Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

Reaction score
VBR issues can't be resolved without FW update. I have also inquired to Andy about newest FW available from Dahua (V2.800.0000000.12.R.200319 ) and why it can't be installed on this camera - IPC-HX4XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.11.R.191230

Two workarounds are: a) use CBR or b) set higher VBR setting until you get desired actual bitrate.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Very happy with the 5442 series. I’m running 4 of the bullet style, both 3.6 and 6mm and installed a dozen for a friend, a mix of the turrets as well as varifocal bullets.

No problem with image quality with the right settings. Nothing close for the money.

nhs128

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very happy with the 5442 series. I’m running 4 of the bullet style, both 3.6 and 6mm and installed a dozen for a friend, a mix of the turrets as well as varifocal bullets.

No problem with image quality with the right settings. Nothing close for the money.
Thanks for the response!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was planning to purchase a few of these to upgrade from 5231r-ze, but after reading a lot of posts here, I'm not so sure. Are those of you that are seeing these quality concerns able to resolve them and happy with the choice? I'm still watching this thread, but it seems like I may want to wait a bit longer.
I've replaced two of my 5231s with them and am happy, even using h.264/VBR at the camera suggested bit rate. If they came out with a varifocal turret model, I would be replacing the rest of my 5231s...

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My gut feel is that they aren't enough better to swap out, not sure which I would buy new at this point other than look hard at options with simultaneous Vehicle and Face detection to complement BI.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
As the 5231 series was the camera to beat 3-4 years ago, the 5442 series is now.

DwightMorgan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As the 5231 series was the camera to beat 3-4 years ago, the 5442 series is now.
I am running them side by side, they are growing on me a bit but unless you go with external IR I don't think they do as well at night without any other light sources. Combine that with the not have varifocal, not sure (specs say the 5442 is better by 1m).

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I was too, thats why I replaced my 5231's with them. I use the bullet style primarily and they do have a VF version.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
For anyone not acroos both threads, it appears there may be an emerging issue with this camera:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Matter of perspective. 3 users now reporting issues. I'd say that poentially indicates a quality control problem. That said, 3 out of how many? Either way, needs addressing. I wouldn't personally want to buy one if I was seeing the reports of failures we're currecntly seeing. 1 person, yes unlucky. 3 people with the same failure, hmm....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Matter of perspective. 3 users now reporting issues. I'd say that poentially indicates a quality control problem. That said, 3 out of how many? Either way, needs addressing. I wouldn't personally want to buy one if I was seeing the reports of failures we're currecntly seeing. 1 person, yes unlucky. 3 people with the same failure, hmm....
Exactly, you dont know how many. Do you know if the users here have purchased 10 or 2000 cameras? If you think 3 cameras reporting issues "needs addressing" without knowing how many are sold you dont know anything about quality control. There are many reasons cameras can fail or appear to be failing, most are caused by the end user. Have you purchased a single ip camera yet or are you still waiting for a camera that sells 10000 units and not a single user reports an error?

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I agree Fender although 3 reports of the same fault on 1 forum does give me some cause for concern given the small sample of owners.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I just got this cam from Andy today and installed it on the house. Very happy to report I don't need a plugin to view it live in Chrome! So nice to just open the camera's web interface up and see video without a plugin. Finally Dahua is making that change! Camera looks beautiful in the day so far. Running 1080 H.265 20fps VBR at max and I'm only seeing about ~2Mbps with those settings during the day time. We will see how it performs at nighttime with some shutter tweaks I need to do. I had to tone WDR down a bit from the default of 50 since it was washing out images with it at the default setting. Anyway, happy so far.

Thanks Andy!

20200518_190802.png

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree Fender although 3 reports of the same fault on 1 forum does give me some cause for concern given the small sample of owners.
Again it doesn’t matter how many forums it’s mentioned on it matters how many were sold and how many problem cameras there are. Would 10 failures out of 1000 cameras concern you? I’m not sure why you have to lie about the small sample of owners. You don’t know how many owners there are. If you actually took the time to read the form you would see just based on posts alone there are hundreds of these in service because many users have multiple cameras of the same model. Furthermore you understand that this is a user forum where people generally post when they have issues with a camera so you are not getting many post saying hey I bought this camera it’s great. Don’t make false allegations without data.

If so you could never purchase any ip camera. It would not surprise me that user error outside issue like a power surge, network issue would occur in a small fraction of those installs. Even if these three cameras were defective from dahua you don’t have the numbers of cameras sold to come to any conclusions. Surprisingly you don’t even own any ip camera and have never installed one yet feel the need to voice false concern pretending to be knowledgeable.

Last edited:

8urt0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Again it doesn’t matter how many forums it’s mentioned on it matters how many were sold and how many problem cameras there are. Would 10 failures out of 1000 cameras concern you? I’m not sure why you have to lie about the small sample of owners. You don’t know how many owners there are. If you actually took the time to read the form you would see just based on posts alone there are hundreds of these in service because many users have multiple cameras of the same model. Furthermore you understand that this is a user forum where people generally post when they have issues with a camera so you are not getting many post saying hey I bought this camera it’s great. Don’t make false allegations without data.

If so you could never purchase any ip camera. It would not surprise me that user error outside issue like a power surge, network issue would occur in a small fraction of those installs. Even if these three cameras were defective from dahua you don’t have the numbers of cameras sold to come to any conclusions. Surprisingly you don’t even own any ip camera and have never installed one yet feel the need to voice false concern pretending to be knowledgeable.
that’s quite harsh for a community forum surely he is entitled to his opinion of feeling there is an issue as a consumer he is entitled to his opinion surely? Honestly I do agree owning several of these I have had no issues however that also is just my opinion.

tward392

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is it better to get the camera off of Amazon or Aliexpress? It's cheaper on AliExpress.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it better to get the camera off of Amazon or Aliexpress? It's cheaper on AliExpress.
Right now with the Covid19 mess, you MIGHT get it quicker from Amazon. Some have reported the normal 3-5 day delivery from china.
Cheapest is to email @EMPIRETECANDY directly and have him send you an invoice you can pay with paypal.