Solving some NFS issues on Hikvision cameras

davesims

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please delete

maxk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. I used this process on 2CD2332 with 5.1.6 in order to work with my Thecus NAS, which can't assign limits on a share. Without a patch camera was seeing 11TB of total and 3.5TB of free space and when "formatted" it tried to create 42(!) data folders inside a share. That process was always failing prior to finishing. With a patch it actually went all the way. Then I changed info.bin value at offset 0x40 to 0x02 and deleted all but the first two data datadirX folders. On reboot camera is showing ~300GB available for storage, which is much more reasonable, and it's saving data to NAS. I'm yet to see what it's going to do when it fill all of the allocated space all up (it supposed to overwrite) but I will deal with it once I get there.

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi..... I have two DS-2CD2732F-IS Camera's... After messing around with this problem for a while, and then upgrading one of them from 5.1.6 to 5.2.0. I came upon this thread and applied the change to my 5.1 version Camera.. Everything worked.. And all was fine.... However, now I have a camera that is at 5.2 version, and sadly, things aren't so happy for this camera as it still has the same problem, despite the obvious fix, ( not sure why HIKVISION hasn't fixed this yet!)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has found a fix/patch for the 5.2 version. Sadly when I attempt to GUNZIP the davinci.tar.gz file on the 5.2 version not only does my gunzip not recognize it as a gzip file, nor does any other program that I have that normally unzips files, and especially troubling, is that the gzip supplied with the DS-2CD2732F-IS also does not recognize it as a gzip file....

Hoping someone has had some success with this, as I don't know where to find a copy of version 5.1 that I can backout to....

Thanks in advance...
It's LZMA compression. See my commentary here:

http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40240&start=60#262637

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If anybody is looking for a fast way of applying this patch without having to copy files or anything, you can literally just paste this into a telnet session. Standard use at your own risk disclaimer applies.

Only for 5.1.0! Using on any other version will cause problems.
Code:
mkdir /dev/davtar && cd /dev/davtar
tar -C /dev/davtar -xzvf /dav/davinci.tar.gz
echo -ne "\x00\x00\x00\x00\x0B\x00\x5C\xE1\x00\x00\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=/dev/davtar/davinci bs=1 seek=2019916
#next step takes a while due to slow Armv6 CPU
tar -czf /dav/davinci.tar.gz.new davinci
cd / && rm -rf /dev/davtar
chmod 777 /dav/davinci.tar.gz.new
mv /dav/davinci.tar.gz /dav/davinci.tar.gz.old
mv /dav/davinci.tar.gz.new /dav/davinci.tar.gz
Careful with making sure that the echo | dd is all one line (this forum doesn't retain my original formatting for some reason.) Other than that, that's it, no copying files off or opening with a hex editor.

Works for me on 5.1.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

bubba123

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I solved this issue on 5.2.0 by creating a specific account and quota on my Linux machine (essentially my NAS) and then setting up an individual network share for this user. Each cam will need it's own user and share. The benefit of setting up a quota is you can now limit how much space each camera can take without having to setup separate partitions. I setup 50GB quotas for each camera and haven't had any issues recording. This is essentially what I did. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-enable-user-and-group-quotas

TD22057

n3wb
Reaction score
I solved this issue on 5.2.0 by creating a specific account and quota on my Linux machine (essentially my NAS) and then setting up an individual network share for this user. Each cam will need it's own user and share. The benefit of setting up a quota is you can now limit how much space each camera can take without having to setup separate partitions. I setup 50GB quotas for each camera and haven't had any issues recording. This is essentially what I did. https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-enable-user-and-group-quotas
Thanks for this. I just did this on my Linux server and it worked perfectly. This is a lot nicer than partitioning since it will be much easier to change the storage size for each camera by adjusting the quota and re-initializing the camera.

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Guys.
I have a HIKVISION DS-2CD3332-I Turret model and i can't seem to get it to initialise my NAS properly.
The NAS is brand new (WD CLOUD 4TB) running the latest WD firmware.
The cameras are using the V5.2.5 build 141201 firmware.
The NAS is seen by the camera (In CIFS and NFS) and the HDD is shown in the storage tab.

I click Format and the HDD becomes 'Normal'.
Then a few minutes later its back to 'Uninitialised'...
The NAS writes a ton of files to the CCTV share on the NAS when its formatted and the storage tab shows all 4TB's of space, it just won't stay 'Normal' and the camera won't record or write logs.
This is really frustrating!
The WD NAS won't allow you to set a partition/share size or a User Quota size to limit the space... each share is given full allocation on the HDD.
Im completely stuck now :( i only run MAC OS X machines so i can't even run the PCNVR software to manually record.

Please help!

