Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got it, btw what's the reason one has to click on a notification for the image to appear. Why not appear immediately? Is that a pushover limitation?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Last edited:

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put the priority=1 syntax in but messages are still being delivered as normal priority.
Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=%998" --form-string "priority=1"
How I tested: Put iphone in sleep mode, did a manual priority 1 push from pushover's website and my phone does beep and shows a time sensisitive notification. Then I walk near the camera and no beep but I do see the pushover notification under 'While in sleep focus'. In pushover's guide, it says High-priority messages are highlighted in red in the device clients and it's not red in the pushover app

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I put the priority=1 syntax in but messages are still being delivered as normal priority.
Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=%998" --form-string "priority=1"
How I tested: Put iphone in sleep mode, did a manual priority 1 push from pushover's website and my phone does beep and shows a time sensisitive notification. Then I walk near the camera and no beep but I do see the pushover notification under 'While in sleep focus'. In pushover's guide, it says High-priority messages are highlighted in red in the device clients and it's not red in the pushover app
Suggestions:
1. iPhone Settings > Notifications > Pushover > Enable ‘Time Sensitive Notifications’
2. Pushover App > Settings (gear icon) > ‘Quiet Hours’ …. review settings

Other users may have better suggestions (I don’t use an iPhone routinely but have one for testing).

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
checked all those settings and also enabled 'critical alerts for high-priorioty'. How do I check if curl is actually generating a priority 1 alert?
Also is it worthwhile moving --form-string "priority=1" to earlier in the syntax or the order doesn't matter?

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
checked all those settings and also enabled 'critical alerts for high-priorioty'. How do I check if curl is actually generating a priority 1 alert?
Also is it worthwhile moving --form-string "priority=1" to earlier in the syntax or the order doesn't matter?
Parameter order should not matter.

I've previously suggested how you can capture the exact syntax that was sent by Blue Iris to the Pushover API (example). See also post #1 section 'Debugging'. It's not as much work as it may first appear.

To examine the Pushover API's response from this captured syntax, see post #1 section 'Testing using the Windows Command Prompt'.

Last edited:

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Was really hoping this would be the case but unfortunately not, stil have that issue. I have to try the other troubleshooting steps jaydeel laid out. My pushover app and the pushover service and the phone settings are all correct because when I do a priority 1 alert from their website, it comes through consistently. So it's something at the blue iris or curl end

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ye!!! got it working, All i did was move this to the beginning- --form-string "priority=1" instead of the end
Here's the syntax that's working well now and it's showing the alert with a red box around it on the app
Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s  --form-string "priority=1" --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=%998"

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
ye!!! got it working, All i did was move this to the beginning- --form-string "priority=1" instead of the end
Here's the syntax that's working well now and it's showing the alert with a red box around it on the app
Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s  --form-string "priority=1" --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=%998"
It only works because the priority parameter was re-positioned prior to a syntax error.

The syntax is easier to debug if you copy the code to a text editor and insert new lines before each parameter, like this...
Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s
--form-string "priority=1"
--form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997"
--form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO"
-F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH"
<a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>"
--form-string "html=1"
--form-string "device=%998"
Note that once again, the hyperlink code bits are orphaned (<a href='...'</a>) from the message parameter. And there exists a stray double-quote after the existing hyperlink code that must be deleted.

The code in the 3rd-to-last line, excluding the terminating double-quote, <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>, must be relocated to the end of the message parameter (before the terminating double-quote).

Pay attention to syntax! If something's not working, trying breaking it down to smaller, easier to inspect pieces.

Last edited:

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying once again. I was using notepad, switched to sublime text and hopefully things are better. I also copied the syntax directly from your code block this time and everything is working including priority. I need to add notifications to one more user so will add to the syntax but I'll make sure I add anything else to the end. One small request for future users - if there's a GUI tool that's fairly easy to develop and just gives an output of a syntax one can copy/paste, that could be useful. But totally understand your time is valuable and you are providing a free service here and very grateful for that - thanks!

This is working well right now including the HTML links

Code:
https://api.pushover.net/1/messages.json -s --form-string "token=%996" --form-string "user=%997" --form-string "message=<b>&CAM</b> &MEMO <a href='&WAN/alerts/&ALERT_DB?fulljpeg'>Hi-Res</a> <a href='&WAN/ui3.htm?rec=&ALERT_DB'>UI3</a>" -F "attachment=@C:\BlueIris\Alerts\&ALERT_PATH" --form-string "html=1" --form-string "device=%998" --form-string "priority=1"

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I was using notepad, switched to sublime text
I use Notepad++. It does not require a paid license, as Sublime Text appears too. I had never run across it before now.

One small request for future users - if there's a GUI tool that's fairly easy to develop and just gives an output of a syntax one can copy/paste, that could be useful.
The request may be small, but from first hand experience, the effort required is not, haha... I've already got a working template from another project that I could start with, but I still think my time is better used helping users directly.