Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does this camera come with a wall mount? Or can it be mounted as is?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
comes with its base which you can either mount directly to wood etc or buy a junction box (the way I prefer to mount) and mount the base to that to hide wires and have less impact when installing (only need cat 6 cable drill hole etc)

Does this camera come with a wall mount? Or can it be mounted as is?

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
comes with its base which you can either mount directly to wood etc or buy a junction box (the way I prefer to mount) and mount the base to that to hide wires and have less impact when installing (only need cat 6 cable drill hole etc)
Thanks!

MikeyTech8

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Mikey, the initial test FW has not solved the issue but the next version I believe (@EMPIRETECANDY is kindly working this with Dahua) will fix this and may also feature the AE compensation slider that is currently not in this FW. Hoping the next iteration will fix the Auto IR piece, currently I'm dialing the image in manually to achieve as much of it as I can. Great camera still and great picture.
Sweet. Thanks for the honesty :D.

Chura

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
  • The 5442 model is only available in fixed lens turret but is available in varifocal in bullet & dome. Can be a pro or con depending on your situation therefore marking neutral
i'm sorry for asking, but what are the downside of bullets here? I saw that Spider might e a thing. is it still that ?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Theoretically they're more susceptible to spider webs because the IR lights are both Above and Below the lens. In practice, not so much. I rarely clean webs from mine, and I have a bunch.

I beleive bullets have better depth of field.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
i'm sorry for asking, but what are the downside of bullets here? I saw that Spider might e a thing. is it still that ?
Also, they offer a lot of leverage that could be used by a vandal if they're within reach. I had a guy attempt to tear down a dome camera this year.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Like bigredfish I have very few problems with spiders and my bullet cameras. Maybe in some parts of the country the situation could be different.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I saw this Dahua dome camera with the 1/1.8" sensor. Looks like it has the right features to be a good camera. DH-IPC-HDBW7442HN-ZFR

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley thats the dome version of the 7442 I reviewed. Just be careful as FR on the end means Face Recognition and if you get that version (rather than Z or Z4) then you trade It for ANPR, I.e gain FR lose ANPR

HTH

I saw this Dahua dome camera with the 1/1.8" sensor. Looks like it has the right features to be a good camera. DH-IPC-HDBW7442HN-ZFR

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was convinced I'd be buying turrets for my first set of cams having lurked here for a while and read all about the 5231 cams. But having done some more detailed research looking closely at sensor sizes, MP and lens types I realised the best cam, at least for a couple of my intended locations was actually the 5442 bullet that this thread is about. When I say best I mean it had all the paper specs and real-world performance I felt would make it most effective. It often seems to come down to low light performance - that is where the cameras which on paper have "lower" specs can perform better, hence the "don't go chasing MPs" mantra often mentioned on here. But recently, it looks like low light performance from some of the 4MP cams is getting close to, if not equal or even better than the 2MP Starlights which have been so popular to date. I guess by that logic we might start seeing similar improvements over time in the 5MP and even 4K 8MP cams...

The only thing this cam doesn't have is the turret form factor but I think performance has to take precedence given that when it is called into action, that is what will matter. Plus, as others have said, it seems the spider web issue isn't as bad as it can come across sometimes...

Only other thing I would say is not to forget the aesthetic difference between bullets and turrets. You could argue bullets have a lower WAF and don't blend in as well as turrets but because they are so much more obvious and in your face, that may also be an advantage if they will be in public view. For me again, it turned out that actually not only was this bullet the best camera for the location but because the location was public I'd rather they be obvious as a deterrent. Round the back I am debating between the T5442 4MP fixed lens turret and 2231 2MP turret but I will use the varifocal bullets to mess with focal lengths at the back of my house to see if a fixed lens would work, before I make my decision. So I'll end up with a combination of form factors, sensors and lens types based on what I think would work best in each location.

Just my newbie thoughts and observations having done a lot of reading on here recently...:)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Arjun

I wanted to take some time with this reply as to be fair this is an apples to oranges comparison due to focal length, optics, sensor, SOC, ram differences etc.

So, with that said, I would have to caveat that as LPR requires a nice tight image to ensure successful capture (and that in most installs you will have an overwatch cam for wider details of the same area), that for this comparison we must assume the image view is identical (same distance, height, angle to target which really are critical) and achieved by mounting the cams in 2 different places to accomplish that. I will also assume that Z4 and Z12 have been set to attain the same proportion of vehicle details within their respective FOV. For me personally I look to have the image on the LPR tight enough (in some situations) to where the vehicle is at least 30,40,50% of the image. This is even more critical if you cannot control or install in an area with a choke point.

If that’s the case then the 4MP (B5442) takes the edge for detail primarily due to pixel density and sensor performance. However the 5241 and 5231 are absolutely viable, no slouches and gain IR distance over the x442 and therefore allow for more IR on target at night in that same situation. This can be a necessity depending on the lighting within a given capture zone. That’s not to say either would fail at its task (far from it) BUT the 5231 followed by 5241 would allow for a little extra IR if needed. In some situations I’ve had to run the 5231 / 5241s at close to full zoom (greater than 90%) and therefore that extra IR distance has been critical.

