Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1. Try the steps in the “Debugging” section in the original post.
2. If the macros are fully resolving, then make sure the *.jpg file actually exists… To test existence: Copy the filespec to the clipboard, hit the Windows key, type Ctrl-V, then hit the Enter key. If the files exists, Windows will open it in the default viewer.
I did try them.. since just removing the attachments part at the end allows Pushover to send the alerts, I assume everything BUT the attachment image part is ok.

the syntax I'm using is -s --form-string "token=TOKEN" --form-string "user=USER" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"

testing it to a txt file gives:
-s --form-string "token=TOKEN" --form-string "user=USER" --form-string "message=<b>FRONT</b> <a href=''>Hi-Res</a> <a href=''>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=YOUR_PUSHOVER_DEVICE_NAME(S)_HERE" --form-string "sound=YOUR_PUSHOVER_SOUND_HERE" -F "attachment=@D:\Alerts\fnf"

Screenshot 2023-01-21 213544.png the jpgs are in the d:\Alerts folder. I just can't see the issue.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
yes, I assume "file not found"???
yes, service, not local system (password required)
I’ve not seen this myself, nor am I aware of any other users reporting this.
Suggest emailing support. It may take awhile for a response.
Please share what you learn.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
well, I tested the same string today.
I was testing last night using the "test" button in the alerts action set. I could get Pushover to work WITHOUT the alerts attachments part at the end, but not with it.
BUT, I tried triggering the cameras myself today (rather than use the TEST button) , and it now works WITH the attachments string, and sends the jpg image. I have no idea why, but that's the way it is working here.

Next question: If I use blue iris app, I get the notification to my phone, but if I want to see images or clip, I need to start the vpn (no port forwarding) when away from my network. That makes sense... seeing UI3 needs the VPN or Port forward when away. With Pushover, am I correct that I need the same thing to see the HiRes jpg or UI3 for a clip? Must start the vpn and have BI use the local IP?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
well, I tested the same string today.
I was testing last night using the "test" button in the alerts action set. I could get Pushover to work WITHOUT the alerts attachments part at the end, but not with it.
BUT, I tried triggering the cameras myself today (rather than use the TEST button) , and it now works WITH the attachments string, and sends the jpg image. I have no idea why, but that's the way it is working here.

Next question: If I use blue iris app, I get the notification to my phone, but if I want to see images or clip, I need to start the vpn (no port forwarding) when away from my network. That makes sense... seeing UI3 needs the VPN or Port forward when away. With Pushover, am I correct that I need the same thing to see the HiRes jpg or UI3 for a clip? Must start the vpn and have BI use the local IP?
That is the beauty of Pushover versus the app - you will get photos as it is being sent differently without ports being opened or forwarded.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the beauty of Pushover versus the app - you will get photos as it is being sent differently without ports being opened or forwarded.
but no video, correct? still need ports or vpn for that?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
BUT, I tried triggering the cameras myself today (rather than use the TEST button) , and it now works WITH the attachments string, and sends the jpg image. I have no idea why
Here's why... from “Testing the Action Set” in the help PDF.
1674434965695.png

sgt-flippy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'll explain my use case first. I can't view my cameras at work, so to be able to get something, I use Pushover and a rule in Sharptools to trigger my cameras and have them send over a snapshot.
Not a big deal, but I usually get an older snapshot first, from a previous trigger or a different type trigger, the second time I execute the rule, I get a new one.

How come and can I solve this?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'll explain my use case first. I can't view my cameras at work, so to be able to get something, I use Pushover and a rule in Sharptools to trigger my cameras and have them send over a snapshot.
Not a big deal, but I usually get an older snapshot first, from a previous trigger or a different type trigger, the second time I execute the rule, I get a new one.

How come and can I solve this?
I suspect that what is happening is that the &ALERT_PATH macro is not updated on the trigger event, but rather it is updated when the trigger meets the criteria for an alert. So the 1st time, a previous alert jpg is sent.

You might try both of these HTTP interface commands to trigger the camera
1675120753306.png

I haven’t tested this.

