Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What version of BI do these temporary alert images start being saved? My alerts folder is empty without turning on hi-res jpegs.
When I posted this observation on Feb 8, I was running v5.6.9.8.

I'm currently running v5.7.0.4. And, like you, I'm not seeing the temporary alert images.
I reverted back to v5.6.9.8, and the temporary alert images reappeared.

I've added a heads-up EDIT to the original post.

I've also emailed Ken to ask if he might consider restoring the feature.

Last edited:

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally decided to switch half of my alerts from using email-based to this method. Previously, I was hesitant about generating hi-res jpg to use this feature, but then I had to learn it the hard way.

I was on version 5.6.3.4 and after an unexpected power loss, the machine booted back up with all the alerts gone. I've went through process to repair/regnerate and even then, it was only partially successful. I was still missing about 2 weeks worth of alerts. After reading the issue, I saw someone confirm there was a bug in older versions of BI that might have led to this and suggestion was to upgrade to later version. Originally, I was holding out to next big release after they ironed out the CP AI integration and now ended up paying to renewal to upgrade to latest version to avoid having this DB issue with missing alerts after power lost.

Anyway, with all that said, my guess is Ken might have removed the temporary alert image after the version where he fixed the DB issue with missing alerts after unexpected shutdown of BI. My current understanding is with having hi-res jpgs saved and if you're having to do repair/regenerate or worse one with delete/regenerate, it should work better now since BI can scan your alert folders for hi-res jpgs files using them for marker reference.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Received the following from Ken today regarding the recent history of the ‘temporary alert files’…

These files were being created when they were not required. Now, they are only created if you use &ALERT_PATH in an email, sms, push, etc. AND the alert is not already being saved as a JPG file. In 5.7.0.5 the camera name was removed for a random number, but I should be able to change that back for you in the next release.

I replied with the following…

Thanks!
Another thought… Can you keep BOTH the random number temporary files and ADD BACK the camera name temporary file? I ask because I suspect that other users may report a problem if they want to locate the jpg file from an older email, sms, push, etc. and &ALERT_PATH no longer points to a unique jpg file.

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello guys
Does anyone have a step by step instructions on how to setup pushover with blue iris.
I read the thread over and over but still confused
Thanks everyone

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ui3 is simply a viewer- it does not have push capabilities.

This thread is how to set it up in BI and then use the pushover app downloaded on your phone to get the push notifications.

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
Ui3 is simply a viewer- it does not have push capabilities.

This thread is how to set it up in BI and then use the pushover app downloaded on your phone to get the push notifications.
Thanks for the correction Sir

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction Sir
I do recommend Pushover... works great for me. It did take me a bit to get it configured properly. I'll quote a post I made to another thread as it may help you get set up and avoid a couple of nits I stumbled into:

First: when after you sign up and download the app, etc you will need to put the string noted in Jaydeel's great post into BI's actions.

-s --form-string "token=YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE" --form-string "user=YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

You will need to change the APP TOKEN and USER KEY. That part is easy. But you also need to put the Blue Iris alert path in at the end of that string. If your Blue Iris path is different (mine was), make sure it's correct here, and do not change the words \&ALERT_PATH" ... don't substitute anything here. So my version of the part after _SOUND_HERE" is
_F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
Now if you try to test this in BI alerts/actions by using the lightning bolt to trigger the set you made, It will NOT work here! You must test this by actually going outside and triggering the camera... I went nuts trying to test it with the BI trigger and couldn't figure what I did wrong. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
I do recommend Pushover... works great for me. It did take me a bit to get it configured properly. I'll quote a post I made to another thread as it may help you get set up and avoid a couple of nits I stumbled into:

First: when after you sign up and download the app, etc you will need to put the string noted in Jaydeel's great post into BI's actions.

-s --form-string "token=YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE" --form-string "user=YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

You will need to change the APP TOKEN and USER KEY. That part is easy. But you also need to put the Blue Iris alert path in at the end of that string. If your Blue Iris path is different (mine was), make sure it's correct here, and do not change the words \&ALERT_PATH" ... don't substitute anything here. So my version of the part after _SOUND_HERE" is
_F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
Now if you try to test this in BI alerts/actions by using the lightning bolt to trigger the set you made, It will NOT work here! You must test this by actually going outside and triggering the camera... I went nuts trying to test it with the BI trigger and couldn't figure what I did wrong. Good luck, hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the info
I will give it a go

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just wanted to concur that once you have it configured correctly, it is wonderful. If you're not proficient with command line stuff, it's a bit of learning curve. But it's worth the effort. I had to push through.

One step I missed that caused me all kinds of grief was turning on the high-resolution image (vs database) under trigger:

1681238426314.png

If you miss that step, you will be beating your head against a wall...

Ky's

n3wb
Reaction score
Guys I am thankful for the info but where do I start
Where do I put all these code
Should I start with blue iris then pushover then Command prompt
Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guys I am thankful for the info but where do I start
Where do I put all these code
Should I start with blue iris then pushover then Command prompt
Thanks
Go to the very first post by @jaydeel that started this thread and follow the examples, replacing his credentials with YOUR credentials that you got from Pushover when you signed up. Read ALL of it on a PC, not a tablet, and customize it for YOUR needs.