The 5231 is a rock solid powerhouse in the Z12 with 2 known issues (1, softer focus beyond 80% zoom and 2, tendency to shift focus), even with those it still performs solid LPR for me. The 5241 (that replaces it) does not have these issues BUT is a more ‘processed’ image (can add noise) so as long as you cater for that when dialing in the shot, you’ll get an elevated image over the 5231.

Now, lets tackle AI as that is a feature of the 5241 and the B5442 (both Pro AI) but NOT the 5231. Lets be honest, in any situation where you need to review captures, you want to have a slick workflow. Reviewing hours of footage is painful and costly (I know a number of us have done this over the years). That is where AI steps in. Thats not to say its perfect yet OR that there won’t be situations where you do have to manually review BUT it does (with vehicle filtering enabled) allow you to know that the capture you are looking at has a 90%+ chance of being a vehicle which, if configured as an LPR cam means, opportunity for a plate.

So in summary, all 3 cams (including the 5231 still) are amazing for this type of work. It all comes down to install location and your ability to dial the shot in for the required end results, plate captures. As myself, @bigredfish and others have stated for some time, LPR captures are an art form, get it right, you’ll be amazed at how well these cams detect, get it wrong and you’ll be dialing in shots night after night. Hopefully, in the posts we’ve all shared in the LPR forum, we tackle those settings / situations to help others get there quicker.

The Z12 variants afford you a flexibility in shot that the Z4’s come closer to for sure but in some situations you still need more distance or just want a tighter image, in which case the 5241 has your back. If you can get a tight image through install location allowing distance to target to be optimal for the Z4’s then absolutely go that way as you won’t be disappointed with the night performance of the 1/1.8” 4MP sensor. For the price of the B5442-Z4 you really get a lot for the money.

If you want my advice on an upgrade pick (and your budget allows it) then I would recommend the 7442-Z4 as that really takes this up another notch giving you plate and vehicle metadata which again assist greatly in search and review situations especially with an AI NVR in the mix. Hopefully the Pro AI & Ultra AI series may see a Z12 variant, which if they did, I know I would be buying a number of those units :) This may not be possible due to the current lens to sensor pairing options and Dahua’s focus BUT I know Andy (@EMPIRETECANDY) is feeding back the requests, THANK YOU ANDY !

In the mean time, the B5442-Z4, 7442-Z4, 5231-Z12 (no longer available), 5241-Z12 offer amazing options for LPR (day & night) BUT again remember it all comes down to distance, height, angle to target and can be elevated further using choke points, overwatch cams and carefully dialing in your shot.

Apologies to all for the long post, hope this helps you and others.

Quick cam details for those mentioned in this reply for reference:

5231-Z12
1/2.8”
5.3mm to 64mm
F1.4
0.006 @ f1.4
IR to 656’
256 Ram / 32 Rom

5241-Z12
1/2.8”
5.3mm to 64mm
F1.5
0.002 @ f1.5
IR to 492’
512 Ram / 128 Rom

B5442-Z4
1/1.8”
8mm to 32mm
F1.6
0.002 @ f1.6
IR to 394’
1GB Ram / 128MB Rom

7442-Z4
1/1.8”
8mm to 32mm
F1.6
0.001 @ f1.6
IR to 393’
4GB Ram / 2GB Rom

How does the IPC-B5442E-Z4E (range up 32mm) compare with the 5241-Z12 (range up to 60mm, mostly used for LPR). I know the Z4E has the better sensor, but for nighttime, in your opinion, what would you opt for?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I received 3 more of these cameras from Andy today. As I have stated before they are IMHO the best camera out there for the money. Here is a side by side comparison of one of them. Dahua 4MP on top and the Hikvision below. Look across the street on the curb house numbers. The IR light shining off the wall is from my added license plate cameras. :)

Camera 5B Dahua 4MP.jpgCamera 5B Hikvision.jpg

Last edited:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is one more. It replaced a 2MP Hikvision camera that also has a 1/1.8" sensor. The 4MP Dahua is better. I do not have a picture with the Hikvision for comparison. However I attached a 2MP Dahua picture with the 1/2.8" sensor from 2 cameras ago at this location.

Camera 4B Dahua 4MP.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley, I told you that you would love them ;)

Here is one more. It replaced a 2MP Hikvision camera that also has a 1/1.8" sensor. The 4MP Dahua is better. I do not have a picture with the Hikvision for comparison. However I attached a 2MP Dahua with the 1/2.8" sensor from 2 cameras ago at this location.

View attachment 50995

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
@Parley, I told you that you would love them ;)
I do love them. :) I will most likely buy 4 more of these with two being the longer range version as I upgrade my cameras. I was thinking of keeping the two 2MP Hikvision cameras with the 1/1.8" sensor as they are not bad. However, these cameras are that good. Then I will need to upgrade 3 PTZ cameras with this newer 1/1.8" sensor and in 4MP.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I do love them. :) I will most likely buy 4 more of these with two being the longer range version as I upgrade my cameras. I was thinking of keeping the two 2MP Hikvision cameras with the 1/1.8" sensor as they are not bad. However, these cameras are that good. Then I will need to upgrade 3 PTZ cameras with this newer 1/1.8" sensor and in 4MP.
4mp SD5A is not good, 49XX i still not test on it.