Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is a short video of the lens issue.
Video starts with the focus set by camera's autofocus option, left side out of focus.
I then reset focus by using the "restore all" button on the "zoom and focus page", you can see the lens moving, after that left side is out of focus.
Then I used the manual focus "near" button to get the left side into focus leaving the right side completely blurred.
Then I used the "autofocus" button, right side nicely focused, left side completely out of focus again.
@EMPIRETECANDY please arrange the exchange of the faulty cam. Thank you!

edit: had to zip the video in order to get it to upload.
I have this exact same issue with a camera. I emailed @EMPIRETECANDY pictures and he wants me to try a factory reset but I am sure this isnt going to fix it. I have to drive to the site to do it tomorrow (it's at my church). I have 2 others from the same batch from Andy that do not exhibit the problem. Attaching pictures for reference as well as one on the other side of the building that is in focus the entire frame. The edited picture shows green circle in focus / red circle out of focus / blue circle area of known same distance from camera which I think should definitely all be the same focus point.

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have this exact same issue with a camera. I emailed @EMPIRETECANDY pictures and he wants me to try a factory reset but I am sure this isnt going to fix it. I have to drive to the site to do it tomorrow (it's at my church). I have 2 others from the same batch from Andy that do not exhibit the problem. Attaching pictures for reference as well as one on the other side of the building that is in focus the entire frame. The edited picture shows green circle in focus / red circle out of focus / blue circle area of known same distance from camera which I think should definitely all be the same focus point.
You should be able to do this remotely, Go to "Settings>System>Default.
I'll lay odds, that won't fix the issue. That's pretty severe and the lens is either bad or didn't get mounted square with the sensor chip.
Or a workers fingerprint smudge on the lens at either end.

achalmersman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You should be able to do this remotely, Go to "Settings>System>Default.
I'll lay odds, that won't fix the issue. That's pretty severe and the lens is either bad or didn't get mounted square with the sensor chip.
Or a workers fingerprint smudge on the lens at either end.
Isolated network no internet connection. I am on site now and as you guessed it did not fix the problem. I also checked the lens and its clean. Can upload additional test video / snapshots later. I'll get in touch with Andy I'm sure he'll make it right. Getting ready to order 6-7 more cams from him anyway.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which firmware is the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE currently shipping with, the .16 or .14 version?

I'm trying to decide between the Z and ZE models, and I was leaning towards the ZE because of its greater focal range and more importantly slightly better lowlight performance (thank you for the comparisons looney2ns), but is it fair to say that the Z is more stable at this point in its lifecycle? I was wondering if other people think the ZE might be a little less stable right now, or if perhaps that's a bias I've developed from reading posts which are more likely to regard issues with the ZE rather than not?
They both use the same firmware. Both my ZE and Z are on .14, and are not having any issues at all. As far as shipping firmware, it's most likely now shipping with .16 or newer.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Isolated network no internet connection. I am on site now and as you guessed it did not fix the problem. I also checked the lens and its clean. Can upload additional test video / snapshots later. I'll get in touch with Andy I'm sure he'll make it right. Getting ready to order 6-7 more cams from him anyway.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
For others future reference, I also meant that in some firmware versions you don't have to take down the cam to do the factory reset, , as long as it is network reachable.

ccdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received my order for a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret from @EMPIRETECANDY this week. Excellent delivery as usual however I have the same issue with the focus being sharp on the right side and out of focus on the left side of the image. This especially visible when zoomed out all the way. I have contacted Andy and we are working through the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the issue or is the best option a replacement camera as others have found?

ccdub

n3wb
Reaction score
I just received my order for a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret from @EMPIRETECANDY this week. Excellent delivery as usual however I have the same issue with the focus being sharp on the right side and out of focus on the left side of the image. This especially visible when zoomed out all the way. I have contacted Andy and we are working through the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix the issue or is the best option a replacement camera as others have found?
Here is an example photo...

Attachments

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Dahua has some QC issue's to still work through.

triXter

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got my camera and was setting it up before mounting. I notice users talking about IVS and I see it being mentioned in the manual as well but I do not see it in my camera settings. Am I missing something?

System Version 2.460.0000.15.R, Build Date: 2017-09-07
WEB Version 3.2.1.492613
ONVIF Version 16.12(V2.3.1.458331)

Below is what I see when I go to the Event section of the camera. Am I missing something?
upload_2018-1-27_17-54-54.png

triXter

n3wb
Reaction score
Just got my camera and was setting it up before mounting. I notice users talking about IVS and I see it being mentioned in the manual as well but I do not see it in my camera settings. Am I missing something?

WEB Version 3.2.1.492613

Below is what I see when I go to the Event section of the camera. Am I missing something?
View attachment 26083
Crisis over :)

Had Smart Codec enabled. Turning that off resolved the issue and I can see IVS.

Reaction score
I just received two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy on Jan 23. I focused them on a world map and they seem to be no problems with sharpness on all four sides.

WEB Version 3.2.1.492613

I am running 15.R firmware, are there any problems with this version?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I just received two IPC-HDW5231R-ZE from Andy on Jan 23. I focused them on a world map and they seem to be no problems with sharpness on all four sides.

WEB Version 3.2.1.492613

I am running 15.R firmware, are there any problems with this version?
There also has a latest new version here.
New firmware for IPC-HXX5231XX Released on 201711

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
Ok after rereading this whole subject over again, I noticed people wondering what the big difference is and so far all I can tell comparing specs is the cmos.

IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive scan STARVIS™ CMOS
IPC-HDW5231R-Z 1/2.8” 2Megapixel progressive scan Exmor CMOS

It would seem after finding some videos on youtube comparing them both that the STARVIS is very much better, just like y'all have shown here.
So I am changing my build to the ZE model.

PapaBill

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Being Held Hostage in Central Calif By Democrats.
I know i am talking too damn much(my wife tells me that all the time), but being only 51 and disabled at home i have too much time on my hands just waiting away sitting on this pute evaluating security. :)
But I do like the info I get from this site and am trying to build a good system to protect my wife and I, and these camera will be perfect for my porch, so I have it covered from end to end and nobody will be able to sneak around these cams.
I am gonna use 4k bullets for the front of the house looking at my vehicles and on the side of my house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I know i am talking too damn much(my wife tells me that all the time), but being only 51 and disabled at home i have too much time on my hands just waiting away sitting on this pute evaluating security. :)
But I do like the info I get from this site and am trying to build a good system to protect my wife and I, and these camera will be perfect for my porch, so I have it covered from end to end and nobody will be able to sneak around these cams.
I am gonna use 4k bullets for the front of the house looking at my vehicles and on the side of my house.
Don't get caught up in the 4k marketing. More megapixels equals less performance after dark.
Majority of the time 2mp is just fine.