Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like the red triangle warning we got on some of the 5442’s. Does the camera still work? On the 5442 it did but it broke IVS...

ridlees

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am quite interested in active deterrence function of this camera. Would it be possible to control when it is active from a smart home platform e.g. home assistant or smart things?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I am quite interested in active deterrence function of this camera. Would it be possible to control when it is active from a smart home platform e.g. home assistant or smart things?
It would, but you would have to construct that functionality yourself. I've been meaning to for a while but it hasn't been important enough :) Here's the principle though:

The Active Deterrence functionality is part of IVS. When you create a new IVS rule, you can enable it over the API with

(or Enable=false to disable)

From my tests it seems like [0][2] is the first VideoAnalyseRule you create yourself, [0][0] and [0][1] are internal ones (HeatMap1 and NumberStat1)

I came as far as creating a Python script to just connect and list the names of the all VideoAnalyseRules present. The next obvious step would be to have the script enable/disable one or more rules and then have something (e.g. the smart home platform) call the script based on a trigger. Somewhere around that I realised I didn't need that as much as I originally thought, so the project was left for a rainy day :) I can share the code though, if you like!

ridlees

n3wb
Reaction score
It would, but you would have to construct that functionality yourself. I've been meaning to for a while but it hasn't been important enough :) Here's the principle though:

The Active Deterrence functionality is part of IVS. When you create a new IVS rule, you can enable it over the API with

From my tests it seems like [0][2] is the first VideoAnalyseRule you create yourself, [0][0] and [0][1] are internal ones (HeatMap1 and NumberStat1)

I came as far as creating a Python script to just connect and list the names of the all VideoAnalyseRules present. The next obvious step would be to have the script enable/disable one or more rules and then have something (e.g. the smart home platform) call the script based on a trigger. Somewhere around that I realised I didn't need that as much as I originally thought, so the project was left for a rainy day :) I can share the code though, if you like!
Awesome! This is exactly what I was looking for

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this camera as H.265 decoding?

I recently made the change and after a few minutes the picture starts getting blurry. I have tried low to high bitrates and it happens regardless. If I go back to H.264, the picture remains good. But bitrate shouldn't impact live viewing?

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this camera as H.265 decoding?

I recently made the change and after a few minutes the picture starts getting blurry. I have tried low to high bitrates and it happens regardless. If I go back to H.264, the picture remains good. But bitrate shouldn't impact live viewing?
I use H.265 for both Main and Sub stream. Main in 1920x1080 at 25 FPS, VBR quality 6, Max Bit Rate 5888 Kb/s and I Frame Interval 50. Sub stream 704x576 at 25 FPS, VBR quality 6, Max Bit Rate 1280 Kb/s and I Frame Interval 50. Both work well, at least in recent firmware updates (starting 10R I think). Just like with my previous Dahua cam, finding a video setting that didn't strain the camera CPU to intermittent unresponsiveness required a lot of tweaking. The way it works now I don't dare to touch anything in video settings. I fiddled around with Backlight for a while and that was obviously too much for the camera to handle, it started getting unresponsive again: visible in ping rates that should normally be 5-10 ms, but went 200-500 ms under too much load.

I don't know much about Dahua cameras but those I've got seem to have been equipped with a CPU that just barely handles the video settings of an average user, or something like that. If you push it too far with the video, it all breaks down, even though the interface allows for settings that are obviously not compatible with the camera's (lack of) computing power. Very annoying, but as soon as you learn that whatever Dahua claims in the spec sheets may or may not be true, you at least aren't surprised. If it hadn't been for this forum, I wouldn't touch a Dahua camera I think. That's what you get for being price sensitive :cool:

Fletchpenn

n3wb
Reaction score
Good Afternoon Everyone.
I have one of these excellent IPC-T5241H-AS-PV cameras from Andy and need it do several things with my Blue Iris setup.
Essentially I want it to replace a Ring Doorbell system using BI/ HomeSeer HS3/HS4 and some of my custom software using C#.NET/ VB.NET.
I have read thru this thread and the wikis. Lots of good info. Thanks for the nice forum and group!

First, where can i find the newest firmware for this camera?

Edit:
I see two bin files in Andy's forum. Will the newer "logo version" work on my Loryta non-logo camera?
General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.11.R.191230.bin
DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.12.R.200319.bin

Second, does anyone have two way audio with this camera working using BI, or the BI mobile apps, or U13?

Third, anyone know how to configure the Camera's DIO input to link into Blue Iris?
I want to wire the DIO input to a normal doorbell button and send an alert to HomeSeer from BlueIris.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

This is working great from Domoticz home automation. thx
Is there also a way to call and play one of the audio files via a http call?

Can't find this in the API document... :(

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is working great from Domoticz home automation. thx
Is there also a way to call and play one of the audio files via a http call?

Can't find this in the API document... :(
What does your Domoticz trigger look like? I’m running Domoticz too, so I’m curious to know.

