Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

pls68

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, no problem, we get this camera replaced, I get 1-2 guys complaint this problem. This is the new model so need little time to make it perfect. Before IPC-HDW5231R-Z also have many problems, but all sorted. Just need some time.
Andy, may I assume you have sent replacement cams to everyone who has reported the issue? It is now one month after I first contacted you about the problem.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Andy, may I assume you have sent replacement cams to everyone who has reported the issue? It is now one month after I first contacted you about the problem.
Lol, you are the first guy i will send the replacement. No problem, i send you a email now.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We will send you a new one, and you just ship this new camera to HK, i need to get this send to dahua to check what problem with the cam.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
For this model we get enough stock now, and will bring the price same as the IPC-HDW5231R-Z.After 2 months waiting, just get 100pcs in....

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I checked all my other R-ZE's now. None of these has problems with the focus.
While checking my cams i recognized a gap between the top and bottom of the cams body. I thought a srew wasn't tighten well. When i was trying to tighten it, the gap become a little bigger. So i disassembled all three srews and had a look inside. One of the threads is not drilled into the bottom base. So the screw can't fit into and spreads the case.
I can not understand why this part was assembled at Dahua. One who assembles the parts should recognize this and use another part. This way the cam is not water resistant and i'll get at least dust on the inside of the glas which covers the lense.
@EMPIRETECANDY: do your guys quality control before shipping, or are the items ship out as they arrive from factory? Could you send me a spare part of the top base and i could exchange it myself, or will i have to send the whole cam to you, which would cause me shipping costs?
HDW5321R-ZE.jpeg

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I checked all my other R-ZE's now. None of these has problems with the focus.
While checking my cams i recognized a gap between the top and bottom of the cams body. I thought a srew wasn't tighten well. When i was trying to tighten it, the gap become a little bigger. So i disassembled all three srews and had a look inside. One of the threads is not drilled into the bottom base. So the screw can't fit into and spreads the case.
I can not understand why this part was assembled at Dahua. One who assembles the parts should recognize this and use another part. This way the cam is not water resistant and i'll get at least dust on the inside of the glas which covers the lense.
@EMPIRETECANDY: do your guys quality control before shipping, or are the items ship out as they arrive from factory? Could you send me a spare part of the top base and i could exchange it myself, or will i have to send the whole cam to you, which would cause me shipping costs?
View attachment 22898
Tested all cams before shipment , hardware sometimes hard to watch out. Can't make a full testing , or else need too much time . Will talk with dahua guy for get a replacement . You can send me some pics via email.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just saw the tracking update; mine will be delivered on Monday apparently; looking forward to it.:cool:
I'm just wondering what I should do.
A Samsung 128GB memory card is now €39 at a Dutch big box store; Media Markt; about €10+ cheaper than normal and other places. A 64GB card is €22.

A Dahua NVR4104-4KS2 is about €85 and the cheapest WD Purple Drive is about €50. That makes €135.
That's about the same as the camera itself and 4 - 6 times more expensive than a memory card.
I do have some old laptop HDD"s laying around in various capacities, but I'm not sure if that's a solid, reliable drive to used for this.

The NVR would give me several days/weeks of 24/7 recording, while if I would use the memory card I would only record on movement. That last approach has worked for me for months with my Hikvision camera.
I'm sure most of you would say spend the extra €€ and get the NVR, but to me it's seems a bit overkill. Recording on line crossing works great here and I'm not planning on getting more than 1 camera.

Last edited:

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The SD card and NVR are backups for each other. If someone swipes the NVR, you can get the video off the camera. If some one swipes the camera, the NVR will have the video. If they take both, you are having a bad day and you should have streamed to cloud storage ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Tested all cams before shipment , hardware sometimes hard to watch out. Can't make a full testing , or else need too much time . Will talk with dahua guy for get a replacement . You can send me some pics via email.
"Tested all cams before shipment". How exactly do you test them?

Last edited:

crc2004

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, was only one. But I don’t understand why one who assembles these parts is not able to recognize this.
They are probably factory seconds, they all probably have some defect. Did you compare the mac address on the box/camera label to the actual mac address that connected to your network?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The SD card and NVR are backups for each other. If someone swipes the NVR, you can get the video off the camera. If some one swipes the camera, the NVR will have the video. If they take both, you are having a bad day and you should have streamed to cloud storage ;)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If your network goes down, the NVR will automatically pull the stored data from the SD card when the network comes backup to fill in the gaps. That is if you have everything on good Backup UPS's, as you should.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
They are probably factory seconds, they all probably have some defect. Did you compare the mac address on the box/camera label to the actual mac address that connected to your network?
On my two "non E" versions received in June, there was a MAC address mismatch, but maybe that is just due to having a bunch of cameras out of the boxes and putting them back in the wrong boxes. I didn't see it as a big deal.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
The HDW5231R-Z and HDW5231R-ZE they are using the same firmware, i already told the dahua guys, they collect the messages, and if any guy have new bugs found, please report to me, and we work together to make this product perfect, Thanks.

Crazykiller

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On my two "non E" versions received in June, there was a MAC address mismatch, but maybe that is just due to having a bunch of cameras out of the boxes and putting them back in the wrong boxes. I didn't see it as a big deal.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As long as the sticker on the cam and box are the same the MAC should match. Theoretically…

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
"Tested all cams before shipment". How exactly do you test them?
Testing the pics, this is the most important things, sometimes we will get some cams can't power on from dahua, do this can make sure all cams sent are the good working ones, we ship 200-300pcs cams everyday , so can't make the fully testing.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just received mine, but I need to install the plug-in to see the video in Internet Explorer. But when I try to; I won't download.
It says it can't download the webplug.exe.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Just install Pale Moon web browser as everyone else here suggested :) Amazingly works

I just received mine, but I need to install the plug-in to see the video in Internet Explorer. But when I try to; I won't download.
It says it can't download the webplug.exe.