Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

bbp

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try the volt meter. House built in 1990. Hard to get into attic above door

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jeproks

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody had moisture issue? It rained last night and I just saw this:

bbp

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I found the transformer attached to the breaker panel.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Jeesh, if that's it, and it probably is, they wired it with phone quad and not 18/2. Kind of belongs in "The Wall of Shame" thread, too.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That 16v 10 VA transformer should be enough to power it (mine is running on the same size transformer). The wire size and your electrical chime may be the cause of the problem.

bbp

n3wb
Reaction score
Jeesh, if that's it, and it probably is, they wired it with phone quad and not 18/2. Kind of belongs in "The Wall of Shame" thread, too.
The entire house probably belongs in that thread

bbp

n3wb
Reaction score
That 16v 10 VA transformer should be enough to power it (mine is running on the same size transformer). The wire size and your electrical chime may be the cause of the problem.
Any advice on how to proceed? I still need to find my volt meter.

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

You can try hooking up the doorbell to the transformer (using the resister that came in the package, since there will be no chime in the loop) to ensure that it powers on. Your electrical chime may be the problem in the end, but need a volt meter to check what your getting at the door.

qfwfq

n3wb
Reaction score
No, mine has been directly been exposed to water and not had that happen.
Talking about water...mine also gets exposed to water every time it rains. I get tons of motion notifications for the water that runs over the lens cover that bulges out. Has anyone figured out some kind of "visor" to protect it?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Talking about water...mine also gets exposed to water every time it rains. I get tons of motion notifications for the water that runs over the lens cover that bulges out. Has anyone figured out some kind of "visor" to protect it?
It just needs to form a barrier above the lens. If you don't want to build something out of plastic or metal, you could probably glue a Lego with a similar shape on top of the doorbell

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score

First thing I'd do is either re-wire the doorbell with 18/2 low voltage wire, or double or even triple up the number of conductors used in that phone quad. There's four pairs so you could use two pairs for each side of the feeds. The voltage loss with just a single pair, under the load of a mechanical doorbell, will play hell with the doorbell camera.

qfwfq

n3wb
Reaction score
It just needs to form a barrier above the lens. If you don't want to build something out of plastic or metal, you could probably glue a Lego with a similar shape on top of the doorbell

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
I was thinking about something a bit more classy than a glued-on lego brick, but thank for the idea ;)
As soon as my son takes his eyes off his Lego Millennium Falcon... :)

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Has anyone else seen behavior with this cam where the video comes in very delayed and the web interface becomes very slow, after a few days of running?

Restarting the camera always fixes the delay and makes the web interface respond normally again.

I am running the most recent firmware.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes I have seen it, However, I thought it was issues with my wifi, because anytime I checked my 2.4ghz utilization was maxed. I recently, like yesterday, offloaded my wifi cameras including the bell to a seperate wifi AP on its own channel to hopefully resolve the issue. It's only been a day, but so far so good.
I also initially blamed my WiFi. I do believe this is a genuine software (firmware) bug though. I am finding I have to reboot the LAView doorbell cam on a weekly basis because of this behavior.

As a test case, I have another Hikvision cube cam (a DS-2CD2442FWD-IW) also on WiFi at almost exactly the same distance as my LAView doorbell cam. The Hikvision cube never has visual artifacts, delays, or webui slowness.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, But the hik cubes and basically everything else has much better wifi than these doorbells. There are instances of people having to keep an AP plugged in right behind the bell for it to work properly.
Sure, but if the WiFi access point is kept in the same spot, and after some days the camera slows down, and then doing nothing but restarting the camera fixes the slowdown, the cause must lie with the camera.

It actually surprises me that the last major firmware update for this cam is mid-December. Hikvision are usually better than that.

bobfather

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The Dahua VTO2111D_WP is a WiFi/PoE enabled doorbell cam that works with Blue Iris. It has several critical failures though:

1) firmware support is non-existant
2) app is also outdated and low on features
3) requires DC power if you're connecting via doorbell wiring, which means you'll have to buy an AC-DC transformer to get it working

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, running a wire can be a problem. Lens can be had that will work though. Bottom line is that WiFI will always be marginal at best. A wedge camera over or adjacent to the door would work. If you're renting/leasing, you're stuck with the WiFi "solutions". Think about the amount of electronics/processor/RAM plus the WiFi components being crammed into that little case. Kudos to them for getting it to work, at all. It's all about compromises.