Review- EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 4mp Varifocal Turret

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No, you set up an IVS rule for animals only and don't have that one alert you and setup another IVS rule for person and vehicle and have it alert on that IVS rule.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
No, you set up an IVS rule for animals only and don't have that one alert you and setup another IVS rule for person and vehicle and have it alert on that IVS rule.
Gosh, I'm missing this. Sorry. I know how to set up multiple IVS rules in the camera with one using human and vehicle and a completely different on using animal only. If they're both active then if the animal only rule triggers overnight, how do I tell BI not to alert on that one?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Either keep track of what each IVS rule is named (IVS-1, IVS-2, etc.) or rename each rule in the camera GUI.

Then simply hit the + sign and in the Contains block put in the name of the IVS rule (IVS-1 or if you renamed it something else like animal) and then in the memo you put down what it is for.

1717965118735.png

As they populate, they will show up in the Listen for:

1717965153779.png

Then you go into the alerts tab and the stuff you put in the Memo field can be used for the required AI for which ones you want alerts for:

1717965192246.png

Use the "New zones/sources only (additive)" option if you are going to have several IVS rules being used in one camera and want to be able to do something with each rule separately.

1717965262665.png

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Either keep track of what each IVS rule is named (IVS-1, IVS-2, etc.) or rename each rule in the camera GUI.

Then simply hit the + sign and in the Contains block put in the name of the IVS rule (IVS-1 or if you renamed it something else like animal) and then in the memo you put down what it is for.

View attachment 196134

As they populate, they will show up in the Listen for:

View attachment 196135

Then you go into the alerts tab and the stuff you put in the Memo field can be used for the required AI for which ones you want alerts for:

View attachment 196136

Use the "New zones/sources only (additive)" option if you are going to have several IVS rules being used in one camera and want to be able to do something with each rule separately.

View attachment 196137
Thanks so much, I'll give this a try!

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

etc
etc
This is super helpful info! Thanks!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditto on the comparison ... and to be clear, the S3 version of the 5442/54IR - not the "original"
I don't think there is an "S3 upgrade" on the 4KT - right?
4kT seems to have faded into the background a bit. Good camera at it's most basic, but several issues - shallow dof and processor / memory? appear to be underpowered for the functions it has. I think for these reasons many have turned their attentions back to the 5442 / 541R series S3's.

As said above, it would be really helpful to have a side by side comparison of 4kT, 4mp S3 and 8mp S3. Where's Wildcat when you need him!!!

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine triggered on a bird on the ground. It would be good to find out a list of animals it detects.
If I were designing the algorithm there wouldn't be a list available. I'd approach it differently than CPAI does, where it compares the image against zillions of training images. I'd instead look to identify a few general attributes, like a head, body, and legs, moving in unison, only after the object has been discarded by human detection. If I understand CPAI correctly, it won't for instance declare a rock chuck to be an animal if it hasn't been trained with rock chuck images. Yet human intelligence would easily identify it as an animal without ever having seen one. Snakes and birds in flight would need different algorithms.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
If I were designing the algorithm there wouldn't be a list available. I'd approach it differently than CPAI does, where it compares the image against zillions of training images. I'd instead look to identify a few general attributes, like a head, body, and legs, moving in unison, only after the object has been discarded by human detection. If I understand CPAI correctly, it won't for instance declare a rock chuck to be an animal if it hasn't been trained with rock chuck images. Yet human intelligence would easily identify it as an animal without ever having seen one. Snakes and birds in flight would need different algorithms.
Anyone here really compared the quality of detection for people and vehicles between the onboard AI from the 54IR and CPAI? I'm really looking forward to not using CPAI. Testing is going well with the camera IVS. I'm trying to figure out if just drawing an intrusion box set for appears/cross for the FOV, would that be good enough? Do I really need that and tripwires? Seems like the fewer IVS rules the better. Thanks

