Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Are those the 3241’s ?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yup! I have a few of the 2231s and didn't realize those are now discontinued. I wanted audio too and these fit the bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for this review looney....just picked one up from Andy, looking forward to putting it to work.:thumb: my 8 port switch is filling up fast..

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Has this model reached its EOL? Or just unavailable due to COVID?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Has this model reached its EOL? Or just unavailable due to COVID?
My understanding is this is the current preferred 2mp model and is still in production. I ordered four from Andy a few weeks back and have four more on the way now. Although this time they are shipped by FedEx instead of DHL and the tracking updates are goofy.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My understanding is this is the current preferred 2mp model and is still in production. I ordered four from Andy a few weeks back and have four more on the way now. Although this time they are shipped by FedEx instead of DHL and the tracking updates are goofy.

Wacky Trackin' - mine seems like FedEx sent it to Alaska then back to Taiwan, then Fla.
This cam has a nice crisp video, beating my two 5231's .. Just went live last night.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Wacky Trackin' - mine seems like FedEx sent it to Alaska then back to Taiwan, then Fla.
This cam has a nice crisp video, beating my two 5231's .. Just went live last night.
Mine just arrived today! I'll have 8 of these now!

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mine just arrived today! I'll have 8 of these now!
Wow, 8..Nice. I just have 1.
Using it to get Familiar with Setups and Exposures and Focus. I then I will use it as a portable Cam to figure out where and what focus I will need for other Cam placements.
Using the Bucket and the 10ft - 2x4 as my base to hold the cam.( as listed in other thread )

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

CritterCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m a rookie to all this fun stuff and after trying a Lorex system (I really didn’t need another hobby and was hoping that turn-key would work for me), I returned it and decided I really wanted to have more control & options than what they provided. So, based on advice from this forum (thanks everyone!) and what seemed like 1,000's of hours of reading, I got a dedicated i7-6700 that is now running Blue Iris 5 and got my first camera, a IPC-T3241T-ZAS, from Andy (thanks Andy!) and started playing. The learning curve is turning this into a bigger hobby than I planned, but such is life. As an aside, I’m not interested in the home security angle of this stuff, I’m more interested in seeing the wildlife that roams our land.

I must be blind, but I have not been able to find a solution to a problem I’ve had and was hoping that someone here could help: the web site for my camera says I’m recording at 1920x1080, but BI says all it knows about is 856x480. BI claims that it gives me whatever the camera is giving it, but the camera is claiming a much higher resolution. Any ideas about what I either mis-read, or just missed reading? Did I miss some setting for this camera, or perhaps I need a FW update (I'm using V2.800.0000000.14.R, Build Date: 2020-06-12 )?

Thanks!

CritterCam

n3wb
Reaction score
Solved it - silly pilot error, BI detected that make was simply ONVIF. Once I changed that to Duhua, all seems to be behaving the way I thought. Thanks.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Normally if you use the Find/Inspect button in BI when adding a camera (and give it a username/password that has ONVIF admin rights) it will set everything up properly in BI but leaves the model as Generic.

If you’re able to zoom/hear audio within BI, it sounds like it got everything setup correctly.

856x480 sounds like BI may have been looking at a sub-stream instead of the main stream.

CritterCam

n3wb
Reaction score
I used the Find/Inspect button in BI and ended up with the Generic model. Zoom/audio worked, just not at the best video resolution. Changing the model finally gave me the full resolution.

I thought about the sub-stream angle, but the camera claims that the sub-stream is 704x480.

Things seem to be working at the moment. Thanks for offering assistance!

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if I have a wrong setting, possibly a bad camera, or I'm just just expecting too much. I recently ordered a 3241's to replace one of my 5231's which quit working after 3 years and I've not been entirely happy with it. It doesn't seem to stay in focus all the time... it will be in focus and then later when I view a live feed it will for a few seconds be out of focus then try to refocus. I have tried different cables and upgraded to the latest firmware... never had any focus issues with any of my 5231's so not used to this kind of behavior.

Could this be some setting I don't have right even though I copied all my 5231 settings over to the 3241? Maybe something else?

On an entirely different note (I think) below is a BI snapshot of my 3241 in focus... please disregard the fact my camera isn't level or may not be positioned correctly as far as the roof line since this isn't a finished install. Am I expecting too much to think I should have a higher resolution picture with live feeds from this particular camera or is this still a focus thing?

2020-09-18_090310.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Looks fine to me as a backyard overview camera. You may want to move it as close to the edge of that wave as possible to minimize IR reflection.

Don’t know about it going in and out of focus.... is it happening only when it switches from day to night or vice verse?

mike2874

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks nice to know that is the expected picture for that camera.

It goes in and out of focus during daylight hours not sure what it does at night... I can’t tell you how often it happens during the day just that it does.