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't tried this on 5.2.5 firmware - just 5.2.0 - there is a limit on the total space of somewhere between 200 and 250GB. Higher than the ceiling and the symptoms as you described occur.
Is there any way (eg thin provisioned volumes as opposed to dedicated partitions) for you to limit the available volume size (not free space) for the camera share?

*Edit* I checked the user manual. There seems to be no flexibility in how storage can be provisioned - no user quotas, no partitioning, no flexible volumes. Nothing that would provide a NAS target for the way the Hikvision camera storage works.
Most NAS devices allow quotas or flexible volumes. This WD model seems very basic indeed.

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
No, the NAS appears to just have 1 large 4TB partition and allows me to create FOLDERS and USERS PERMISSIONS but not quotas or limits.
I have researched and it appears there is no possible way of setting a limit of size at all on the NAS.
The drive is brand new, so i don't really want to 'Hack' it too much as i don't want to remove my warranty.
I don't see why there should be a size issue with the HDD, surely a camera system should allow me to have enough storage for several cameras recording for a few days?
4TB doesn't sound too unreasonable, 200/250GB sounds very low.
I was not aware of any limits when i purchased the cameras :( not many NAS systems seem to allow quotas.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
If you bought the WD NAS specifically to use for camera storage - and it's brand new - maybe consider returning it? It does seem to lack features for the price.

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
Ive noticed a new Firmware is available (5.3.0) but I'm a little scared of upgrading.
But... I'm wondering if it will fix the issue.
It appears you can't downgrade the firmware once you upgrade to 5.3.0... i don't want to brick the camera and the seller did say not to upgrade the firmware.
At the moment, the camera is useless if it won't record to anything :(

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah this is possibly my next step...
I only paid £95 for the NAS which is a bargain for 4TB. but only if i can use it lol.

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
Spoken to Hikvision support UK.
They advised me that they don't really support anything purchased from eBay / China...
However, the support guy i spoke to did say that there was a member of Hikvision China in a meeting at the moment in his office, so he is forwarding my issue to him when he is out of the meeting.
Fingers crossed i will get some support from him and not be left out on a limb with a useless camera!
If theres no fix for the camera i may need to return the cameras and buy another brand of camera that i can rely on, which would be a shame as the camera quality and features are very good.
Ill keep this thread updated with any info or help i get from Hikvision.

fkarahanli

n3wb
Reaction score
I am same configuration as yours (only 3TB WD NAS) and could record. could you please share if you find a solution

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
That's actually a good price (£95) for the WD MyCloud with 4TB, much less than typically advertised. I wonder what type of HDD is inside it? Will it be rated for the 24/7 streaming that a surveillance use requires?

On the cameras - for the image quality and extensive feature set the Hikvision 2-series cameras are very good value for money and hard to beat. And there are not many cameras that support recording to a NAS destination.

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
That's actually a good price (£95) for the WD MyCloud with 4TB, much less than typically advertised. I wonder what type of HDD is inside it? Will it be rated for the 24/7 streaming that a surveillance use requires?

On the cameras - for the image quality and extensive feature set the Hikvision 2-series cameras are very good value for money and hard to beat. And there are not many cameras that support recording to a NAS destination.
Its a re-certified drive (basically a refurb/return).
http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdeu/en_GB/DisplayAccesoryProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.22586100/WD_Outlet/My_Cloud_4TB_Recertified/productID.310174000/categoryId.60680000

Its a great price for what it is, but the options are a little basic...
Still should work with the cameras, considering that WD is a Hikvision partner... you would think that the tech should talk to one another without issues.
http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/partner_more.asp?id=559

This is one of the reasons i picked WD as a NAS, they seems to mention each other in odd articles... so i just presumed WD would be a safe bet for easy setup.

My only other option is to fake a 3.5TB file onto the NAS to fill some space and see if it will initialize with the remaining 500GB and then delete the large faked file...

Hopefully it won't come to that and Hikvision will help us out :)

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not 'free space' but 'total size' that's the determining factor.
You might be able to create a usable share with a partitioned external drive via the USB connection.

avi6581

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

i have the same Wd 4tb. The only one of my hikvisions that works with it and correctly recognised the share is on
Firmware VersionV5.1.0 build 131202

The other all have the same issue as you and are on 5.2.0

Attachments

adamck

n3wb
Reaction score
Typical!
Thanks for posting though.
I can't downgrade from this version so i guess i need to wait for a fix.
Im very uneasy about firmware upgrades, but at the moment my system is only good for live viewing :(

As bought my system from eBay (china) Hilvision don't want to provide me with any support.
They did say they would investigate and get back to me... but heard nothing.
They don't seem to want to accept that the issue with with their firmware!