Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can contact me through pm. I am a german professional installer and dahua partner seller. I am not so cheap like empiretecandy because of guarantees (3 Years) and inkl. Tax.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can contact me through pm. I am a german professional installer and dahua partner seller. I am not so cheap like empiretecandy because of guarantees (3 Years) and inkl. Tax.
I'd like also to know how much it differs from Andy's prices to yours. Probably twice as much or more, eh? Don't be that shy and tell us your factor compared to AE prices. Maybe it worth for warranty and shipping.

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The price difference is not alays the same. First thing is as a Dahua Partnership DACH there is not yet a open customer price list, second the price varies by product serie and actually types. Sometimes my EK price (not VK) is less than the prices from AE. All official sellers in Germany have the same base price.
The customer price is not twice as AE, but nearly.

Brand new cams needs to be ordered and needs sometimes around 6 weeks till I can sell them. In fact the german distributors are really patient in ordering brand new parts from Dahua. I don't want to explain why, but as you can imagine no one wants to sell parts with 3 years warranty if the product isn't proven well.

I am doing this here as my hobby. It's not my own shop and I earn very less money for myself if I sell through the forum something.
So if someone from Germany want to buy it over me I need to look what my price is, and I can give a price reduction for forum users, but it's individual.
I am not willed to do price dumping for Internet selling. That's not my profession ;)

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The price difference is not alays the same. First thing is as a Dahua Partnership DACH there is not yet a open customer price list, second the price varies by product serie and actually types. Sometimes my EK price (not VK) is less than the prices from AE. All official sellers in Germany have the same base price.
The customer price is not twice as AE, but nearly.

Brand new cams needs to be ordered and needs sometimes around 6 weeks till I can sell them. In fact the german distributors are really patient in ordering brand new parts from Dahua. I don't want to explain why, but as you can imagine no one wants to sell parts with 3 years warranty if the product isn't proven well.

I am doing this here as my hobby. It's not my own shop and I earn very less money for myself if I sell through the forum something.
So if someone from Germany want to buy it over me I need to look what my price is, and I can give a price reduction for forum users, but it's individual.
I am not willed to do price dumping for Internet selling. That's not my profession ;)
Well, might be interesting if the price for specific models is good. I'm also running a business as a hobby, but don't like to sell stuff and give warranty. So I only do consulting, planning and implementation. Might be an option to let my customers buy stuff from you, so they would get an invoice and warranty within EU.
If you like you could give me some prices in a pm. Especially for the HDW5231R-Z(E), SD49225T-HN and some NVR like 4216 or 5216 etc.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Okay, I found the store..... so, does anyone know the DHL shipping cost of a single 5231? Obviously, this is important to understand for a larger order. The way it's quoted only makes sense for a single item.

What did you pay for your 5231 (yes, the new one) and how many were in the order?

Thanks,

R
will send the link here,also with the Poe switches. This model I booked in July, normally they need 40days ready. And I keep booking new order from them, so can ship out more.sorry I was out for a trip this weekend .

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This model no stock now, the ready date should be 17days later. so would be a hard time again, lol ~

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I installed my new 5231RP-ZE today.
For all the praise the cam and it's predecessor have received I have to say with out of the box default settings the picture quality is underwhelming.
At least one quarter of the picture seems to be out of focus.
Please find attached a few sample shots. Before I took the snapshots I let the cam auto focus.
The blue cardboard in 2nd and 3rd picture is roughly the same distance from the cam.
Is this to be expected? I'd be very grateful for your opinion.
Btw, between the snapshots I changed the orientation, so out of focus side changes from right to left.20170916_140932.jpg 20170916_185133_focus_left.jpg 20170916_185637_focus_right.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My opinion is no. Slightly wider zoom, slightly longer telephoto, very slightly better at night.
But, I don't see any reason to not buy it, to me it comes down to aesthetics.
Thank you for the testing and thank you Andy for sending it out for testing. I have to agree with your analysis.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed my new 5231RP-ZE today.
For all the praise the cam and it's predecessor have received I have to say with out of the box default settings the picture quality is underwhelming.
At least one quarter of the picture seems to be out of focus.
Please find attached a few sample shots. Before I took the snapshots I let the cam auto focus.
The blue cardboard in 2nd and 3rd picture is roughly the same distance from the cam.
Is this to be expected? I'd be very grateful for your opinion.
Btw, between the snapshots I changed the orientation, so out of focus side changes from right to left.View attachment 21821 View attachment 21825 View attachment 21827
something doesnt seem right

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Did you remove the transparant plastic lens cover?
yes. 2/3 of the picture is perfectly focused, 1/3 is not. you can manually adjust focus to get the 1/3 perfect, but then 2/3 are blurred.

redfive

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@pls68 Not good at all, something is definitely wrong, maybe the sensor isn't correctly placed...

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed the same with my cameras that just arrived. Only thing i did was open them to install and sd card. Not sure it that caused something or if there is a fault with the cameras. Might try and open them up tomorrow and check the fitting

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I noticed the same with my cameras that just arrived. Only thing i did was open them to install and sd card. Not sure it that caused something or if there is a fault with the cameras. Might try and open them up tomorrow and check the fitting
installing sd card should not cause this. I believe there must be a small misalignment between sensor and lens. @Jagradang If you have the same issue as I do there might be a chance that Dahua hasn't perfected it's manufacturing process for the new model yet.

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you may be right. I wonder if Andy @EMPIRETECANDY has had anyone else mention this issue to him or any returns based on it.

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have been in contact with him regarding the issue. He said he will contact Dahua and get back to me after Chinese holiday.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
In terms of aesthetics, which is better for deterrence, this model (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) or the highly praised IPC-HDW5231R-Z model?