Solving some NFS issues on Hikvision cameras

networkcameracritic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ever find a fix? I too am trying to apply to v5.2 but after reviewing davinci file, don't feel confident the fix will work the same...
It's a tough call because just changing 1 bit will cause the camera not to boot as it now has a checksum to contend with. The other thing that happened is that when I tried to compress the davinci file, I could not get it to compress as small and not sure there's enough space on that mount for something larger which could explain why they removed features like face detection in 5.2.

darrylb

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm. So I may need to downgrade... Joy.

I'm at the point where I just am going to get some DVR software, and build a computer to act as a DVR. Save locally, and sync to my Google Drive or something.

darrylb

n3wb
Reaction score
I say that, but after trying Blue Iris, I must admit I prefer Hikvision's internal software. So, I may downgrade and implement the NFS issue fix in hopes to use my NAS...
Hmm. So I may need to downgrade... Joy.

I'm at the point where I just am going to get some DVR software, and build a computer to act as a DVR. Save locally, and sync to my Google Drive or something.

jm350z

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone help! I have just put on 2 hikvision 2cd2132 domes. Version 5.2.0. Viewing the cameras is fine but for the life of me i cannot get them to record. I have 2 nas drives, first is a WD mybookworld 1TB drive, this does the usual format then uninitialized. I have also tried reducing the user quota to 300gb and still nothing. Second Nas is a netgear readynas 1TB drive. This also formats then goes back to uninitialized. I looked through the posts above and tried to install the older firmware to try that but it will not work, just says update failed.

Is there anything else i can try?

James

liorbn

n3wb
Reaction score
I have DS-2CD2032-I ver 5.2.0 with the same problem after i have format my NAS storage and reboot the storage is back to "uninitialized"
Please what is the string for 5.2?

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What kind of nas?

I have DS-2CD2032-I ver 5.2.0 with the same problem after i have format my NAS storage and reboot the storage is back to "uninitialized"

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've found the maximum volume size the unmodified 5.2.0 firmware will handle for NAS storage is somewhere between 200 and 250GB.
200GB formats just fine and gets used.
250GB formats fine then changes to 'uninitialised' on use.

jimmyt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tested 500gb on freenas and it seemed fine for 48 hours. 9.2.1.8/9. Hikvision 5.2. I may test it again for a longer period.

szulik

n3wb
Reaction score
I've the same problem with my DS-2CD2412F-IW with 5.2 firmware. My NAS is Synology DS 114 with one 2TB disk. Any idea how to fix the problem?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
On my QNAP NAS the storage manager allows the creation of new volumes of a specified size from an available storage pool.
Can you do this with your Synology NAS?

I created a new volume of 200GB size based on some comments on another thread here - and the camera with 5.2.0 firmware formatted OK and recorded to it OK.
I expanded the volume by 50GB, formatted it again, it appeared OK until the camera tried to record after which the status was 'uninitialised'.
So I deleted the volume and created another sized at the original 200GB.
From what I've read on this forum, this behaviour seems to be a known limitation of the 5.2.0 firmware.
We can only hope it's removed on the next update.

szulik

n3wb
Reaction score
As far as I know in Synology creating new volume requires deleting all data on the disk. I haven't tried :)

I've just noticed that 5.2 firmware works fine with SMB so I was able to create new user in Synology with space limit 200GB and now it seems to work properly.

Cgy-User

n3wb
Reaction score
The way I got around this was to downgrade my camera to the 5.1.6 version. This involved setting up a tftp server loading the file onto it, rebooting the camera, once it downgraded, i made the mods specified elsewhere to the appropriate tar.gz file...

I've had to do that twice now, one with a camera I had upgraded to 5.2 and one with a camera I purchased direct from china. The China camera came with English, but after the downgrade only had only Chinese characters. I had to also modify the davinci file to fix that. Those instructions are also located elsewhere.

I have the links but don't have them with me now on the device I'm writing this from. I could post them later if you wish.

DaveM88

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 Hiks recording directly to a Synology NAS. I set up the cameras in April using an old Mac and following the excellent instructions on the Networkcameracritic. Everything was working well until two days ago when the HDD finally became full and the cameras stopped recording. I was expecting the cameras to overwrite the oldest data rather than stop recording. I tried reformatting the HDD for one of the cameras. The NAS then showed 206GB of free space. However the camera shows zero free space and uninitialized. I upgraded the cameras (2 english and 1 chinese) to firmware 5.2 around 3 months ago without any problem.

Questions:
1. Are these cameras supposed to automatically overwrite the oldest data.
2. Is there a setting to overwrite old data on the camera or the NAS.
3. I got a Win 8.1 computer around 3 months ago and have been using it to view/adjust the cameras. As it is now my main computer replacing the Mac, and it appears that I need to make some adjustments to the NAS, should I erase the NAS HDD and start over. From reading earlier in this thread it looks like I need to use SMB rather than NFS and set quotas around 200GB. I currently have one volume with 3 folders (one for each camera). The HDD is a 1TB WD Red and is used only for the cameras. I do not remember setting quotas for the cameras when I did the initial set up.

I thought about using my old Mac to set up the NAS just as I did when I first got the cameras, but I don't want to be in this position again when the HDD is full and the recordings stop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Questions:
1. Are these cameras supposed to automatically overwrite the oldest data.
Yes. I know mine all do and yours must have been to go so long without error. I have 200-250 GB allocated for each of my cams and that's only good for around four days or so, thus I'm seeing constant re-writing of old so that I have a continual history back only several days.
2. Is there a setting to overwrite old data on the camera or the NAS.
The camera dictates it, and it is automatic; no way to alter it (or turn it off by mistake).

