Speco N16NXP Camera Compatibility

reigndropz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all. Noob here. I had purchased a Zmodo setup years ago and the DVR started failing so I wound up buying a Speco N16NXP thinking I could just swap out the unit because it is PoE but the cameras do not work. I know this is probably obvious to most of you but can anyone recommend what type of cameras I need to buy for this unit? I've been Googling but there's so many different ones and I want to make sure I can buy a few that aren't super expensive and will still be compatible. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @reigndropz

" I had purchased a Zmodo setup years ago and the DVR started failing so I wound up buying a Speco N16NXP thinking I could just swap out the unit because it is PoE but the cameras do not work. "

1) Indeed, many people get defrauded by Zmodo which has numerous times defrauded people with their "PoE" kits, which turn out to not be "PoE" by any meaningful PoE standards.

Zmodo / funlux are basically a bunch of scammers...

So, you know now that the zmodo cameras you have are NOT PoE cameras.

OK, so now for more bad news...

2) The zmodo "cat5e" cables suck. They're not good cables. You will need to replace them.

3) Good news, the Speco NVR you picked up, is a decent PoE standard Dahua OEM NVR.

Best to pair it with a Dahua OEM IP PoE camera(s) - do not get Chinese market models - look for international models, or USA models.

Look for member reviews of Dahua OEM cameras here, and see which cameras may work best for you.

reigndropz

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome @reigndropz

" I had purchased a Zmodo setup years ago and the DVR started failing so I wound up buying a Speco N16NXP thinking I could just swap out the unit because it is PoE but the cameras do not work. "

1) Indeed, many people get defrauded by Zmodo which has numerous times defrauded people with their "PoE" kits, which turn out to not be "PoE" by any meaningful PoE standards.

Zmodo / funlux are basically a bunch of scammers...

So, you know now that the zmodo cameras you have are NOT PoE cameras.

OK, so now for more bad news...

2) The zmodo "cat5e" cables suck. They're not good cables. You will need to replace them.

3) Good news, the Speco NVR you picked up, is a decent PoE standard Dahua OEM NVR.

Best to pair it with a Dahua OEM IP PoE camera(s) - do not get Chinese market models - look for international models, or USA models.

Look for member reviews of Dahua OEM cameras here, and see which cameras may work best for you.
Thank you so much for replying. So even though the old Zmodo set powered the cameras with just a cat5, that is not considered PoE? I was under the impression that if it worked from DVR/NVR to camera with just a Cat5, that it was PoE.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying. So even though the old Zmodo set powered the cameras with just a cat5, that is not considered PoE? I was under the impression that if it worked from DVR/NVR to camera with just a Cat5, that it was PoE.
Hi @reigndropz

The Zmodo "PoE" state is a scam, as documented in the links I've provided.

Zmodo PoE does not meet any PoE standards. This is why those cameras do not work when you connect them to equipment which is based on any PoE standards.

If you check the cables they included in more detail, you will find they did not include a cat5e standard cable.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI -

That is a Chinese Market camera... expect challenges updating the firmware... possible failures to work with updated NVRs due to firmware issues. Look for threads here on that and other Chinese market cameras.

6MP POE IP Camera IPC-HDW4631C-A

here is an older thread on that model...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

reigndropz

n3wb
Reaction score
I read the thread you linked thanks. So I received the camera today and plugged it into the Speco and.....it doesn't even recognize it. As far as you know, just cat5 to the port it should at least show up when I do a detect, yes? I'm asking because I don't know if I have to do any type of manual configuration for it to be recognized.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I read the thread you linked thanks. So I received the camera today and plugged it into the Speco and.....it doesn't even recognize it. As far as you know, just cat5 to the port it should at least show up when I do a detect, yes? I'm asking because I don't know if I have to do any type of manual configuration for it to be recognized.
Hi @reigndropz

Q: As far as you know, just cat5 to the port it should at least show up when I do a detect, yes?
A: Do not expect plug and play with cameras and NVRs which are purchased separately.

Remember to use a proper cat5e/6 cable. Not the ones included with the zmodo kit.

Plan to take some time to setup and sync the appropriate IP configuration information ( IP address, ports, user / password ).

If you're new to IP configuration, plan to take some time learning a bit about it.

There should be some notes in the cliff notes to help with the Camera.

reigndropz

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.