And no, I don’t know of an API call to play sound file but I’ve been looking for it too. Based on how other people have reverse engineered the API, you might be able to find out by checking what traffic the camera web interface sends when you’re pressing the alarm button on the Live View screen. I haven’t cared to go that deep :rolleyes:

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have made two bash scripts with the following command to turn the first IVS rule to on:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
curl --digest -g 'http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoAnalyseRule[0][2].Enable=true'
and to turn off:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
curl --digest -g 'http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoAnalyseRule[0][2].Enable=false'
in domoticz I created a virtual switch and connected these two scripts for turning off and on.
Yeah, i could capture the switch in de webpage of the camera. If I'll find the correct call I post it in this tread. Thanks for the push in the right direction.

EDIT: I didn't get to track the correct API call to trigger the sound file

But I saw something usefull for my setup:
I have a tripwire active which send me an email (via email setup (Network->smtp)) with a snapshot. But if it's triggered mutiple times I get also multiple snapshots of the same trigger. In the old software there was this "interval" field in the SMTP setting but it's gone with the newer software releases.

But with help of the API call:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=Email"
table.Email.SendInterv=0
There is still the "interval" setting, which is not listed in de WebGui.

You can change this with the "setConfig" command:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Email.SendInterv=5"
OK
Now the snapshot is send one time in a 5 seconds interval rate. :)

I have found the "alarm.wav" file with the HTTP API call. Now find a way to trigger it....
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=Sound"
table.Sound.AlarmSound=/usr/data/audiofiles/audios/alarm.wav
table.Sound.AlarmSoundDuration=10
table.Sound.AlarmSoundVolume=100
table.Sound.SilentMode=false
table.Sound.SoundTipsPlayEnable=true

Last edited:

marigo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@marigo if you check section 4.3.3 Post Audio Stream in the attached API documentation, you might be able to play an arbitrary sound stream. I haven’t tried this and it’s way too complicated for me to spend time on, but if you like a challenge :)
Thank you for this new version of the HTTP API calls. I will check the section you mentioned. Hope to find the correct syntax.

EDIT:
Found it! It's in section 14.1.1 "Control White Light or Speaker"

To enable the white light from a HTTP API call use the following command:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/coaxialControlIO.cgi?action=control&channel=1&info[0].Type=1&info[0].IO=1"
To check if the white light is on:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/coaxialControlIO.cgi?action=getStatus&channel=1"
status.status.Speaker=Off
status.status.WhiteLight=On
To turn off the white light:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/coaxialControlIO.cgi?action=control&channel=1&info[0].Type=1&info[0].IO=0"
To play the sound file selected in de webgui:
Code:
curl --digest -g "http://user:password@10.0.103.208/cgi-bin/coaxialControlIO.cgi?action=control&channel=1&info[0].Type=2&info[0].IO=1"
Next task is to find out how to change the sound file without doing it in the webgui.

Last edited:

Sunny7

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first Dahua cam with LED lights. Dumb question but how do you turn on the LED lights and use them as ordinary motion lights? I'm on version General_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.800.0000000.11.R.191230. I'm still playing around with this camera but I've tried setting up the IVS for tripwire but so far all it does it blink on and off for a few seconds along with the alarm. To be honest, I'd rather have the alarm off but there's so many alarm options that I can't tell which alarm its referring to(the NVR, audio jacks, the camera itself, etc.). Basically I just want the LED lights to turn on for a few seconds then turn off whenever there's motion or tripwire.

I probably should have played with this before I went ahead and put them up, now neighbors are wondering what all that noise is and why the hell I'm walking around at night lol.

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The most thing I have ever wanted from these cameras is to turn tripwire off or on without having to log into the webgui all the time. Either by mobile device or pc is that easy enough to do?

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
The most thing I have ever wanted from these cameras is to turn tripwire off or on without having to log into the webgui all the time. Either by mobile device or pc is that easy enough to do?
Why do you want to turn the tripwire on and off?

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why do you want to turn the tripwire on and off?
I mean IVS off, because I have a garden and back door alarmed at 11:00 pm normally bedtime but sometimes I stay up later and when I go into the garden I need to turn both off in the gui through internet explorer otherwise I wake up all the neighbours with 10x siren alarms.

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
I mean IVS off, because I have a garden and back door alarmed at 11:00 pm normally bedtime but sometimes I stay up later and when I go into the garden I need to turn both off in the gui through internet explorer otherwise I wake up all the neighbours with 10x siren alarms.
The reason I ask is I had a similar issue. I now use my Amazon Alexa with a smart plug to disable the camera at such times. Good thing is I can switch the plug off from mobile app or just say "Alexa, cameras off".

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's definitely one way of doing it. I am hoping that somebody with some api coding knowledge can work it out I have very little knowledge of it. Hoping someone can just make a script to login into the ip of the camera to turn it on/off.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's definitely one way of doing it. I am hoping that somebody with some api coding knowledge can work it out I have very little knowledge of it. Hoping someone can just make a script to login into the ip of the camera to turn it on/off.
Doing this with a smart plug would hands down be the easiest way of achieving what you want to do. Scripting the same thing would certainly be possible, but more complicated and will have to be tailored to your specific setup.

I have a few lines of bash script that does this if you’re running a Linux environment, but you need to be able to tailor it yourself. I had sort of the same need as you and got started, but don’t have the time and need to finish it, unfortunately. No idea how you would trigger that script from a mobile or Windows PC.