Setting up new Blue Iris system

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just found your site today. Looks like "the" forum for security camera knowledge. I'm new to this. As my initial system, I want to set up a single camera and be able to view it's output on my computer monitor. Here's where I'm at. I've ordered a Hikvision 4mp poe dome camera (DS-2CD2142FWD-I) with 2.8mm lens, english version. I plan to either download iVMS-4200 for OS X or buy the Blue Iris software for windows. I also have to buy ethernet cable and a poe ethernet switch.

Is that it? Am I missing something? Which poe switch should I get?

Should I try the Hikvision sw to start with or skip that and go straight to Blue Iris?

Ultimately I hope to have 10+ cameras covering my house and shop with recording, motion detection, alert messages, and iphone viewing.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I just found your site today. Looks like "the" forum for security camera knowledge. I'm new to this. As my initial system, I want to set up a single camera and be able to view it's output on my computer monitor. Here's where I'm at. I've ordered a Hikvision 4mp poe dome camera (DS-2CD2142FWD-I) with 2.8mm lens, english version. I plan to either download iVMS-4200 for OS X or buy the Blue Iris software for windows. I also have to buy ethernet cable and a poe ethernet switch.

Is that it? Am I missing something? Which poe switch should I get?

Should I try the Hikvision sw to start with or skip that and go straight to Blue Iris?

Ultimately I hope to have 10+ cameras covering my house and shop with recording, motion detection, alert messages, and iphone viewing.

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum...the 4mp is not a good choice...I would start reading the forum before spending any more money on cams...there are much better options...

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
Reading the forum is why I chose the 4mp as an initial camera. What should I be looking at?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
and you dont want a dome...look for a turret...you must have been reading old threads.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reading the forum is why I chose the 4mp as an initial camera. What should I be looking at?
Hi Brazo,

Feel free to use the notes which giomania and I have to help as a guide of topics during this last year which maybe of interest to you.

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
i hope this is progress. Ordered the recommended camera from Andy, a spool of cat6 cable, connectors, tester and crimper from Monoprice, and a refurbished HP poe switch from ebay. I'll pick up the Blue Iris software when everything arrives.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i hope this is progress. Ordered the recommended camera from Andy, a spool of cat6 cable, connectors, tester and crimper from Monoprice, and a refurbished HP poe switch from ebay. I'll pick up the Blue Iris software when everything arrives.
Hi Brazo,

Yes major progress.. you'll see once you start testing the camera. Good to have another camera to compare it to, maybe the Hikvision one you mentioned.

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
The Hikvision camera had already shipped, so I'll try both.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Hikvision camera had already shipped, so I'll try both.
Hi Brazo,

Good! would be very interested to see a nice comparison between the 2 for both day and night time images.

mezger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey brazo -- also a newb, but I bought one example of that exact camera to see if I'd like a dome camera. Had trouble with the IR reflecting from the dome and causing big issues with night vision. Tried making sure the foam was in contact with the dome, etc. Ended up putting it in an application where supplemental IR is used and turned off its internal IR, now it's doing ok. I'm interested to see if you end up with the same issues. I also bought the 'newer' Hikvisions with the three IR LEDs and they don't seem to have that issue. Not sure what is good and bad night vision, may have to try out the Dahuas, but I want at least a certain resolution, most seem to be a very low MP. That said, I expect that getting a recognizable pic of a perp is a more complicated interaction of sensor characteristics, optics, frame rates, WDR, compression algorithm etc. than MP count alone explains, so more reading is in order on my end.

I will say that I saw much worse night vision behavior than the 4MP Hik from a couple Foscam fi9901ep I tried; ended up returning them because the sensors were so noisy it overruled my personal philosophy about 'test driving' something and then trying to return it.

Re: using the Hikvision app, I use the Hikvision app to adjust a number of the camera's specific detailed settings, and use BI as an NVR to parse the resulting stream from the camera.

Last edited:

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll report back once I test them.

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
An update.

I got the Dahua camera and have it running on an old XP laptop under the demo version of Blue Iris and using the HP poe switch.

The Hikvision camera appears to be lost. It shipped on 12/11 but tracking hasn't updated since 12/16.

Like others on here, ordered a Dell Optiplex 7050 mini tower from the outlet store and 4TB purple drive and Asus 27" monitor from Amazon. Debated on the 8TB purple but the 4TB's are the sweet spot on pricing right now.

The 7050 mini tower specs say only one 3.5" drive, but read Dell part DN8MY is caddy that will allow slight mod so two can fit. Any body done this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
An update.

I got the Dahua camera and have it running on an old XP laptop under the demo version of Blue Iris and using the HP poe switch.

The Hikvision camera appears to be lost. It shipped on 12/11 but tracking hasn't updated since 12/16.

Like others on here, ordered a Dell Optiplex 7050 mini tower from the outlet store and 4TB purple drive and Asus 27" monitor from Amazon. Debated on the 8TB purple but the 4TB's are the sweet spot on pricing right now.

The 7050 mini tower specs say only one 3.5" drive, but read Dell part DN8MY is caddy that will allow slight mod so two can fit. Any body done this?

caddy wont help, there is no physical room for 2x3.5...for that you will need a precision system or an hp elitedesk/prodesk tower..

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I'll look at that once system arrives. If that doesn't work, it looks like my decision on the 4TB purple over the 8 was a bad one.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought a $19 external USB HDD housing with external power for the 4T Purple HDD, and it is working well for Blue Iris storage. I had to go into Win10 Disk Management to get the HDD set up, though.

brazo

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Optiplex with a solid state drive, the 4TB purple is going in the one 3.5" bay the system does have.
Using the WD surveillance storage capacity estimator, it shows for 14 days with ten 1080 dahuas at 10fps a requirement of 5.2TB with H.265 and 6.8TB with H.264. With a little tweaking of days/fps/#cameras, the 4TB may be okay. What do you think? Can I expect to use H.265, the Dahua specs say they support it? How full can I realistically expect to get a drive?