System design input.. Camera models?

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello and thanks,
Long time lurker first time poster.

I am looking for a POE/NVR system that will probably only have 2 cameras)...

I was sold on the Reolink Dome/Bullet/NVR until I found this forum and started researching.

Not looking for anything crazy, just a good /solid camera and NVR that that is somewhat easy to set up for remote access to live and archived clips.

HikVision and Dahua seem to be the 2 brands for the cameras .. but it is the post install portion(iphone apps, computer viewing) that I have a concern with and no real knowledge about.

Reolink seemed to be somewhat simple prior to reading some of the challenges here people have had..

One installer I spoke w/ recommended
Hikvision 4MP Dome Camera DS-2CD2142FWD-I and the 2342 Turret but dont think either had sound..

Again, not looking for the highest end stuff, just a good solid 4mp or better system .. best bang for buck.

Any feedback on actual model numbers is appreciated.
Only real requirement is to be able to record audio ... sending it would be a plus.. I already have Cat5E runs inside the walls to the camera locations.

Locations of cameras wont really need any pan tilt features ..

Thank you again.

woolfman72

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
while I am still learning a lot. I had a Hikivision Nvr to start and now I am using a computer dedicated to blue iris. When it comes to the phone app. I don't think there are many options out there that come close to blue iris. remote viewing. Remote history playback. alert clip playback. Push notification. I don't think blue iris misses the mark anywhere when it comes to its app.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
avoid the 4mp cams if you want solid low light and night vision...read the threads on the dahua starlight and hikvision low light cameras...

NGL

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks all.

The main camera (front door) will be above the door near the ceiling of the porch.. about 3 feet out in the center of the porch are 2 mini 4" 40watt can lights .. so there will be light AT the porch but once you leave the porch at night it will be darker.. if it helps, porch is approx 6 feet deep then yard is another 15 to the curb..

For the record, I am not being lazy in asking for suggestions.. I have read up on the different cameras, starlight, etc..

My problem is I will keep reading up on things for the next 2 months if I dont get some feedback:) .. I actually bought the reolink turret and bullet on amazon yesterday then found this forum and cancelled my order.

Every installer I talk to has pushed 4mp and 5mp so to the "semi" uneducated, it is tough for me to understand how a 2 MP will outperform them..

I have spare laptop I can use instead of an NVR and as mentioned earlier, the cat 5e cables are already in the camera locations and terminate in the garage from my old system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Every installer I talk to has pushed 4mp and 5mp so to the "semi" uneducated, it is tough for me to understand how a 2 MP will outperform them..
That push it because the 4mp and 5mp are much cheaper than good quality 2mp low light cameras....there are plenty of threads that explain why they work better and well as images that SHOW you that they are in fact significantly better. Many installers know less than you do about the cameras.

xips

n3wb
Reaction score
Another consideration in your system design is storage available for the 20/20 hindsight views. 4mp will use storage media twice as fast over a 2mp cam. While storage media is getting cheaper all the time, it aggregates quickly. The 2mp cam is what I consider the best of all options available for the time being. See Camera storage calculator.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome NGL!

I had similar concerns when I recently started looking for security / surveillance camera options - I've tried a lot of less than effective solutions, and this site is a TON of great information from numerous members with a lot of experience.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

For the front door I really like the Dahua Mini-Dome Wedge form factor ( please see the notes above ). Try to keep it low enough so you can ID people.
Checkout Tygunn's video to get an idea of this: Dahua minidome catches guy casing house

Also note that if you pick cameras which take micro-SD cards for storage you can hold off on a NVR for now.

Have fun!