Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "Z" model can be oriented to look sort of like a Mickey Mouse silhouette; the IR lights are the "ears".

Is that inviting, however?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I installed my new 5231RP-ZE today.
For all the praise the cam and it's predecessor have received I have to say with out of the box default settings the picture quality is underwhelming.
At least one quarter of the picture seems to be out of focus.
Please find attached a few sample shots. Before I took the snapshots I let the cam auto focus.
The blue cardboard in 2nd and 3rd picture is roughly the same distance from the cam.
Is this to be expected? I'd be very grateful for your opinion.
Btw, between the snapshots I changed the orientation, so out of focus side changes from right to left.View attachment 21821 View attachment 21825 View attachment 21827
Hey buddy, can send me a short video? Dahua guys ask me to send them the video for checking.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
So has anyone got a good copy without decentered lens?
This model we sold around 120pcs when they released, till now not get many feedback for the problem. Today just get another 150pcs, i will make some testing when i get it.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In terms of aesthetics, which is better for deterrence, this model (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE) or the highly praised IPC-HDW5231R-Z model?
Personally, I have my cameras mounted on white soffit and find the mostly black front of the new models catches my eye (when casually glancing at the house from the street) more than the previous Micky Mouse models do. IMO, that makes the new ones stand out more, which may make them more of a deterrent.

The first three photos in this post might help illustrate that.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks aristobrat. I was thinking along the same line as well. Hopefully the purported focus issues will be resolved soon. Cheers :)

Personally, I have my cameras mounted on white soffit and find the mostly black front of the new models catches my eye (when casually glancing at the house from the street) more than the previous Micky Mouse models do. IMO, that makes the new ones stand out more, which may make them more of a deterrent.

The first three photos in this post might help illustrate that.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks aristobrat. I was thinking along the same line as well. Hopefully the purported focus issues will be resolved soon. Cheers :)
For me it's the same. The black face would point out more on white ground. Personally I'll use the R-ZE ones at places where I want camouflage it a little more. I have dark bricks and I'm going to paint the cams which get mounted at the wall in RAL7016. It's easier if you don't have to paint the front of the cam :)

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've sold my Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS dome camera yesterday in favour of the IPC-HDW5232R-Z or this newer IPC-HDW5232R-ZE. This newer one seemed to be the better deal, however:

- I've been reading about limited stock/supply. Has this been solved at this moment?
- Also been reading about the focus problem. Has this been a problem for a lot of the ZE camera's, has it been solved?

If above is solved; I obviously going to buy it from @EMPIRETECANDY with the PFA137 junction box.
Should I contact you trough this forum, by email, by the Aliexpress store email or?
You mentioned you give 5% discount for members; is that the 5% currently at the Ali store that expires in 2 days?
Also, I live in the Netherlands; shipping with DHL is basically a guarantee it will show up with extra import taxes.
Do you offer other shipping methods to the Netherlands?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've sold my Hikvision DS-2CD2132F-IWS dome camera yesterday in favour of the IPC-HDW5232R-Z or this newer IPC-HDW5232R-ZE. This newer one seemed to be the better deal, however:

- I've been reading about limited stock/supply. Has this been solved at this moment?
- Also been reading about the focus problem. Has this been a problem for a lot of the ZE camera's, has it been solved?

If above is solved; I obviously going to buy it from @EMPIRETECANDY. Should I contact you trough this forum, by email, by the Aliexpress store email or?
You mentioned you give 5% discount for members; is that the 5% currently at the Ali store that expires in 2 days?
Also, I live in the Netherlands; shipping with DHL is basically a guarantee it will show up with extra import taxes.
I've not had any issues with mine.
He does his best to avoid import tax.
Contact him via conversations here on the forum upper right corner.
@EMPIRETECANDY

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

If above is solved; I obviously going to buy it from @EMPIRETECANDY with the PFA137 junction box.
Should I contact you trough this forum, by email, by the Aliexpress store email or?
The cams just get 60pcs in, so can sell for a while. EU countries we do free tax way and no need to pay any tax, we pay tax for you. Special service for our members from EU.

