wanted to update firmware. My cameras get their power from the NVR (NVR5216-16P-4KS2). - can I update the firmware with them powered from the NVR or do I need to take them down to power them from a power brick? I do know that it is recommended to "default" them prior to upgrading the firmware.

Aajjoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your NVR should have the option of doing the upgrade from it, that should be fine.
No problems doing the upgrade through the nvr. Did it last weekend and it worked fine, although it didn’t solve the issues with my camera so it’s being shipped back to Andy next week

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When you say Andy released a new firmware version, where do I get it? Ids there a separate thread that shows when firmware is updated and where to safely download it?
Thanks

Terk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy created a post about this specific model this morning New firmware for IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea NTSC and PAL 20180330 I don't know if there is a single place to find all of the available firmware updates and I'm not sure where Andy gets them from since the updates that Dahua has on their site per model are usually behind.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Terk, @EMPIRETECANDY works directly with Dahua and their support team, so I'd imagine they're the source. In the past, he acted a liaison between folks on the forum here and Dahua support (in regards to some specific firmware issues). That was awesome, as there isn't any official way for folks buying the OEM models to directly interact with Dahua support.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy created a post about this specific model this morning New firmware for IPC-HX5X3X-Rhea NTSC and PAL 20180330 I don't know if there is a single place to find all of the available firmware updates and I'm not sure where Andy gets them from since the updates that Dahua has on their site per model are usually behind.
You also can find them on dahua website, but normally they update there every half year per time, actually speaking, their firmware update every 2-3 months.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So for those have have the Z and ZE, which one would you guys recommend?
I purchased 2 Z's but can upgrade to ZE before they ship.
Please advise what you guys think.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Of the posts I've seen stating a preference , the majority of them were based on the "look" of the camera. Some folks like how the Z model doesn't have a solid black front like the ZE model does, and others feel the opposite.

elitef

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But other than the look of the camera, performance wise, which one would be better? and not really sure on whats the difference between the two with the exception of the outer shell (black vs not)