Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I drilled a 25mm hole through the masonry, and can push the sealed CAT housing and power cable into it. Because the wall is rendered and painted it isn't a big problem if patching is required later. The low profile installation is less imposing.

Cheers, Steve
Perfect - that's exactly what I'll do. My wall isn't rendered or anything but I'll fill it with putty seal once the cables are in and then the camera will cover the hole anyway. I'll also make sure I seal around the camera rim on the outside...thanks for giving me the reassurance :)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just make sure you seal it really well. I'd use Duct Seal but I don't know if something like that is available "down under". It's a putty like substance used to seal electrical service entrance cables or conduits as an example. Use it in the hole as well as make a rope to go under the top 270 degrees or so of the camera base plate. Make sure no water can encroach. The beauty of products like Duct Seal is that it doesn't harden, even at low temperatures or with age so it can be pretty easily removed when necessary.
I didn't think of that but really good advice! Thank you I will do that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just make sure you seal it really well. I'd use Duct Seal but I don't know if something like that is available "down under". It's a putty like substance used to seal electrical service entrance cables or conduits as an example. Use it in the hole as well as make a rope to go under the top 270 degrees or so of the camera base plate. Make sure no water can encroach. The beauty of products like Duct Seal is that it doesn't harden, even at low temperatures or with age so it can be pretty easily removed when necessary.
Forgot to say, I'm actually in the UK so I wonder if anyone on here can advise of the best type of putty seal people here use...I've looked for duct seal but doesn't look like we get it here either.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have not tried this yet. I have a roll of butyl tape that's used to seal RV windows. To my untrained eye it looks pretty much like the same thing as coax seal except for being gray, and costs a whole lot less. I see also that Home Depot carries rolls of butyl tape for sealing metal roofs.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Forgot to say, I'm actually in the UK so I wonder if anyone on here can advise of the best type of putty seal people here use...I've looked for duct seal but doesn't look like we get it here either.
Butyl tape should be available at local caravan/motorhome parts suppliers.

I bought some sheets of closed-cell EVA foam and template items I want to seal onto it, and then cut it out to form a gasket. It is good practice to create a drainage slot on the bottom edge and align the baseplate notch with it. Once done, you place this gasket between the camera and the wall, then tighten down the fasteners. The foam forms an excellent, adhesive free seal.

Cheers, Steve

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
This is an International version available from Empire Tech. There's and Amazon store as well as being able to order, directly, from them in Hing Kng. Prices direct are usually lower. There is a thread, in the vendors section with email to contact Andy. He does support the cameras and they are upgrade-able firmware.

EmpireTech Andy

foghat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is an International version available from Empire Tech. There's and Amazon store as well as being able to order, directly, from them in Hing Kng. Prices direct are usually lower. There is a thread, in the vendors section with email to contact Andy. He does support the cameras and they are upgrade-able firmware.

EmpireTech Andy
Thx. I am aware of Andy. Have actually been in touch with him in the past. I may have an opportunity to buy locally (in Canada) from a supplier who typically only sells to installers. Trying to get pricing from them to see how it compares to Andy. Just need to figure out the model number of the equivalent US version. Browsing the US site, It is not terribly obvious if there even is one.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Can't help you there. International to US model numbers is above my pay grade, although you could ask Andy. He may know.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This camera has some update, will test firstly and release here soon.

. Fix the problem that the face algorithm fails when there is a lot of screen targets;
2. Remove the atmospheric light intensity mode option in the fog;
3. Fix the abnormal problem of noise filtering algorithm;

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just need to figure out the model number of the equivalent US version. Browsing the US site, It is not terribly obvious if there even is one.
I don't see one. If you search for "NIGHT COLOR" (on the US site) and exclude the HDCVI models, I only see a bullet and a dome model .. no turret. Just a wild-ass-guess, but it looks like the US site has the ePoE versions which IIRC were somewhat relatively recently added to the International site (the -ASE models). There is an -ASE turret model on the International site, but not sure if its available to order yet, which may be why it's not available on the US site... Or it could be like many other International models that were/are super popular here that Dahua US never made available.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an installer but for most things, in the UK people use gun mastics. This is what I used around my own external and Sat cabling. You can get it in brown, white and clear although usually for brickwork most people choose brown with clear the next choice. White is best suited to where cables pass through white upvc. My only advice would be avoid the cheap acrylic stuff - it can dry out and crack. A better choice would be a good quality exterior silicone mastic. Something like this would probably be a good choice:

Full range of mastics here: Weatherproof Sealants | Sealants | Screwfix.com

If you need a mastic gun, a cheap frame one will do the job: P C Cox Easiflow Gun

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem with mastics is that they are more like a glue. There has to be some British equivalent of Duct Seal without going broke on shipping some from the US. Duct Seal is pretty dense/heavy.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
They're not all like glue. They certainly stick well to brick but you want that for a good seal, but I'd liken most non adhesive based as more like a liquid rubber. I've pulled many a line of mastic away from brick before.

It may be possible there's a duct seal in the UK. I haven't seen it nor have I seen any tradesmen use it in a long time. 99% of window fitters, plumbers and general tradesmen I've seen used mastic. The last time I saw any kind of putty was about 20 years ago when windows were still single glazed panes of glass in wooden beaded frames. You can still obtain glazing putty. Not sure it would be my first choice for a cable seal though due to the potential movement, that's where silicone's and artificial rubbers come into their own.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Duct Seal is putty like but it is not putty in a traditional sense. It's more like a cross between a putty and a caulk. It does adhere but it also releases quite well and is extremely conformal so it will even penetrate into the pores of brick, mortar and concrete.

Barboots

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
A better choice would be a good quality exterior silicone mastic. Something like this would probably be a good choice:

Is there such a thing as "silicone mastic"? As far as my experience with gunnable sealants and adhesive sealants... it's either silicone, or mastic or polyurethane. I've never seen a combination.

Cheers, Steve

Reaction score
I've spent some time looking for an answer but I keep coming up dry. Is there a smaller junction box for this? The PFA130-E works just fine but it's still a larger diameter then the cameras base. If there isn't, I'll deal with it.