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey buddy, can send me a short video? Dahua guys ask me to send them the video for checking.
This is a short video of the lens issue.
Video starts with the focus set by camera's autofocus option, left side out of focus.
I then reset focus by using the "restore all" button on the "zoom and focus page", you can see the lens moving, after that left side is out of focus.
Then I used the manual focus "near" button to get the left side into focus leaving the right side completely blurred.
Then I used the "autofocus" button, right side nicely focused, left side completely out of focus again.
@EMPIRETECANDY please arrange the exchange of the faulty cam. Thank you!

edit: had to zip the video in order to get it to upload.

Attachments

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This is a short video of the lens issue.
Video starts with the focus set by camera's autofocus option, left side out of focus.
I then reset focus by using the "restore all" button on the "zoom and focus page", you can see the lens moving, after that left side is out of focus.
Then I used the manual focus "near" button to get the left side into focus leaving the right side completely blurred.
Then I used the "autofocus" button, right side nicely focused, left side completely out of focus again.
@EMPIRETECANDY please arrange the exchange of the faulty cam. Thank you!

edit: had to zip the video in order to get it to upload.
OK, no problem, we get this camera replaced, I get 1-2 guys complaint this problem. This is the new model so need little time to make it perfect. Before IPC-HDW5231R-Z also have many problems, but all sorted. Just need some time.

Last edited:

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK, no problem, we get this camera replaced, I get 1-2 guys complaint this problem. This is the new model so need little time to make it perfect. Before IPC-HDW5231R-Z also have many problems, but all sorted. Just need some time.
For now I only checked one out of my five R-ZE. Seems I should also check each soon

Reactions: JS1

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You know this is actually sad for a big corporation such as Dahua. They shouldn't be using customers as their beta testers. Get the product and its firmware right before announcing it's for sale.

Me;tjuh

n3wb
Reaction score
A couple things I'm curious about:
- is there a difference in performance in rain/snow/mist (will the leds on bottom and top give more reflections than only having leds in the bottom?)
- is the placement of the leds better or worse for spiders (with the leds offset from the lens the spider might just miss it, having them in line with the lens gives them a perfect line to drop drown to to cover both ir's and the lens)
- is the ZE more affected by dust/dirt (maybe led refection's?) with the glass plate in front
- is the board/hardware/cpu the same (or maybe better?)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
- is there a difference in performance in rain/snow/mist (will the leds on bottom and top give more reflections than only having leds in the bottom?)
- is the placement of the leds better or worse for spiders (with the leds offset from the lens the spider might just miss it, having them in line with the lens gives them a perfect line to drop drown to to cover both ir's and the lens)
- is the ZE more affected by dust/dirt (maybe led refection's?) with the glass plate in front
I've noticed no differences.
I don't know about the last question.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
After heavy rain I recognized some reflections from the ir led on the glass. With separate glasses I didn’t had this issue.

Me;tjuh

n3wb
Reaction score
Last question (cpu/hardware) was more about if in any way the fps went up or bitrate went down, better compression or quality (which you might expect from a "revision") the hardware encoder could (should?) have been updated or something. Just searching a reason for which one to buy :) So far the old version is still winning for me, due to the color (I have white walls) and (in my opinion) better placement of the ir leds, the only pro for the ZE atm is the little bit wider view/zoom but thats not enough to convince me.

rspan

n3wb
Reaction score
How many "Tripwires" can be drawn with this camera?

I have an optimal environment to be able to use a low light camera and avoid IR and was hoping this camera is what I'm looking for however, now I'm hesitant. Are the two that have been reported to have focus issues a fluke or is it a sign there are hardware design and/or quality control issues with the new ZE's? IMHO, it appears to be hardware related. If it were software related a firmware update would fix it, replacement wouldn't be necessary.

CrazyKiller, if you were to test the other four that you have that would be good for you to catch it but, it may also help to serve as a good indicator of the how common the issue may be, if there is one. Maybe all of yours are good and it's nothing to worry about?

Are the " 'ol faithful " Z's still available?