Last edited:

cybernetics1d

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm currently using email alert option with Blue Iris that allows you to specify the picture quality for the attachment. I've been testing this method for Pushover using the default &ALERT_PATH image and it looks terrible to me even when I'm using 720p substream for a camera. Just curious, without enabling saving hi-res pictures to disk, is it possible to somehow utilize this same method BlueIris is generating the picture for the email alert and use that as an attachment for Pushover instead?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm currently using email alert option with Blue Iris that allows you to specify the picture quality for the attachment. I've been testing this method for Pushover using the default &ALERT_PATH image and it looks terrible to me even when I'm using 720p substream for a camera. Just curious, without enabling saving hi-res pictures to disk, is it possible to somehow utilize this same method BlueIris is generating the picture for the email alert and use that as an attachment for Pushover instead?
Not that I’m aware of.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I set up the script in the first post and had it working on my old instance of BI like a charm. Like a fool I changed hardware and figured I may as well start over with a fresh OS(MS Server 22 same as previous) and BI 5 install. Now, when I get notifications it sends the image before the actual triggered image. So if I leave my drivway I get the pic from when I pulled in before. Like the 1 trigger before the one causing this send. Does that make sense? Anyone have an idea how to fix it? I re-created my DB. I even nuked my first image and re-imaged the pc and re-installed everything with the same issue thinking something was jacked in some config somewhere. Here is my script: -s --form-string "token=" --form-string "user=" --form-string "message=Entryway" -F "attachment=@E:\BlueIris\ALERTS\&ALERT_PATH" . I toggled settings and tried from alerts to triggered and back but Im lost now.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I set up the script in the first post and had it working on my old instance of BI like a charm. Like a fool I changed hardware and figured I may as well start over with a fresh OS(MS Server 22 same as previous) and BI 5 install. Now, when I get notifications it sends the image before the actual triggered image. So if I leave my drivway I get the pic from when I pulled in before. Like the 1 trigger before the one causing this send. Does that make sense? Anyone have an idea how to fix it? I re-created my DB. I even nuked my first image and re-imaged the pc and re-installed everything with the same issue thinking something was jacked in some config somewhere. Here is my script: -s --form-string "token=" --form-string "user=" --form-string "message=Entryway" -F "attachment=@E:\BlueIris\ALERTS\&ALERT_PATH" . I toggled settings and tried from alerts to triggered and back but Im lost now.
Please confirm that the Action sending the Pushover Curl command is in the camera's Alerts tab 'On alert' Action Set... not inadvertently in the Trigger tab Action Set

Reaction score
Please confirm that the Action sending the Pushover Curl command is in the camera's Alerts tab 'On alert' Action Set... not inadvertently in the Trigger tab Action Set
Ill give it a go. I did try that last night and didn't get any notifications this am for the bus. But, now that I look at "alerts" the camera never triggered. So maybe that's my mistake. And I did originally have it on the "trigger" tab so this could very well be the fix!! Otherwise, I have my camera to record continous+trigger and when triggered to add hi res jpegs to alert list.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ill give it a go. I did try that last night and didn't get any notifications this am for the bus. But, now that I look at "alerts" the camera never triggered. So maybe that's my mistake. And I did originally have it on the "trigger" tab so this could very well be the fix!! Otherwise, I have my camera to record continous+trigger and when triggered to add hi res jpegs to alert list.
You may not need to use the setting to add hi res jpegs to the alert list. There is a caveat. See this post.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You may not need to use the setting to add hi res jpegs to the alert list. See this post. But note the caveat.
Reasons why you might choose not to save hi-res jpegs are: to save disk space and to avoid creating excessive entries to the Alerts folder.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may not need to use the setting to add hi res jpegs to the alert list. See this post. But note the caveat.
Reason why you might choose not to save hi-res jpegs are: to save disk space and to avoid creating excessive entries to the Alerts folder.
I may try that. Thanks for the help. My images coming through are the right ones now!!!!

shosta3

n3wb
Reaction score
Reasons why you might choose not to save hi-res jpegs are: to save disk space and to avoid creating excessive entries to the Alerts folder.
What version of BI do these temporary alert images start being saved? My alerts folder is empty without turning on hi-res jpegs.