Review-OEM IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 2mp AI active deterrence cam

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried with the minimum size and pixel setting?
No, but I have considered that. The reason that I haven’t, yet, is that I’ve been hoping that the firmware updates would make the AI work. I’m wary that I’ll screw things up with the minimum size so that it’ll miss objects (people). I’d rather live with too many false alarms than a real, missed one.

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
Just to let you know my experience. I have a 5241 running System Version V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02. It's mounted just under the roof overlooking a driveway. We have lots of cats and every night they used to trigger the IVS tripwires - at least 5 times. Since running a calibration (3 vertical, 1 horizontal) it's been perfect. Not one misfire in a week. The gDMSS notification to my LG mobile, just say either "human" or "vehical". Works brilliantly for me!.

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
This is so weird to me. I wonder if the AI functionality - whatever that is in reality - didn’t make it into this part of the IVS. At the same time, detecting a person vs an animal is one of the easiest AI cases out there. I’m not a huge fan of companies overselling their products and this one comes close. I purchased it solely for the purpose of using Active Deterrence on people only, rather than every cat passing by.

Anyway, I’ll try out the calibration guide from IVS/Global Setup - Dahua Wiki and see if it helps any. FFS, Dahua..
This solved my issue - perfect.

The North Face

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to let you know my experience. I have a 5241 running System Version V2.800.0000000.8.R, Build Date: 2019-09-02. It's mounted just under the roof overlooking a driveway. We have lots of cats and every night they used to trigger the IVS tripwires - at least 5 times. Since running a calibration (3 vertical, 1 horizontal) it's been perfect. Not one misfire in a week. The gDMSS notification to my LG mobile, just say either "human" or "vehical". Works brilliantly for me!.
Happy to hear! I never got around to do this due to lack of calibration material, but it seems like this is the key then. If only Dahua could have told us in the first place and saved us a ton of hours :lmao:

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
I run blue iris with this cam should I use smart codec

How do I calibrate what is involved in doing this?

This is the guide I followed. Very simple. I just got 3 * 1m lengths of wood and stood them up on the drive to calibrate the verticals, and laid 2 out horizontally to calibrate that axis. Makes sense really as without any reference to what the camera is looking at, how would the algorithms know the relevant sizes of objects detected. The multiple messages on gDMSS are due to having multiple tripwires. As I say, after a week of multiple cat triggers literally every couple of hours, I know only get humans or vehicle

Attachments

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This looks like the perfect non doorbell camera.

Few questions:
Does 2 way audio work in BI?
Does 2 way audio work with other apps like tinycam?
Do the alarm or IVS work in BI or tinycam?

The talks about push notifications from the camera for alarms, is that if the camera is connected to the Internet? I don't ever plan on putting any camera online.

I use tinycam as a monitor on an old tablet as to not use resources on my BI server, so it would be nice if 2 way audio worked without the Dahua app since i have various cameras.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does 2 way audio work in BI?
The nuance with BI's two-way audio that kills it for me is that it's not full duplex. At least with the BI iOS app, if you want to talk to the camera you have to press the MIC button, talk, then press the MIC button again. While the MIC is on, you can't hear anything coming back from the camera.

BI has no problem with IVS on my Dahua cameras. You just have to tick the "Use PullPointSubscription" option in BI on the camera's video properties tab (under the ONVIF option, which should already be ticked).

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The nuance with BI's two-way audio that kills it for me is that it's not full duplex. At least with the BI iOS app, if you want to talk to the camera you have to press the MIC button, talk, then press the MIC button again. While the MIC is on, you can't hear anything coming back from the camera.

BI has no problem with IVS on my Dahua cameras. You just have to tick the "Use PullPointSubscription" option in BI on the camera's video properties tab (under the ONVIF option, which should already be ticked).
So basically a walkie talkie then?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
If you recently purchased an active deterrence Dahua camera (i.e. that didn't come with the Alarm Audio samples, you can download the .zip file attached; contains 11 Audio Alarm Samples; you'll need to add each one individually (Add Audio File option). The audio format is .pcm

Attachments

ANTH040

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there a way to activate the alarm off and on without going into the web page and turning the IVS off.

For example having the garden intrusion or tripwire on for 24 hours and then when I want to enter the garden I am able to use an app to turn it off?

Markc_UK

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a way to activate the alarm off and on without going into the web page and turning the IVS off.

For example having the garden intrusion or tripwire on for 24 hours and then when I want to enter the garden I am able to use an app to turn it off?
Not that I am aware of. I too have this issue and would like to see a quick and easy way to 'suspend' IVS for a period of time. It would be a great feature for the mobile app.

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For each IVS rule you set. You can set time, settings for LED(on/off, or flashing, and adjust time on/flashing), Audio file play on/off and duration etc. So not difficult to set.
View attachment 49218
Don't forget to set smart plan to IVS if you haven't already.
HOW do you get this screen in the NVR with NVR 4.0?? i've been pulling my hair out for 3 days trying to set up my new 5241H-AS-PV with a dahua 5208 using the new NVR 4.0 GUI. I can't go into the camera GUI to make IVS settings, I have to change the IP and it's just not practical. My IVS does not work on the 5241H, but works on the 2231T.

Last edited:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Is that a built in PoE switch NVR? Why do you have to change the IP address?

funkybunch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that a built in PoE switch NVR? Why do you have to change the IP address?
yes, i'm having a hell of a time with these cameras. because this $500 NVR won't allow me to change the IVS rules to activate the flashing light and outgoing audio tracks in the new NVR 4.0 GUI. so i have to go into the camera GUI, in order to do that i need to change the IP address so my computer will see it, it's a huge cluster. i'm sitting here literally redrawing tripwires and intrusion zones and enabling alarm output, doing everything and IVS is not working. not to mention it's not the correct camera that i ordered. i'm trying, i really am. Let me know if you'd like any screenshots.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The problem looks to be your firmware. Thats not what the 4.x FW looks like

It should appear like this, click on "Management" at top then "Cameras"

NewNVRUI-CameraAccess2.jpg