Sweet! LTS is releasing an ONVIF compatible doorbell with SD card slot and 940nm IR

Reaction score
It would be great if you could capture some night time pics with porch lights on, and off.
I typically do not turn on the porch light.
Will do. I'm not promising much, based on the results from the low-quality stream.
Maybe the IR blowback isn't nearly as bad with the high-quality stream.

Nope, it's just as bad with the high-quality stream. You can even see the reflected image of the lens. This is a VLC snapshot from the RTSP main stream, reduced in size 50% using MS-Paint.

vlcsnap-error274.png

Finally, here's the VLC snapshot (reduced 50%) from the RTSP main stream, with the porch lights on. The lens is still reflected, although not so badly as with IR.

vlcsnap-error528.png

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
That pic looks good, with your porch lights on. Minor lens reflecting but could be doable.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there a way to replace the lens? The fisheye view looks awful.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ring and SkyBell don't use those convex lenses so I don't see why they couldn't have used A flat lens cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
@VorlonFrog excellent job digging into the firmware and deducing the RTSP path despite LTS. The main stream looks good. Good enough at least for what this is. I'm not crazy about the fisheye either but the 180deg view seems to capture your patio about perfectly. My doorbell is facing perpendicular to my door on an adjacent wall, so I think I definitely would need the same FoV. I wonder if you could angle the unit down a bit to capture more floor vs ceiling to better see any packages left at your doorstep, though that may cut the head off of taller visitors that come knocking. Ring sells some stackable shim kits to do just that for their lineup, which is smart albeit somewhat overpriced. What kind of frame rate/bit rate are you seeing over wifi?

Reaction score
Blue Iris is reporting a rather low 6 frames per second, and about 128K Bytes per second, or 1024 Kbits per second. The wireless access point (Asus RT-AC68/U) is one exterior wall and less than ten feet away, so it's not a wireless signal strength issue. The router is reporting 98% signal strength for the doorbell. It would probably be more realistic to report the captured rates from an actual video, which won't be available until later today. It captured two short clips yesterday of the USPS dropping off the mail, and my wife retrieving the mail, but I didn't save those. @actran I've since used the Blue Iris AOI (Area of Interest) to discard the warped outer edges of the video signal, and want to see just how well that video appears, later today.

@bigredaggie I like your idea about using shims behind the doorbell to angle it down some. I'll have to pursue that tonight/Saturday. I've got some small brasss washers I can stack beneath the top mounting screw. Two or three ought to do the trick.

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe the ring does use a fish eye lens.
I was talking about the lens cover, not the lens itself. I forget what the FOV of my Skybell HD is, but it doesn't have a convex lens cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the new night pics. Wow, IR by itself is still really bad, guess that's no surprise. Not sure how they expect to sell these if you want to use this as your main front door camera, which I would expect is most people.

Reaction score
Thanks for the new night pics. Wow, IR by itself is still really bad, guess that's no surprise. Not sure how they expect to sell these if you want to use this as your main front door camera, which I would expect is most people.
The problem with this is, even if you added an external IR illuminator, you cannot disable the IR lamps on the doorbell.

HEY!!! Hikvision and/or LTS!!!
1. The lack of a web or batch configuration ability is a MAJOR SHORTCOMING. :smash:
2. The lack of ONVIF compatibility is a MAJOR SHORTCOMING.
3. The IR illumination is UNUSABLE in either the sub or main streams.
4. You may not like it, but you really should listen to some of your end-users.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After getting home this afternoon from work, I inserted three small flat washers behind the top of the doorbell. It didn't really make much difference. I added two more for a total of five, and really don't like the gap at the top, between the doorbell and the wall. It appears they've angled the sensor upwards somewhat to insure catching faces at the door, and that's the reason for so much ceiling coverage and so little (well, none at all) floor coverage. :( :(
The more I deal with this device, the more I believe a Dahua mini-wedge Starlight camera over the door would be a much better option. :ohsnap:

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Looks much better, but vorlon is right. This product is definitely half baked. I hope Hikvision/LTS get it together, but the glare seems like a physical defect...

Reaction score
Looks much better, but vorlon is right. This product is definitely half baked. I hope Hikvision/LTS get it together, but the glare seems like a physical defect...
"Not ready for prime time" is the exact quote I gave to LTS support via chat.

I also supplied them with the RTSP URLs for their future benefit.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im happy with image quality after you shared the full resolution porch image without IR, but a few deal breakers that need resolution first. Has it been available every time you check? What about response time when motion is triggered?

Reaction score
@lagvoid I'm not certain whether the app got updated overnight, or I just never saw this button before (and I seriously doubt I'd have missed it) but there's now a button that allows you to select between the "Basic" or "HD" streams from the doorbell. I need to check later, when away from the house, if this option is available on LTE service or only on my LAN.

Interesting thing was, the doorbell rebooted sometime overnight, as evidenced by the IP address changing. It connected to a general DHCP address when I installed it, but I also reserved a static address for the first time it rebooted. I wonder if the doorbell downloaded a firmware patch while I wasn't looking?

iOS app version V3.1.0.170830
Doorbell Firmware V1.4.61 build 170907

To answer your questions:
1. Yes, it's been available every time I checked, from work or at home. WiFi connection status has varied between 98% and 100%, so the signal is quite stable for me.
2. I can't vouch for response time, yet. The actual number of people who come to our door is small. Mostly, it's USPS or UPS and unless a signature is required, they don't use the doorbell.

Last edited:

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Very interesting. This doorbell has potential. Does it have an option to notify on motion too? Or is it onlywhen doorbell is pressed?

Reaction score
Very interesting. This doorbell has potential. Does it have an option to notify on motion too? Or is it onlywhen doorbell is pressed?
I received a notification while we were out, but I think it was just our flag in the breeze, to be honest. No video was recorded by the camera, because I didn't insert an SD card when installing it. Blue Iris captured two of our neighbors, coming by to ask a question. I'll be honest, I don't pay a lot of attention to the phone when I'm out in traffic, especially on Saturday. I can see where they pressed the doorbell button, and I'll say for the record I must have completely missed the app alerting me at the time.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Haha I completely understand. I really hope they enable web management. It makes no sense not to when they allow it for all their other devices.

Reaction score
When my "local distributor" is back in town on Monday, I plan to provide him a list of shortcomings, notably IR issues, web configuration ability, and no ONVIF support. All of these are the result of simply cutting down the existing video intercom firmware to bare minimums. Unless they have a lot of future changes for the doorbell already in store (and I seriously doubt it!) there's no reason not to include these features.

Reaction score
While we wait... Anybody seen this Samsung/Wisenet D1 doorbell camera that was just released? Touts several smart features like facial recognition and abnormal sound alerts like glass breaking. Avail on HSN of all places but supposed to hit amazon and Sams club in October. No idea if onvif compatible or closed architecture.

The Wisenet-SmartCam D1 not only sees who’s at the door but identifies them, too

Samsung SmartCam High-Definition Video Doorbell - 8534791 | HSN
Wrong thread for this I know, but thought I'd share this response from Samsung about their new doorbell cam. Not ONVIF, but sounds like pulling the RTSP stream to Blue Iris would be doable. I might try it once it's available on Amazon- I've never bought from HSN before. At least they were able to provide the path...

"The D1 doorbell cannot be accessed via a web browser and it is not ONVIF compliant. In order to access the camera you must use the Wisenet SmartCam+ app or capture a direct RTSP stream with one of the strings listed below.

rtsp://admin:<camera password>@<camera ip>/profile5/media.smp
/profile4/media.smp
/profile3/media.smp
/profile2/media.smp
/profile1/media.smp"