3. I got a Win 8.1 computer around 3 months ago and have been using it to view/adjust the cameras. As it is now my main computer replacing the Mac, and it appears that I need to make some adjustments to the NAS, should I erase the NAS HDD and start over. From reading earlier in this thread it looks like I need to use SMB rather than NFS and set quotas around 200GB. I currently have one volume with 3 folders (one for each camera). The HDD is a 1TB WD Red and is used only for the cameras. I do not remember setting quotas for the cameras when I did the initial set up.
I haven't actually tried multiple cameras going to the very same share. I give 200-250 to each of them on my 8.1 machine using SMB. Following instructions I must have posted in this thread I have two USB drives (each 250 gb) for two cams and then a 200 gb partition from an internal drive for one other cam. That way these cameras each have only their own drive. I've not tried combining, but it sounds like your experience suggests it does work and I assume others are doing it as well. I went with my approach because it was the first one I stumbled upon that worked (now up almost two months) and I also had some spare USB drives kicking around.

I'm surprised your cams are not deleting the old footage. I guess I'd try and reinitialize everything and see if that resolves it.

DaveM88

n3wb
Reaction score
LittleBrother, Thank you for your response. Looking at the NAS, I had recordings that go back to April for all 3 cameras. I only record motion detection and they are set to record 5 seconds pre and 30 seconds post. Every couple of weeks I check the NAS and could see the free space shrink so I know the cameras never did overwrite the old data.

I will use my Win computer and reinitialize the NAS with quotas for each camera and see what happens. Hopefully I will be able to get all of them recording again. Right now two of the cameras are recording which I believe is the result of me freeing up the 206GB in my failed attempt to format the HDD for the one camera.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
LittleBrother, Thank you for your response. Looking at the NAS, I had recordings that go back to April for all 3 cameras. I only record motion detection and they are set to record 5 seconds pre and 30 seconds post. Every couple of weeks I check the NAS and could see the free space shrink so I know the cameras never did overwrite the old data.

I will use my Win computer and reinitialize the NAS with quotas for each camera and see what happens. Hopefully I will be able to get all of them recording again. Right now two of the cameras are recording which I believe is the result of me freeing up the 206GB in my failed attempt to format the HDD for the one camera.
Interesting. I guess this is just video you're recording/ If you want to test your new setup you could have them set on continuous. That's why mine fill up 50 GB/day :)

DaveM88

n3wb
Reaction score
After several hours I think I have it working. Here are a couple of things I learned:

1. If your NAS supports NFS and you have a Mac you should be able to make it work. If you have Windows you need the Enterprise Edition. If you have the Enterprise Edition you need to go to the Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows Features on or off and enable NFS. I don't have Enterprise so this did not work for me.

2. I have the plain Win 8.1 so I used SMB. A quota needs to be set for each camera so it does not write to the whole drive which will result in the HDD becoming full and not allowing any additional recording. A good way to do this is to set a partition for each camera to record to and set the quota at the partition level. Unfortunately the Synology NAS that I have is only a single drive and does not have the option to partition. Synology calls a "partition" a "volume".

3. Another way to set quotas for the cameras is to do it at the user level. You set up a separate user name for each camera, set the desired quota for that user, set up a separate folder for each camera, and in the permissions menu on your NAS you give permission for only that one user for only that one folder. Now when I look at the drive capacity on the Storage Management tab on the camera I see only the amount that I gave that camera's user. All 3 of my cameras are now recording so apparently this works. The true test will be when the quota is met to make sure that the cameras start overwriting the oldest data.

4. I was having difficulty setting the file path. Initially I tried "\\frontdoor" This resulted in my frontdoor camera taking the whole HDD. I then changed it to "\frontdoor" and it gave the camera only the quota that I had set.

The above is just a summary of information I found on this and other sites that helped me and hopefully will help others.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
2. I have the plain Win 8.1 so I used SMB. A quota needs to be set for each camera so it does not write to the whole drive which will result in the HDD becoming full and not allowing any additional recording. A good way to do this is to set a partition for each camera to record to and set the quota at the partition level. Unfortunately the Synology NAS that I have is only a single drive and does not have the option to partition. Synology calls a "partition" a "volume".
I agree the partition approach works, and then you set the quota in percentages on the camera (I have 95% for vid, 5% for images), so that the camera uses the entire partition. However, it sounds like you were able to hard-code in a size quota--not just a percentage. Thus, a 500 GB partition for example could have only 200 GB exposed to the camera, but in my storage setting on 5.2.0 firmware all my GB size are grayed out; they only change when I change percentages. It's like the camnera just assumes it will use 100% of the partition. This is with the SMB option.

Were you able to set a specific GB quota when using SMB storage?

DaveM88

n3wb
Reaction score
The quota percentages on the camera are only for the percent of vid and percent of images. I also have mine set to 95% and 5%. The camera will take the whole partition so you need to set up separate partitions for each camera. Since my particular NAS does not have that option I had to set the quotas at the user level. I set up separate folders for each camera and separate user names for each camera, then set the quota on the NAS for each user. This way when the camera formats the NAS the NAS is looking at the user's quota and only allows the user their specified quota. This is the reason it is necessary to set up separate user names for each camera and to make sure that each folder has only one user and one camera.

The person that figured this out is smarter than me.

I set one of my cameras to record continuously so I should know in a couple more days if this actually works, but I believe it will.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great--so I wasn't missing some SMB option. Would be nice if you could set a user quota in windows :)