Excerpt from his post:

"Required & optional edits:

• You must replace the placeholders YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE and YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE.
  • You must edit the 'attachment' string to reflect the actual path to your Blue Iris 'Alerts' folder.
  • Placeholders YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE and YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE are optional. Leave as is, or edit them as desired. For the former, you can specify multiple devices using a comma delimiter. Keep in mind that these are devices names as shown in your Pushover account."
You can test by going to a command prompt in Windows 10 and pasting your script into it and then hit <enter> . I suggest Win 10 because it definitely has Curl and you can paste into a command prompt window. If you have the syntax, credentials, etc. correct, it will send the message promptly to the device (smartphone or tablet) that has the Pushover app installed on it.

Below is something very simple for you AFTER you've signed up with Pushover and got your Token and User Key for your first API script. It will send the message "TEST MESSAGE!" to your device. You could name your first token "Test" or whatever.. Insert YOUR info where indicated. Copy and paste into Notepad to modify.

Code:
curl.exe https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=INSERT-YOUR-TOKEN-HERE" --form-string "user=INSERT-YOUR-USER-KEY-HERE" --form-string "message=TEST MESSAGE!"

Last edited:

Injunfarian

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this, I have implemented it and added another parameter to the CURL for the priority:

Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=YOUR_APP_TOKEN_HERE" --form-string "user=YOUR_USER_KEY_HERE" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" --form-string "priority=1" -F "attachment=@D:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
Not the addition of:
--form-string "priority=1"

So you can change the priority of this alert, since I want it to be a Critical Alert on my iPhone so it by-passes and DND etc.

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can anyone of you great lads tell me if there's a thread on push notification not sending "camera image" on alert? it just stopped sending the "camera image" a little over a week ago even though I have it checked in the Push notification section. thanks

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Can anyone of you great lads tell me if there's a thread on push notification not sending "camera image" on alert? it just stopped sending the "camera image" a little over a week ago even though I have it checked in the Push notification section. thanks
Are you still getting the pushover alerts? What does your alert storage settings look like?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect it is something local to your area and the server pushover is going thru.

Are you doing the API approach of this thread or the send email approach? That could make a difference in the reason.

But at the same time, maybe a repair/regenerate of the DB is in order, as is a reboot of the computer.

Here is a link to a thread I started when I experienced it and it has some links to check about status:

1fxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I suspect it is something local to your area and the server pushover is going thru.

Are you doing the API approach of this thread or the send email approach? That could make a difference in the reason.

But at the same time, maybe a repair/regenerate of the DB is in order, as is a reboot of the computer.

Here is a link to a thread I started when I experienced it and it has some links to check about status:

Iv had this BI for at least 5 years now. it seems like it happend once before. I did do a DB delete & rebuild. But I'll check out your post.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I gotta say this is one of the best features. After setting it up, I dont know how I lived without it! I setup alerts to areas that an intruder has to go by in order to gain access to home.

Running codeproject ai in a docker container has also resolved any issues I had in the past with it. I was running it on windows before and sometimes it would stop working. I suspect it was a bug in an older version of the software. Anyways, running it in its own docker container on a linux VM is the best approach IMO.

I have been running the current setup for 2 weeks now and it has been absolutely flawless!

I wish blueiris author would implement this natively instead of having to write out the command. Also, why are there no labels for the ALERTS I am running? I have a few pushover accounts and it tough to decode which one I am sending to without a label on the alert section (unless I somehow missed it).

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I gotta say this is one of the best features. After setting it up, I dont know how I lived without it! I setup alerts to areas that an intruder has to go by in order to gain access to home.

Running codeproject ai in a docker container has also resolved any issues I had in the past with it. I was running it on windows before and sometimes it would stop working. I suspect it was a bug in an older version of the software. Anyways, running it in its own docker container on a linux VM is the best approach IMO.

I have been running the current setup for 2 weeks now and it has been absolutely flawless!

I wish blueiris author would implement this natively instead of having to write out the command. Also, why are there no labels for the ALERTS I am running? I have a few pushover accounts and it tough to decode which one I am sending to without a label on the alert section (unless I somehow missed it).
Yup, I agree. I love getting alerts for people walking into my driveway now no matter where I am so long as I have my phone in my pocket.

My only issue is that sometimes Pushover alerts are delayed. It can be sometimes up to 30 seconds or more before my phone receives it. Not sure why that is. I seem to see it more when I haven't used my phone for some time (an hour or more). If I have recently used my phone or am in the process of using it, the alerts come in immediately as soon as BI fires the CURL command.

When you say "no labels" I'm not sure what you mean. I get the camera name in my alert list on the pushover app on my phone using the curl command.

tmushy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yup, I agree. I love getting alerts for people walking into my driveway now no matter where I am so long as I have my phone in my pocket.

My only issue is that sometimes Pushover alerts are delayed. It can be sometimes up to 30 seconds or more before my phone receives it. Not sure why that is. I seem to see it more when I haven't used my phone for some time (an hour or more). If I have recently used my phone or am in the process of using it, the alerts come in immediately as soon as BI fires the CURL command.

When you say "no labels" I'm not sure what you mean. I get the camera name in my alert list on the pushover app on my phone using the curl command.
Try checking the power settings for pushover on your phone. On android, I have it unrestricted so it doesn't go into any sort of battery saving. This gives me instant alerts. Iphone also has the same thing somewhere in its settings.

By labels. I mean the alerts area. I attached a photo. All I see for description is CURL. Id like to label it but not sure if im able to

Attachments