Should I get the Reolink RLC-423 or maybe Hikvsion DS-2CD2142FWD-is ?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got into IP camera's last week. We have a 2 month old baby girl that will be sleeping her crib soon and needed a baby monitor. I went online and typed in baby monitor and up comes the Keekoon KK004

https://www.amazon.com/KeeKoon-Wireless-Camera-Monitor-Two-Way/dp/B073Q4PFN4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1505928772&sr=8-6&keywords=keekoon

Probably a toy by your standards but I was really impressed. Now I am hooked! I record continuously to SD card and eventually decided I wanted either an NVR or a software that does the same job. So since I already have multiple Dell R710's in my living room running my Hyper-V cluster I decided to go the software route. Settled on Blue Iris and I am happy with all the features. I continuously record in Blue Iris also and have email alerts to send me 5 pictures every time motion is triggered.

Anyway I am thinking about getting the Reolink RLC-423 since it seems feature packed and relatively inexpensive. Is not having the i-frame a huge issue? The menu on my Keekoon KK004 camera's is super basic and I don't even believe it lets you change your fps much less any other settings besides the basic IR, alerts, brightness, etc.

I know this camera does not have the best reputation on this forum from what I have read so far. What would be a recommended alternative, if any?

Here is what I want in order of importance.

• $300 or less
  • "Outdoor" IP Camera with "good" night vision (for the price of course).
  • PoE
  • Wide angle. Yard is small (maybe 25-30 feet to the curb), do not need to see very far but want to see as wide as I can.
  • PTZ (lens can be fixed or variable)
  • Audio if possible
  • SD card slot if possible
My second choice was this one: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-2.8MM

Hikvision 4MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-2.8MM

But my fear is that it will be a pain to mount and adjust since it's not a PTZ camera. Or that I will get an alert and something will happen off screen and I won't be able to change my view. If I understand correctly once you set the hikvision you cannot log in and love the camera, as it is fixed in it's position unless you re adjust it manually. Please let me know if that is incorrect.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got into IP camera's last week. We have a 2 month old baby girl that will be sleeping her crib soon and needed a baby monitor. I went online and typed in baby monitor and up comes the Keekoon KK004

https://www.amazon.com/KeeKoon-Wireless-Camera-Monitor-Two-Way/dp/B073Q4PFN4/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1505928772&sr=8-6&keywords=keekoon

Probably a toy by your standards but I was really impressed. Now I am hooked! I record continuously to SD card and eventually decided I wanted either an NVR or a software that does the same job. So since I already have multiple Dell R710's in my living room running my Hyper-V cluster I decided to go the software route. Settled on Blue Iris and I am happy with all the features. I continuously record in Blue Iris also and have email alerts to send me 5 pictures every time motion is triggered.

Anyway I am thinking about getting the Reolink RLC-423 since it seems feature packed and relatively inexpensive. Is not having the i-frame a huge issue? The menu on my Keekoon KK004 camera's is super basic and I don't even believe it lets you change your fps much less any other settings besides the basic IR, alerts, brightness, etc.

I know this camera does not have the best reputation on this forum from what I have read so far. What would be a recommended alternative, if any?

Here is what I want in order of importance.

• $300 or less
  • "Outdoor" IP Camera with "good" night vision (for the price of course).
  • PoE
  • Wide angle. Yard is small (maybe 25-30 feet to the curb), do not need to see very far but want to see as wide as I can.
  • PTZ (lens can be fixed or variable)
  • Audio if possible
  • SD card slot if possible
My second choice was this one: DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-2.8MM

Hikvision 4MP Outdoor Network Dome Camera DS-2CD2142FWD-IS-2.8MM

But my fear is that it will be a pain to mount and adjust since it's not a PTZ camera. Or that I will get an alert and something will happen off screen and I won't be able to change my view. If I understand correctly once you set the hikvision you cannot log in and love the camera, as it is fixed in it's position unless you re adjust it manually. Please let me know if that is incorrect.
avoid reolink, particularly with blue iris...see threads.. you know it is an issue, so why ask? You dont need ptz...its a gimmick for most case uses..
avoid dome...look for turret.
see dahua starlight and hikvision low light threads..
All this has been thoroughly discussed many times..

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hikvision

Be aware if you do go for a PTZ that it may need additional IR lighting for decent night use, not all PTZ units have on board, and on a dome the placement may induce issues with IR bounce back from walls etc. I moved mine and replaced it with a Turret and am happy I did.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
avoid reolink, particularly with blue iris...see threads.. you know it is an issue, so why ask? You dont need ptz...its a gimmick for most case uses..
avoid dome...look for turret.
see dahua starlight and hikvision low light threads..
All this has been thoroughly discussed many times..
I just have to ask. I guess it just seems too good to be true. Plus I only ever order from amazon.

I am looking like something like this then.

Aliexpress.com : Buy DAHUA 2.7mm ~12mm motorized lens 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Network Camera IPC HDW5231R Z ,free DHL shipping from Reliable network camera suppliers on Empire Technology Co., Ltd

Seems like it has all the features I need except PTZ, which turns out I may not need.

and idea what the difference between is between these two?

IPC-HDW5231R-Z

and

IPC-HDW5231RP-Z

I'll do a little bit more research this afternoon. But something like this should be better yea?

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I recently got started in this myself and implemented the 5231R-Z cameras. The "P" is just PAL vs NTSC which won't matter since this is digital.
See my thread (Hello! "Long time listener, first time caller.") if you want some pictures and general layout/fov that I covered with a handful of these devices.

While I know it isn't smiled upon here, with the variable focus it is possible to zoom "out" a bit on demand if you can otherwise aim the camera properly. For example I have one that watches my RV area that has plenty of room on both sides of center that allows me to zoom out if I wanted to during a time my kids were playing out there for an extended period, and then zoom back in for security purposes when done.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I recently got started in this myself and implemented the 5231R-Z cameras. The "P" is just PAL vs NTSC which won't matter since this is digital.
See my thread (Hello! "Long time listener, first time caller.") if you want some pictures and general layout/fov that I covered with a handful of these devices.

While I know it isn't smiled upon here, with the variable focus it is possible to zoom "out" a bit on demand if you can otherwise aim the camera properly. For example I have one that watches my RV area that has plenty of room on both sides of center that allows me to zoom out if I wanted to during a time my kids were playing out there for an extended period, and then zoom back in for security purposes when done.
Ok,

I think I'm going to settle on the DAHUA IPC-HDW5830R-Z

It looks like it has all the features as th 5231R-z, except it is 8MP. Does that sound right?

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whew,

Man this information is HARD to find. Their models are very confusing to me, but maybe it's just me. Why can I not easily find a list of DAHUA starlight camera's on google!

It looks like this is the only Turret one is the IPC-HDW5231R-Z. So they don't have them in 4 or 8 MP. Ok So I should just buy the IPC-HDW5231R-Z and a poe injector and be on my way? Any other thoughts before I buy it lol. Like most people I am a bit impatient.

Gymratz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a thread over 160 pages long basically devoted to the 5231R-Z. There are plenty of comparisons in the thread between other models, people upgrading to it, etc. It is a very nice camera that you won't beat in that price range.
I would suggest you have some patience though - your best bet to get that device is going to be out of China. While Andy does great at shipping, it's no Amazon Prime!

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sweet, I just bought the camera about an hour ago. Hopefully I get it some time next week.

I just don't know where I should mount it now. My front yard is pretty small, but I plan on buying a house soon, as I am just renting right now. I was thinking right above the door but not sure that's the greatest position. I want the camera pretty much just to view my front yard and maybe the street. I don't really want to capture my neighbors house on my camera. They are good neighbors and I want to be able to show them I am not recording their house if it comes up, if that makes any sense.

Any idea on where I should mount it to get the angle I want? I can take better/closer pictures if it will help.

This picture is from Google Street View. I was thinking either above the door or between the door and the window on the left.
20170920_221307 by philipgonzales3, on Flickr

stoneyc

n3wb
Reaction score
don't belive that reolink cameras don't work good with blue iris I have reolink cameras and they all work good with blue iris and for the money you cant beat them good picture good night vision lots of features very reliable probably one of the best cameras I have bought for the money just look at the reviews

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
don't belive that reolink cameras don't work good with blue iris I have reolink cameras and they all work good with blue iris and for the money you cant beat them good picture good night vision lots of features very reliable probably one of the best cameras I have bought for the money just look at the reviews
THE NIGHT VISION IS NOT GOOD. STOP LYING.
The issue is NOT fixed..stop misrepresenting the facts - setting compression to baseline is NOT a solution...even if it is fixed there are MUCH better options than reolink...the dahua starlights and hikvision low light cameras blow them away...reolink as a company lies to its customers and attempts to spam forums like this one. No one should EVER buy their garbage. Only an uninformed amateur like you would recommend it. Stop misleading others.

Their amazon reviews are mostly fake and amazon reviews for ip cameras are unreliable as they are written by amateurs like yourself.
Fakespot | Home Business Video Security Camera System Wired W 4 Bullet Super Fake Review Analysis

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Phillip,

Regarding camera placement at the front of the house:
You will need to decide what is the most important area to cover with you camera, I am guessing either the area at your front door, or in front of the garage.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi Phillip,

Regarding camera placement at the front of the house:
You will need to decide what is the most important area to cover with you camera, I am guessing either the area at your front door, or in front of the garage.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.
Hi, Thanks for the info Mat. I've already begun scanning the info you sent and I'll continue to keep reading up. I think my priority is the front door, second prority would be driveway if possible. I'm thinking something like this? Depending on where I actually mount it and where the door is compared to the roof I may cut off a little more of the driveway but I think that's OK.

AnglePlan by philipgonzales3, on Flickr

Will I need to buy a junction box? It's a rental house and I don't want to make any large holes. My plan was to run the Ethernet cable out an existing hole that is used for coaxial cable. Then just plug the ethernet into the camera. So basically just make the small holes only for mounting the camera. I was reading something that said either drill a big hole for the cable or buy a junction box? Does that sound right?

Regards,

Philip