Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The doorbell cam is not compatible with digital chime units. You'll need to swap out the digital chime with a mechanical one.

mugendc4

n3wb
Reaction score
The doorbell cam is not compatible with digital chime units. You'll need to swap out the digital chime with a mechanical one.
Thanks for the reply. I was losing my mind because I thought people got it to work using a Diode. I assume it was possible to get a digital chime to work since Ring was able to.

The funny part is, the doorbell was working with the digital chime for a while but once I viewed a playback, the connection drops and the door bell reboots itself.

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was losing my mind because I thought people got it to work using a Diode. I assume it was possible to get a digital chime to work since Ring was able to.

The funny part is, the doorbell was working with the digital chime for a while but once I viewed a playback, the connection drops and the door bell reboots itself.

You probably can get it working with a relay switch

I haven't seen anyone tried it yet but I think it possible.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The diode in the circuit is a half-bridge rectifier, meaning the doorbell is only getting half the power. I'm not familiar why digital chimes need the diode, but if the chime needs a diode the doorbell camera only gets half the power.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The diode in the circuit is a half-bridge rectifier, meaning the doorbell is only getting half the power. I'm not familiar why digital chimes need the diode, but if the chime needs a diode the doorbell camera only gets half the power.
The diode will keep the AC waveform from going below ground. Digital circuits normally don't like to see signals below ground.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The diode will keep the AC waveform from going below ground. Digital circuits normally don't like to see signals below ground.
Ground is relative, since the doorbell has no earth ground connection, the full AC sine-wave can be viewed as all positive, or negative, doesn't matter. Normally a bridge rectifier (full wave rectifier with 4 diodes) would create a positive rail for the digital signal smoothed by a capacitor for a nice DC rail. A full wave rectifier uses all four phases, each 90 degree section, of the 360 degree AC waveform to convert to DC. No doubt the doorbell rectifies the input AC signal to create a DC supply for the ICs in the circuit. The problem with placing the diode in the path is that you cut the AC input power in half, which seems to fall below the minimum input power the doorbell requires.

Now on to digital chimes. The digital chimes need constant power just like the doorbell camera. The doorbell, unlike the old mechanical switch, always completes the circuit, current is always flowing. The doorbell monitors its push button switch to open and close the circuit, just like the mechanical switch, to trigger the coils in the mechanical chime to ding/dong. The digital chime needs the diode across the mechanical switch to ensure it always gets power and detects the mechanical button pressed because the switch when pressed shorts the diode and the digital chimes now detects the full AC wave (vs. half the wave when the diode isn't shorted) and interprets the full wave as the button is pressed and chimes. It continues to play the melody even after the button is released because it is still getting power through the diode.

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ground is relative, since the doorbell has no earth ground connection, the full AC sine-wave can be viewed as all positive, or negative, doesn't matter. Normally a bridge rectifier (full wave rectifier with 4 diodes) would create a positive rail for the digital signal smoothed by a capacitor for a nice DC rail. A full wave rectifier uses all four phases, each 90 degree section, of the 360 degree AC waveform to convert to DC. No doubt the doorbell rectifies the input AC signal to create a DC supply for the ICs in the circuit. The problem with placing the diode in the path is that you cut the AC input power in half, which seems to fall below the minimum input power the doorbell requires.

Now on to digital chimes. The digital chimes need constant power just like the doorbell camera. The doorbell, unlike the old mechanical switch, always completes the circuit, current is always flowing. The doorbell monitors its push button switch to open and close the circuit, just like the mechanical switch, to trigger the coils in the mechanical chime to ding/dong. The digital chime needs the diode across the mechanical switch to ensure it always gets power and detects the mechanical button pressed because the switch when pressed shorts the diode and the digital chimes now detects the full AC wave (vs. half the wave when the diode isn't shorted) and interprets the full wave as the button is pressed and chimes. It continues to play the melody even after the button is released because it is still getting power through the diode.
Can you explain this, we have the Ring Pro and a digital chime. When I first installed the Ring with the diode, the chime would keep ringing like it was stuck. Not the complete tune, but like it was skipping and the Ring would not work. I removed the diode and everything works perfectly. The chime plays its tune completely and the Ring works.
The chime would not complete its tune without the diode before the Ring install.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can you explain this, we have the Ring Pro and a digital chime. When I first installed the Ring with the diode, the chime would keep ringing like it was stuck. Not the complete tune, but like it was skipping and the Ring would not work. I removed the diode and everything works perfectly. The chime plays its tune completely and the Ring works.
The chime would not complete its tune without the diode before the Ring install.
I'm not really familiar with the Ring product but I believe the Ring IS compatible with digital chimes, meaning that Ring most likely incorporates the diode internally, half wave rectifying the power to the digital chime to keep it happy (just as the external diode would in a mechanical chime setup). When you press the Ring's button, it removes the diode briefly from the circuit to provide a full AC signal to the digital chime which triggers the chime to play. Adding the diode externally messed this up because you half-wave rectified the AC line to the Ring, which cut it power in half.

RicRat2009

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not really familiar with the Ring product but I believe the Ring IS compatible with digital chimes, meaning that Ring most likely incorporates the diode internally, half wave rectifying the power to the digital chime to keep it happy (just as the external diode would in a mechanical chime setup). When you press the Ring's button, it removes the diode briefly from the circuit to provide a full AC signal to the digital chime which triggers the chime to play. Adding the diode externally messed this up because you half-wave rectified the AC line to the Ring, which cut it power in half.
Strange, cause Ring gives you two diodes for digital chimes, Instructions tell you to install one. Even explaining how to tell the two, mechanical vs digital, apart.
I had installed the digital and expected to need the diode.

scn101

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Strange, cause Ring gives you two diodes for digital chimes, Instructions tell you to install one. Even explaining how to tell the two, mechanical vs digital, apart.
I had installed the digital and expected to need the diode.
I watched this Ring video, Using the Diode Included with Your Ring Video Doorbell , and it does say to install the diode for digital chimes, at least on that model which is the non-Pro model. I'm thinking the diode isn't need (and shouldn't be used) for their Pro model?

alienatsf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
anyone has any problem logging into hik-connect ios app today? i had been using laview connect app on ios and switched to hik-connection ios app without a problem. i uninstalled the laview app two days ago and then i got problem logging into hik-connect ios app today. the error says something like "log into your account or select a country of origin". my wife's ios uses the same login credential but has the laview ios app instead, and it is working fine. so this morning i deleted the hik-connect ios app and installed the laview connect app again. the laview app still worked. not sure what's going on with the hik-connect app

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@alienatsf After you first install Hik-Connect you have to select your country otherwise I don't believe it will work.

JohnMX

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm having same problem with android. Can't log into LaView, Hik-connect apps, or even hik-connect.com. I'm also getting account doesn't exist message when I tried to reset my password.
It seems like my account got deleted or something. I'm pretty sure I'm using correct email and password.

alienatsf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having same problem with android. Can't log into LaView, Hik-connect apps, or even hik-connect.com. I'm also getting account doesn't exist message when I tried to reset my password.
It seems like my account got deleted or something. I'm pretty sure I'm using correct email and password.
I uninstalled the hik-connect ios app and then installed the laview connect ios app and it worked fine. it is still working. so it seems something is wrong with their server.

alienatsf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i just tried the RCA security android app and also the hik-connect android app. i got the same login error "input a correct account or select a correct country/origin". i did select the correct country at start. not sure what's going on.

Reaction score
i just tried the RCA security android app and also the hik-connect android app. i got the same login error "input a correct account or select a correct country/origin". i did select the correct country at start. not sure what's going on.
I tried resetting my pw, but it said it didn't recognize my username or email. I then tried to create a new account with my username and it said it already exists.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

RyanODan

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Ive been getting the same error today too. It appears they may be segmenting the servers so you're only allowed to log into the server you originally signed up on. That's a guess though.

alienatsf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive been getting the same error today too. It appears they may be segmenting the servers so you're only allowed to log into the server you originally signed up on. That's a guess though.
I also suspected the same thing. i originally signed up in the laview app. laview one was the first one i bought and then i bought other brands later but was able to use laview and hikvision apps to combine all. now only the laview app works.