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Anyone here really compared the quality of detection for people and vehicles between the onboard AI from the 54IR and CPAI? I'm really looking forward to not using CPAI. Testing is going well with the camera IVS. I'm trying to figure out if just drawing an intrusion box set for appears/cross for the FOV, would that be good enough? Do I really need that and tripwires? Seems like the fewer IVS rules the better. Thanks
In limited testing with a few s3 5442 cams running the "animal beta" , I'm getting similar triggering using only IVS (setting both tripwires and intrusion... figuring more is better) from BI Motion combined with CPAI (IPCam-combined, 2.6.5 CPAI). Both seem to trigger very well on Cars, People, Deer, Opossum, and once I dialed in the size limits in IVS, no squirrels and chipmunks. Right now it's a tie, but of course using IVS only means not needing to run motion and CPAI. Need some more time to see how any false triggering will appear... I do use separate IR lights so less chance of false triggers from spiders and rain. CPAI would occasionally trigger on a cat or other small animal I wasn't looking for, and I expect IVS will do the same. But over the last few days, any odd trigger from a shadow have all been from CPAI, not IVS, so there's that.

MTL4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So if my IVS rules have human, vehicle and animal as targets, I'll get critical alerts overnight for animals which I don't want.
I’d really like to be able to have the AI provide critical alerts for people and cars (we don’t get that many) yet still record lower level animal alerts so I can see them in the morning or at my leisure. We get all kinds (bears, moose, deer, fox, coyote and yes plenty of rogue dogs) so I want to know what’s going on before I throw the dog outside only to have her running for dear life. I’ll have to try the alert rules wittaj posted above and see if I can get them to work.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’d really like to be able to have the AI provide critical alerts for people and cars (we don’t get that many) yet still record lower level animal alerts so I can see them in the morning or at my leisure. We get all kinds (bears, moose, deer, fox, coyote and yes plenty of rogue dogs) so I want to know what’s going on before I throw the dog outside only to have her running for dear life. I’ll have to try the alert rules wittaj posted above and see if I can get them to work.
You can do that as I outlined.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You can do that as I outlined.
Yes, your instructions above are working great for me! Much appreciated. On-board AI is faster with notifications as well compared to CPAI. I have an Amcrest doorbell camera that doesn't have IVS rules, that's the only camera left of my 16 that will still be using CPAI to confirm person alerts.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just installed the firmware on 2 camera's. I can verify it against animal detection on one since it right above a 5231. The other is at the back.
Night here has begun so that's when I most see animals so now we'll wait...
We had several marters last night. Neither 5442 picked them up, the 5231 did.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, your instructions above are working great for me! Much appreciated. On-board AI is faster with notifications as well compared to CPAI. I have an Amcrest doorbell camera that doesn't have IVS rules, that's the only camera left of my 16 that will still be using CPAI to confirm person alerts.
That's awesome! That ha been my experience as well.

Thomas Kenny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, I finally got some amazon gift cards and I'm ready to order at last.

I'm replacing a IPC-HDW5231R () which is currently on a matching circular mount that hangs from the soffit (can't remember part number but from that PDF I would bet its on a PFA137).

Think I will be able to use my existing mount or did the size of these things change so that I need to buy a new mount at the same time?

edit
nvm, I see its compatible with my PFA 137 on the empirecandy site. Ordered.

Last edited:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Many use just tripwires. I use 2 trip wire rules simply to allow me to draw more wires. You also need to consider direction with trip wires as they're directional.

The function of CPAI is fitration not detection. The cameras software uses one of the trips, motion etc options or BI motion (one or the other) depending on which system you decide to use does the detection. CPAI just filters the detected objects to prevent false alarms / classify them. If you're happy without AI, then don't use it. The function is simply to stop false alarms as motion will be set off by any motion within the parameters and trips will be set off by anything that crosses. That can mean when eg you're looking soley for humans or a certain type of animal, a whole host of animals, wind moverment etc can trigger false alarms. Some cameras have built in AI which can do the filtering effectively.

Last edited: