"Smart Detect" feature of Dahua camera!

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is how Storage>Schedule REC/Snapshot looks. I have regular recording 24/7 and IVS (orange) selected 24/7 for REC and SNAPSHOT. Video(if it is blurry give youtube a few mins to process 1080 version:
I am now able to get IVS video recording to appear on the playback at orange marks on the TV interface.

1. I am unable to see any of the IVS menus via the browser interface or Smart PSS. I only see them on the TV interface, is that normal?

Here are my IVS settings to get the emails notifications to work but no attachments. I think they forgot to program that part:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i dont get any IVS on the WebUI on the 4216-4k either... and SmartPSS 2.0 dont setup IVS on anything yet (Camera or NVR).. I been doing it through the OSD or WebUI directly on the cameras.. since your built in PoE your limited to the OSD unless you plug ur computer into the PoE switch on the back of the NVR.

SmartPSS 2.0 should playback the IVS events though and show them orange now, and it should show IVS rules and object tracking when its enabled.

Snapshots require a few different settings to be enabled; dig arround and make sure they all setup

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok. So don't expect IVS settings to be accessible outside the install location. That is fine as long as I can get them all setup and tested well today.

I am able to get IVS events recorded/marked in orange now. Didn't realize you have to zoom so far in the timeline on the OSD.

Smart PSS does show the IVS rules.

Any idea why only 4 of the 5 cameras show up on Smart PSS when all 5 are recognized on the remote device list? 0:50secs in:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
because you only have 4 windows displayed on a 2x2 grid, go click on the one with the pen and choose the 6 camera screen:
Screenshot 2017-02-03 14.27.55.png
Screenshot 2017-02-03 14.28.21.png

then double click on your NVR and they should all load up, you could alternatively click on the camera not loaded and it should load and replace whatever one is highlighted or drag arround and re-arrange if you want to keep a 2x2 grid.

What are those other ONVIF cameras that are detected and why didnt u add them to the NVR too?

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
I am unable to see any of the IVS menus via the browser interface
i dont get any IVS on the WebUI on the 4216-4k
I can see IVS rules in the browser interface when connected to the local private net, or when connected to the internet. The screens are identical.

cal-ivs-local.jpg

I see triplines on SmartPSS v 1.14.2 (connected to local net). I haven't set up SmartPSS for external access (from internet)
cal-pss.jpg

I have Smart PSS v1.2 on another PC. Let me know if you'd like ivs info from that version.

Fastb

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
hrmm, no idea.. havent seen that, mebe try removing the camera and re-adding it?

@Fastb, the -4k model for some reason hides the IVS settings in WebUI; the code is there in the html but its not showing.. been trying to hack it on but havent gotten very far with as much work as ive been doing.

she's also running on Mac and the only SmartPSS mac version that has IVS SUpport is 2.0

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tried a lot of everything. No luck. Deleted all cameras on the remote page and they all reappear after a few seconds and are added. All 5 cams appear on the old Smart PSS and OSD. But only 4 on the new SmartPSS. Old Smart PSS doesn't allow access to the IVS recordings.

So I am basically stuck at this point. No way to access the 5th camera once I get home to see IVS triggers. If I buy a windows laptop can I access all those pages ok fastb? Even with the cameras behind the NVR?

The Dahua cameras are awesome, but the NVR and apps are very frustrating. They only work 90%, they get you just close enough to make you waste hours on end to get it to work and eventually they don't work full and there is no real documentation. The wiki pages don't describe much, the videos are too simple.

Might be time to give up on the Dahua NVR

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If I buy a windows laptop can I access all those pages ok fastb? Even with the cameras behind the NVR?
I can't say if the problem is Apple vs Windows.
Maybe Smart PSS - the windows & Apple versions differ. Which might explain my results are different than you and nayr's results.
Or is it the NVR? Different models? Can't say. Tho nayr sez the 4K version of his NVR includes html code to support IVS. nayr & I have similar models, but mine isn't 4K capable.

In Smart PSS 1.14, I don't get orange or yellow in the playback timeline. But I get gaps, so I can see footage that's worth looking at. But first I expand the timeline. Default is one screen displays 24 hours. Move the slider to zoom in. Events are easier to spot that way

cal-pybk.jpg

In Smart PSS v 2.0, in playback timeline, I see IVS events. See pic.
Note: I haven't figured out how to zoom/expand the timeline. Look closely at the 10:20am spot.
Note: And I haven't figured out how to have the timeline show more only one cam. As a result, playback is limited to a single cam, even though I'm in 2x2 display mode, and asked for 4 cams of recorded video.
Note: And in 2.00, I don't get a file list of events either.
Note: I haven't read the manual for 2.0, to be fair. Maybe because the manual usually isn't very informative....

cali 2.jpg

Since I'm at my laptop w/ Smart PSS 2.0, I checked IVS lines in "Preview". They're present;

20 ivs.jpg

In SPSS 2.0, I haven't found a way to define rules (set tripwires) The only capabilities I can find relate to MD, Video loss, and Camera Masking.
I haven't used 2.0 much. From what I've seen, I'll a) keep 1.14 around and b) hope my issue is due to cockpit error, and not the PSS app.

Fastb

PS: I never thought of throwing in the towel and switching to BI. Much of my headaches are due to my learning curve. The BI crowd seems to come to this forum looking for guidance. So why trade learning curves, is what I figger.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
If I buy a windows laptop can I access all those pages ok fastb? Even with the cameras behind the NVR?
Using the brower, I can reach the the NVR from the internet, and configure the cams from the internet. But I can't reach the cams directly from the internet, and that's on purpose. Through the NVR, I can change the tripwire from the internet.

Remind me why you can't or won't use the web gui of your NVR when you're remote?
Smart PSS isn't working well for configuring things remotely. And less than ideal for playbck, to see events.
Why not browse into the NVR?

Fastb

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Like Nayr said. I am able to access the nvr web interface, but it is missing all the important menus? It does not have an IBS menu, and it doesn't play the cameras properly. Is that a windows versus Macintosh thing? Or is it because I have a 4K box?

---
You are getting way more functionality on windows than I am on a mac. Since I control my camera is 99% of the time remotely it is a big issue.

All of those things that you mentioned are big stumbling blocks. Why would they not let you zoom in on the timeline to see your triggers better? And why not allow more than one camera? It almost seems backwards The previous version. Also the manuals are so so bad they could probably update all those in a few days in the office but they don't. Why would they add dropbox and easy space buttons that never work?

Doesn't blue Iris solve all of these issues? Or do they have many of their own issues that I am not aware of? I have been reading their threads but I don't see a lot of these issues.

Once the cameras are plugged into the NVR box there is no easy way to remotely log into the camera and adjust settings. Yet the nvr doesn't allow you to access these important settings? It is also very cumbersome to pull files off the NVR when you want to make videos out to them.

With that said the Dahua cameras have been amazing, but I feel like I am only able to use 50% of their power and functionality. It is 2017, there has to be an easier better way.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See, this is what it looks like for me on the browser gui. No IVS menus and lack of IVS payback info. But at least I can see the cams now with the new firmware I guess? Before that there was aways a plug in error and it never worked on a Mac:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Like Nayr said. I am able to access the nvr web interface, but it is missing all the important menus? It does not have an IBS menu, and it doesn't play the cameras properly.
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot some details. The video helped a lot.

Is that a windows versus Macintosh thing? Or is it because I have a 4K box?
The 4K box sounds like it may have issues w/ IVS, based on your reports, and nayrs.
However, you both at Mac users, so the jury is out (o/s vs 4K)

In your playback of chnl 5, you have gaps. Where there IVS events there? Specifically, what happened at 21:10? Is there recorded video there, just not green "normal" recording?

All of those things that you mentioned are big stumbling blocks. Why would they not let you zoom in on the timeline to see your triggers better? And why not allow more than one camera? It almost seems backwards The previous version. Also the manuals are so so bad they could probably update all those in a few days in the office but they don't. Why would they add dropbox and easy space buttons that never work?
Fair comments. I agree mostly. On the other hand, my experience (luckily) has been more positive. Meaning the functionality is teasingly close.

Yes, 2.0 versus 1.14 seems like regress, not progress. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, a) I haven''t used 2.0 much yet (learning curve) and b) I haven't picked up the manual.
I can hear your rebuttal, esp you're the "stereotypical creative type Mac person". (photographer)
The user experience should be intuitive, and new releases shouldn't present a leanring curve (except for the new additional features). So I'll give you that. The Dahua experience is reminiscent of the 80's and 90's. The "dark ages" as compared to today.

Doesn't blue Iris solve all of these issues? Or do they have many of their own issues that I am not aware of? I have been reading their threads but I don't see a lot of these issues.
Again, fair enough.
BI posts don't seem to deal with as many "issues" as Dahua. Maybe as many posts for "how do I do this, that or the other thing?"
Not being a BI user, I don't digest those posts in detail. So this in a peanut gallery observation.

My earlier comment touched on "learning curve". To switch from NVR to BI means you'd start over, near the bottom of a very different learning curve. You've come up to speed here quickly, so I know you're capable of climbing the curve. Another consideration: If you're a single o/s platform person, you have the learning curve of learning Windows. It's harder than iOS. I have a tough time when I use a Mac, since I never learned. (that "curve" thingie, again)

You're so close with the NVR and your system. Sure, the missing pieces involve capabilities important for a remote user, and thwart your use of the system remotely. However, the issues themselves may be resolved easily. It's a mystery how (right now), but seems eminently do-able. Esp w/ nayr facing the same issues - your "white knight" in dreads!

Once the cameras are plugged into the NVR box there is no easy way to remotely log into the camera and adjust settings. Yet the nvr doesn't allow you to access these important settings?
For you and nayr, with the 4K box and Mac versions of apps. Not for me. (not said with a "neener, neener, neener" tone) Instead, I mean the functionality exists, having it work on 4k box w/ mac o/s is inevitable.

It is also very cumbersome to pull files off the NVR when you want to make videos out to them.
My method: I don't use S PSS, and instead use the NVR Playback interface. I enter start time and end time, then download in ASF format. YT accepts ASF.

Now if you wanna edit/splice/merge or other video editing, then you need to convert formats. I used a Sony Vegas to make my video here. I hope that helps.

Conclusion:
I don't know BI, so can't compare/contrast. My intent is to help you, at this fork in the road.

Fastb

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for being so helpful Fastb.

Those gaps were power outages I believe. Or me disconnecting cameras or something else. I reformatted the HD after you mentioned that, and I have been triggering the IVS and trying to see if there are gaps that appear. So far there are not. On the WEB GUI playback page there is only options to select Rec, motion detect or alarm, not the IVS.

If it is as simple as getting a windows computer to run this web GUI at home, that might be a lot easier then switching the recording device. I really have no access to a windows computer. I will have to try to install my VPN on a work computer (bad idea) and see if I can get on the nvr web gui and see if windows adds more functionality. Anyone else have an option to test that? I’d rather not install my Open VPN on a work computer, if I even can.

Functionality is teasingly close is exactly that. Just the tip lol. But not the whole thing. Not satisfied : )

Nayr has helped me tremendously. I would not have got this far without his guidance. I would have given up. And I hate giving up.

Well versed in how to process the video files the NVR spits out. See my video here:
Just saying it could be easier. I do video editing and photos and those apps are much easier to use then Smart PSS for completing tasks. Theres def room in the market to improve CCTV apps. That is why so many home users go to Nest and other companies at the expense of port forwarding risk. They just work and they work well.

I must add. The smart detect features work amazingly well if we could just find a way to get them to trigger snapshots and the Dahu apps and NVR's were all compatible. 50 times better then motion video detection.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
windows wont change anything with this WebUI; have you tried doing the push alerts at all yet? they work alot better than the email snapshots anyhow

The 42XX has IVS on WebUI/OSD
the 42XX-4k has IVS on OSD, nothing on WebUI
the 52xx-4kS2 has IVS on WebUI/OSD
the 42XX-4kS2 has IVS on WebUI/OSD

for some reason we got firmware that is lacking it on the WebUI; I dont use internal PoE so its not really an issue for me at all since I can just set it up on the camera.. but the MacPlugin crashes w/Objects on Live screen.. so sometimes gotta disable IVS, Reload, Relogin and Enable IVS then I can draw lines and do whatever w/out crashing.. the plugin crashing is my biggest PITA and I cant draw IVS rules w/the Chrome App or SmartPSS so its either that or use the OSD..

Cant explain why SmartPSS is not loading up all your cameras; I have 13 hooked up right now and they are all detected, listed and loading perfectly fine.

Last edited:

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
My 5216-4ks2 shows the IVS events on the timeline in orange, and there's an additional checkbox at the bottom to show and hide them like you have for regular, MD, and alarm. The difference has to be the NVR firmware. Have you tried looking at the file list? My 24x7 files are tagged with "R", the IVS files tagged with "I", and alert files tagged with "A". Don't know about motion detect because I don't use it.

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, just tried the push notifications. That would be a good backup option expect that too isn't working. I def enabled the cameras, I triggered the camera so I had to get a email message about it, I have notifications turned on my phone, I save the changes, but no push notifications!!!! Doesn't work

Attachments

Last edited:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My 5216-4ks2 shows the IVS events on the timeline in orange, and there's an additional checkbox at the bottom to show and hide them like you have for regular, MD, and alarm. The difference has to be the NVR firmware. Have you tried looking at the file list? My 24x7 files are tagged with "R", the IVS files tagged with "I", and alert files tagged with "A". Don't know about motion detect because I don't use it.
Definitely no I recordings even though I have been out there triggering email alerts. No option to select orange IVS in web gui:

CaliGirl

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Note: I haven't figured out how to zoom/expand the timeline. Look closely at the 10:20am spot.
I think I figured it out, at least on Smart PSS 2.0, use the mouse wheel to scroll in and out of the timeline. (see video)

After 8-10 hrs of wasted clicking. I have figured out work around or solutions for the lack of mac OS X smart pos functionality or setup.

1. If you are not getting all of your cameras to appear, right click on the NVR in live view, then Channels display> select "show all channels" It defaults back to "binding channels" on every start for me. Once they are loaded in live view they will be avail in playback. You can not do this adjustment on the playback window. Must be in live view first.

2. IF you can't get it to save your log in info and NVR, make sure you have the app located in the applications folder of OSX. IT will not work on the desktop, it didn't know how to save that info when I had the app on the desktop.

3. You can get IVS lines to appear on Smart PSS, you can also get the orange "smart" alarms to appear on the timeline for playback. Just use the mouse wheel to scroll and zoom in to see them. They are hard to find on a 24hr time line.

Video Showing Smart PSS 2.0 working with IVS and playback:

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Caligirl,

Wow, lotsa progress! Is tah because you read the manual? (unlike me, lol)
And thanks for the tips on how to use Smart PSS 2.0
You may have saved me the effort to read the manual!

I saw the blue IVS lines, and some that turned red when something crossed them. But it wasn't you that crossed the tripwire and caused an event. It was some phantom object that IVS was tracking.
For some reason, you weren't picked up as a moving object.
Hmmm.
And instead, other "things" were picked up as objects.

Playing with contrast, sharpness, etc may help the IVS object identification performance improve.

I also noticed a short vertical tripwire near the end of your walk-about. You may want to increase the size of it. Why? 50% of the tracked object must cross the tripwire to create an event. With that short trip line, an object could slip around the line, and only 10% to 40% would traverse the trip line.

I found trip-lines don't have to be simple straight lines. it could be "L" shaped, or saw tooth, etc. I haven't experimented yet. But I thought it might come in handy to make a dog-leg around a branch that swings in the wind....

In push notifications, I see you chose push type of "image". Then you get an error of "no file" presumably. I never tried pushing an image. I prefer to push video, about 20 seconds worth. You might try that. For me, push notification w/ gDMSS was a breeze to set up. Just lucky, I guess.

Functionality is teasingly close
And getting closer!

Fastb