Review - TOP-201 Super Mini 720P HD IP-Cam (The Cheapest IP Cam So Far !!)

polomotion

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi!
Anybody can help me to configure the cam in the IP CAM VIEWER????

Sparkey

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anybody know how to disable NAT on these cameras? I bought 2 and had a helluva time getting the first one to work. Somewhere in the process, I have no idea how, NAT got disabled and it started working. I also have 3 others that were no problem and all 3 also have NAT disabled.

Thanks

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
can the top201 run 24 hours 7 days a week all year round decade long without burning? Can it last that long? what component of the pcb can get broken first?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run mine 24/7 for the past month or two without issues. Not sure how long it will last, but for $25 I won't complain when the cam kicks the can.

bls

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one thats been running 24/7 for several years and expect it to last many more. There's nothing mechanical to wear out so they should last forever (assuming the voltage is proper and stable with no spikes), but electrolytic caps will eventually dry up and mechanical stresses from temperature changes (which causes materials to expand and contract) will eventually cause semiconductors to fail. The other thing that can damage them is capturing the sun stationary in the image for any length of time as the heat from having the sun focused on the CCD will overheat and damage the sensor elements the sun is focused on.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have one thats been running 24/7 for several years and expect it to last many more. There's nothing mechanical to wear out so they should last forever (assuming the voltage is proper and stable with no spikes), but electrolytic caps will eventually dry up and mechanical stresses from temperature changes (which causes materials to expand and contract) will eventually cause semiconductors to fail. The other thing that can damage them is capturing the sun stationary in the image for any length of time as the heat from having the sun focused on the CCD will overheat and damage the sensor elements the sun is focused on.
So the Top201 is as reliable in component degradation as full fledged CCTV cams like dahua, hikvision, axis?

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi stepz

The 'top201' type of camera board does not come with the IR switching/ blocking components, and needs to use an IR blocking lens to keep the colours right.... (doesn't come with it cos the case/box is to small)

So if you can find a pinhole lens that is IR blocking then all will be well.
I spent 2 hours researching all this. I think the *fixed* IR filter is put right on top of the sensor and not part of lens coating. So no matter what lens you use, IR filtering works because the IR film is right on top of sensor. Why do you believe it is in the lens coating in the case of the Top201? Have you actually examine the inside of board and lens? Can others confirm what is early the case?

bls

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the Top201 is as reliable in component degradation as full fledged CCTV cams like dahua, hikvision, axis?
Weak components usually fail early in life and I'm not sure if dahua, hikvision, axis, etc. burn-in their cameras before selling them, but after several months (or a few weeks at least) I see no reason the Top201 wouldn't be as reliable.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does anyone know how long can rechargeable batteries last running the Top201 without direct AC power.. let's say motorcycle lead acid batteries.. or something smaller (or smallest that is possible)?

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I spent 2 hours researching all this. I think the *fixed* IR filter is put right on top of the sensor and not part of lens coating. So no matter what lens you use, IR filtering works because the IR film is right on top of sensor. Why do you believe it is in the lens coating in the case of the Top201? Have you actually examine the inside of board and lens? Can others confirm what is early the case?
No, the camera is not built with a fixed IR filter. It is part of the lens. If you remove the filter from the lens, daytime color is wrong (green looks purple) and it can pickup the 850nm light from IR. @DaveP is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The following attached picture from an 1080p Hisilicon 3516c.. note the fixed IR filter over the sensor.. where can one buy like that so I can put it over the sensor of the 3518e of the Top201? I need to use pinhole lens which doesn't have built in ir block.

Btw. can you take apart you top201 and take picture of the sensor. Tnx.

Attachments

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to expand..

The standard top-201 as ruppmeister says above is IR blocking, which is good if 1. you don't need IR capability and 2. the lens focal length is perfect for the chosen situation.

IF you need a different lens then and point 1 is still valid then it will have to be also IR blocking (if available)... if the required lens is not available as IR blocking then a separate IR filter will need to be attached 'right on top of the sensor' as stepz said.

If the standard case were bigger, then a standard electronic IR filter could be plugged into the board.... but its not, lol

So for non IR blocking lens (maybe like the pin hole type mentioned earlier) an option could be to take apart a cheaply available electronic IR filter and remove the filter which then could be laid over the sensor and held in position by what ever means your happy with or capable of (blue tack or glue gun are two options I have used).

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just to expand..

The standard top-201 as ruppmeister says above is IR blocking, which is good if 1. you don't need IR capability and 2. the lens focal length is perfect for the chosen situation.

IF you need a different lens then and point 1 is still valid then it will have to be also IR blocking (if available)... if the required lens is not available as IR blocking then a separate IR filter will need to be attached 'right on top of the sensor' as stepz said.

If the standard case were bigger, then a standard electronic IR filter could be plugged into the board.... but its not, lol

So for non IR blocking lens (maybe like the pin hole type mentioned earlier) an option could be to take apart a cheaply available electronic IR filter and remove the filter which then could be laid over the sensor and held in position by what ever means your happy with or capable of (blue tack or glue gun are two options I have used).
Can you please confirm that the attached picture I posted earlier has IR filter really glued on top of the sensor? The supplier doen't know since he just got it elsewhere fully assembled. Why is it colored violet? Second. Where to buy this electronic IR filter (any link or url.. tnx).. why is it called electronic and how cheap it is? And can't you cut it to fit the small case of the top201?

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone got a disassembled stock lens of the top201? please take apart the ir filter off the lens and take picture how it looks like (lens and filter).. my order of the unit wil come maybe in 3 weeks time and I have to decide whether the ir filter in the lens can be re used with the pinhole lens I have or even glued right to the sensor or order a separate ir filter...

stepz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi stepz

It looks like an IR filter.. but only way to prove it, is to test it.

The cheap way to obtain a filter is to purchase something like this ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Infrared-IR-Cut-Dual-Filter-DC-3V-for-CCTV-Surveillance-Security-Camera-Board-/381270484479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58c57de5ff

Take it apart and butcher it as required.
I jus ordered one like it and it's coming in 1 month. I just want to something for now. Why is it called dual filter( most dual filter including one I ordered)a.. are the glasses glued on top of each other. Why is single filter not sufficient, any clue?

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Its called 'dual' because its switchable between clear and IR blocking (2 options)

Inside the device is a electromagnet which changes the position of the IR filter so that its either in front of the sensor or not.